Separates vs. Integrated (RR2160 or Used Parsound HINTO) - Budget Edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fish17, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks that link worked, now instead of spending that $100 in a tube, I'm looking at a Parasound Classic 2125 V2, same power as the Emotiva but it also has A/B speaker selection which I really like.

Rick58 likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The Freya + seems to be a different design than the Saga + so it's not only 'balanced vs. single-ended'. Plus if you want to consider a balanced-in amp(s) you'd have those options too. Just trying to get you to spend more money! :)

3. Fish17

I'm leaning towards spending that extra money towards a Parasound 2125 V2.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    bever70, Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  4. Fish17

What do you mean by different design? ​

5. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

I have an Emotiva a300 with the matching pt100 pre. Excellent equipment for the money and good sterile power. Be careful not to clip the 300 or you will be replacing drivers... Lol. I now have a McIntosh ma252 integrated and couldnt be happier but its much more money.

Fish17 likes this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Balanced = XLR connectors, Single-ended = RCA connectors. If you get the 2125 V2 it's single-ended only, so you wouldn't need the balanced preamp outputs. You could still get the Saga + and play with the tube though ... :D

7. Fish17

Any thoughts on the 2125 V2? For the money I could also get a used A23 but that doesn't have A/B speakers but does have a balanced connection.

I see why everyone get's sucked into this lol.

Rick58 and Monty12 like this.
  8. Fish17

It looks like a solid piece of gear, I'm debating on spending a little more on the parasound 2125 V2, gives me A/B speakers.

9. Daring

You will never regret spending more up front to get what you want. Ask me how I know. Happy hunting...

bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  10. Fish17

Are you not happy with your A-300?

Problem is I don't know what I want, I don't have the need for the A/B but I like the idea of adding speakers outside. I'm also drawn towards parasound as people rave about them here.

Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Saga + is a "hybrid push-pull tube buffer, featuring a dual triode tube and a pair of BJTs (bipolar junction transistors)" whereas the Freya + ...

Compound Differential Buffer
    Gain: 1 (0dB)
    Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
    THD: <0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
    IMD: <0.0055%, CCIR
    SNR: >120db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
    Output Impedance: 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
    Topology: JFET differential amplifier compound pair with equalized-gm followers

(I THINK this is about = to the Saga +, but presumably the "JFET differential" design is a little more sophisticated. Using a pair of tubes/JFETs possibly allows balanced output, whereas the Saga + circuit may not, or balanced output just isn't implemented in the Saga + for cost savings.)

Tube Gain
    Gain: 4 (12dB)
    Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 3Hz-200KHz, -3dB
    THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
    IMD: <0.01%, CCIR
    SNR: >115db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
    Output Impedance: 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
    Topology: differential triode input with semi-circlotron follower stage

(I think this is the other pair of tubes, used as a x4 gain stage (which you may not need, of course, and would likely just be attenuated with the volume control). All this MAY make things better sounding though ...?)

Seems like with all of these, one can switch in/out the tube stage(s) ... just more stuff to play/experiment with.

12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I lust after the Parasound A21 at some point ... the brand is pretty much universally praised as having excellent sonics and value.

Monty12 and Daring like this.
  13. Daring

I was happy with it for what I pd. It really is nice gear. I messed up and demo'd the ma 252 and is in a different League and is now in my main system. Plus I like to listen at high volume sometimes and blew 2 drivers with the a300...my fault. Never heard any parasound but it has a great reputation.

14. Daring

And its good looking too.

Monty12 likes this.
  15. Daring

One thing I've learned when looking for gear is only listen to pieces in your price range. You cant unhear the better more expensive stuff... :unhunh:

Madness, bever70 and Fish17 like this.
  16. Daring

The outlaw was on my short list when I bought the Emotiva. That unit has a long list of features and a built in sub crossover. Love the art deco style too. It gets rave reviews too.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Fish17

That's why I'm thinking it's better to spend the money on something with excellent sonics, although I'm sure the A-300 sounds great in it's own right.

Problem is I can't find much as far as reviews on it, someone on youtube raved about the 2250 which is the next step up from the 2125.

18. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I had an RR2150 for a while, while the amp section is great, the preamp section sucks. Get a HINT, it’s better all around. I would even argue to try and find a gently used Yamaha AS-2100.

19. Fish17

I'm leaning towards separates instead of a integrated. Right now I'm focused on the Emotiva A-300 & the Parasound 2125 for the power amp and the Schiit Saga for the preamp although there is a lot of love to the Freya +.

bever70 likes this.
  20. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

If you have the cash, go for the Freya+. It’s not worth questioning yourself down the line

21. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I run a 2125 v2 with a Peachtree Nova Pre, and recently added a second one to run them bridged. I have a fantastic soundstage, well defined bass, and fantastic dynamics. Of course so much of this is system dependent. I think it is a solid choice though.

On the topic of hybrid tube designs. I found a substantial difference in tubes with my Project Tubebox DS, also a hybrid design. I haven’t heard the Schiit, but the internet does seem to suggest a similar experience to mine in regards to responding well to tube changes.

bever70 and Fish17 like this.
  22. Fish17

I think the Freya+ is overkill, I don’t have balanced connections.

bever70 likes this.
  23. Fish17

A 2125 V2 owner! I’m leaning towards it so I can have the ability to power a set of outdoor speakers as well. Plus it’s sounds like it will run cooler as it has 2 heat sinks versus the A300s 1. There have been issues with the fans noise on with the a300, sounds like they cut a corner with going with 1 heatsink.

Why did u go with the 2125 v2? I can’t find any reviews on it but it’s a parasound so there’s that lol.

24. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I use the the second output for my SVS sub. Just make sure you aren’t trying to run two sets of speakers rated at 4ohms simultaneously. I do believe this would put you at risk of dipping below there 2ohm rating. I do think it is a great value, but I sometimes wonder what the A23 might have done better. Now that I have a pair though I think I’ll be happy for many years to come.

You never said what speakers these would be driving.
    [​IMG]

bever70 likes this.
  25. Fish17

Nothing fancy KEF Q150s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.