Sept 2018 Criterions announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

ANDREI RUBLEV

SPECIAL FEATURES
    New 2K digital restoration of the director’s preferred 185-minute cut, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    New 2K digital transfer of the original 205-minute version of the film, The Passion According to Andrei
    Steamroller and Violin, Tarkovsky’s 1961 student thesis film
    The Three Andreis, a 1966 documentary about the writing of the film’s script
    On the Set of “Andrei Rublev,” a 1966 documentary about the making of the film
    New interviews with actor Nikolai Burlyaev and cinematographer Vadim Yusov by filmmakers Seán Martin and Louise Milne
    New interview with film scholar Robert Bird
    Selected-scene commentary from 1998 featuring film scholar Vlada Petric
    New video essay by filmmaker Daniel Raim
    New English subtitle translation
    PLUS: An essay by critic J. Hoberman

COLD WATER

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
    New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Olivier Assayas, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    New interview with Assayas
    New interview with cinematographer Denis Lenoir
    Excerpt from a 1994 French television program on the film featuring Assayas and actors Virginie Ledoyen and Cyprien Fouquet
    New English subtitle translation
    PLUS: An essay by critic Girish Shambu
    New cover by Eric Skillman

MY MAN GODFREY

SPECIAL FEATURES
    New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    New piece about the film with jazz and film critic Gary Giddins
    New discussion about director Gregory La Cava with critic Nick Pinkerton
    Outtakes
    Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1938, starring actors William Powell, Carole Lombard, Gail Patrick, and Mischa Auer
    Newsreels from the thirties documenting the class divide during the Great Depression
    Trailer
    PLUS: An essay by critic Farran Smith Nehme

A RAISIN IN THE SUN

SPECIAL FEATURES
    New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    Interview from 1961 with playwright and screenwriter Lorraine Hansberry
    New interview with Imani Perry, author of Looking for Lorraine, on the real-life events on which the play is based
    Episode of Theater Talk from 2002 featuring producer Philip Rose and actors Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis
    Excerpt from The Black Theatre Movement: From “A Raisin in the Sun” to the Present, a 1978 documentary, with a new introduction by director Woodie King Jr.
    New interview with film scholar Mia Mask, author of Poitier Revisited
    Trailer
    PLUS: An essay by scholar Sarita Cannon
    Cover based on a poster for the theatrical production of A Raisin in the Sun

SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE

SPECIAL FEATURES
    High-definition digital transfers of both the television version and the U.S. theatrical version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray
    Interview with director Ingmar Bergman from 1986
    Interviews from 2003 with actors Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson
    Interview from 2003 with Bergman scholar Peter Cowie comparing the two versions of Scenes from a Marriage
    PLUS: An essay by author Phillip Lopate

Cover by Eric Skillman

ando here likes this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Definitely in for 'Cold Water', 'Andrei Rublev' and 'Scenes From A Marriage.'

3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

A Raisin in the Sun for me, I have Andrei Rublev and My Man Godfrey on criterion dvd already.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

About bloody time for Andrei Rublev!

Kubricker and ando here like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really liked Andrei Rublev and used to have the Criterion DVD. Not sure I have the patience for it. Same with Solaris. I respect these greatly, but I don't enjoy watching them as much now. I'm glad to see its finally coming out though, so I know its available if I ever do feel like watching it again.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

still no Larry Crowne 3 hour Directors Cut. Sigh

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

If released in the UK, definitely Andrei Rublev. The extras look incredible.

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Andrei Rublev is a dream upgrade, akin to Welles’s Othello. I have the Criterion DVD of the 205-minute cut already (as well as the AE BD of the 185-minute cut), but I’m excited at the prospect of a new 2K transfer.

Also, The Steamroller and the Violin for the first time in an English-friendly BD edition.

First day purchase for me, regardless of region.

Kubricker and ando here like this.
  9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I was actually searching for some forum commentary on Solaris when this thread came up in the results. And my, what great news. AR has been my favorite film for as long as I can remember having such a thing as a favorite movie. In my little movie-going experience no other film has been more beautifully revelatory of the human condition, though I've seen thousands of movies (there must be tenfold more that I haven't). I think it's the wide panorama of humanity in its sublime community and individual striving as well its utter depravity and destructiveness that I feel Tarkovsky captures here. He's able to do it by creating a vision of the world through another great artist without being tied down to narrative. Story has always bored me, which I guess is another reason why I love revisiting a film like this. Solaris takes this rambling, explorative approach initially, however once we leave earth (imo) it all goes downhill. I'm watching it again tonight and I'll probably nodd off once Kris takes off but just wanted to thank you for the T post. Psyched!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Kubricker and stepeanut like this.
  10. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

But the dvd of AR was non-anamorphic letterbox.

Al Kuenster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.