Series worth the money on DVD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmasters9, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Dexter Seasons 1 + 2.

2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

One more of mine: M Squad. The main reason why I like the original release of this 1957-60 NBC police series w/the late Lee Marvin as Lt. Frank Ballinger (from Timeless Media) is because it has a CD reissue of the 1959 RCA Victor soundtrack of the series; IIRC, Lee Marvin said at one time that the soundtrack was so popular, it was selling like hotcakes, and more copies had to be ordered.

Besides that, the show is another one of the greatest I've ever seen, with Lee's character's dogged determination to solve each and every one of the 117 cases put before him during the three-season run of the show.

3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

All in the Family, Three's Company, Wonder Woman, King of Queens, Seinfeld (AWESOME EXTRAS)...and Starskey and Hutch (surprisingly looks OK being a Mills Creek thing).

I hope the second season of Kevin Can Wait comes out.

If someone does a search for Kevin Can Wait Season 2 DVD maybe that will help..he he.

bmasters9 likes this.
  4. Crime Story
    Northern Exposure

5. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

NewsRadio for Phil Hartman and the theme song. Video quality not great in 4x3 format but watchable and a young Maura Tierney is easy on the eyes .

Planbee, George P and eddiel like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I suppose if it's not legally streaming anywhere (episodes uploaded to YouTube I'd consider a grey area), TV DVDs are still worth their weight if not the stupid prices the out of print shows go for.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

These shows used to have no intrinsic value, being appraised as "free" to the original viewers, who assumed you "pay" by sitting through commercials. Now that the vendor is either the studio that produced it or the video arm of a media conglomerate who owns it, soaking the same viewers for an extra income-stream, changes the dynamic somewhat. If you price it too low, that brings down the value in the eyes of the marketplace. Price it higher, and suddenly the show from your youth that used to be the backdrop in the family room for when you did your homework, is now suddly "collectible".

Claus LH likes this.
  8. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

SNL original cast, tho I wish they had put some seasons out from the Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman cast years & the Will Ferrell/Chris Farley years.

The Simpsons up until whatever season you thought it started sucking ;)

David Campbell likes this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Mill Creek is putting so many complete series out at dirt prices it kinda makes the OP a moot question. Quantum Leap for example.

That said , when I thought about it what I have the most of are the cop shows, JAG, NCIS, CSI(all 3), Law and Order(original and SVU). honetly though I got started on those at Big Lots for 5-8 bucks a season not counting sales.

10. arley

arley Forum Resident

The Ascent of Man with Dr. J. Bronowski.

Whereas Kenneth Clark's Civilization documents man's progress through the arts, Bronowski follows his progress from the aspect of scientific discovery. The DVD's aren't particularly beautiful (IIRC the series was originally shot on 16mm film, and this series could benefit from a knowledgeable restoration) but Bronowski's erudition and command of language more than makes up for any visual shortfalls. Simply brilliant.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    GillyT likes this.
  11. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Love that show. Such a crime it was canceled. Did you get the DVD set that came in the awesome high school yearbook?

clhboa likes this.
  12. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, I ordered that baby as soon as it was released.

Sternodox likes this.
  13. Sternodox

Me too. Isn't it gorgeous! If I'm feeling down I can watch that show and it always lifts my spirits. I can watch that show over and over.

clhboa likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

In terms of rewatchability, I don't think anything will ever touch the Blackadder series. Each series is basically a different style of comedy, but they're all hilarious.

GillyT, Sternodox and Jazzmonkie like this.
  15. Sternodox

Not really a big fan of the first one. But the others ... especially WWI ... are bust a gut hilarious.

"I have a cunning plan!"

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Roseanne is on a Mill Creek set right now....dirt cheap.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess any DVD set that's not on BD and is a favorite is worth getting...

18. Michael

Freaks and Geeks never had a reunion show...or did it?

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a cunning plan if it painted it's self purple and danced naked upon a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'!"

GillyT and Sternodox like this.
  20. Michael

The Munsters is a fabulous bargain these days on DVD...I paid thru the nose for my 2 seasons and then for the complete box (non flippers) ...wonder if we'll see a BD someday?

21. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Just bought The Shield complete series on DVD for $38. I've been waiting for it to stream on one of my services, but it doesn't. The Blu Ray is coming out in a few weeks. I'd usually wait for that, but it's nearly 100 bucks more and blu rays lately leave out special features, subtitles, resume features. And the DVD quality tends to be actually pretty good.

bmasters9 and audiomixer like this.
  22. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Life On Mars season 1 & 2

audiomixer likes this.
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Love the first few seasons of Streets and Miller. I'd prefer sets of those than the entire run of both.

bmasters9 likes this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Very good series, especially for McQueen fans. Cheap, too.

25. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

The Knick

Great acting
    Great directing
    Great historical drama
    Great musical score (avoids the cliche time period approach)
    Bono's hot daughter

JackBnimble and audiomixer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.