Setting Up A Marantz TT-15S Turntable, Just A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

I have ordered this little fun turntable and I know it does not come with much to set up the cartridge properly, so I would like to hit the ground running when it gets here. The table has a two point radial tone arm with an effective length of 239 mm (9.41"). Amazon has lots of inexpensive protractors I can buy, but just not sure which ones will be a nice match for this particular table and arm.

Three different setups can be used with different Null points:
    Bearwald 66/ 120.9 mm
    Stevenson 60.325/117.42 mm
    Loefgren 70.3/116.6 mm

So, for this little 9.41" straight arm, what do you pros out there advise me to buy from Amazon? Which one of the above setups would be BEST for this turntable and arm?

I did find out the tracking force for this little cartridge is 1.75 to 2.0

Can some folks fill in the blanks on which method is best for this turntable and which protractors on Amazon would fit the bill.

Thanks so much for any input, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that have already set this Marantz turntable up before. :help:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Dan Steele and Pythonman like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

The Clearaudio specs for the Satisfy arm are for the Lofgren A alignment with IEC radius values, though doesn't mean you can't use something else, should be plenty of adjustment range for overhang to set any of the popular alignments.

A lot of us just print out an arc protractor via the Conrad Hoffman generator, or maybe multiple ones with different parameters, the Clearaudio cartridge mount makes it pretty easy to experiment ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably a lot of info in the dedicated TT-15S1 thread too, but I'd guess you've already been through it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Honestly, I used the default setup and it sounded terrific. Never felt like it needed to be changed or that it could sound better.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

This. I prefer the CH printed protractors to just about everything else available. As long as your printer can print to proper scale (confirmed by measuring the axis-lines the protractor provides for reference - I use a digital caliper), it's all you need.

ampguy, warp2600 and Litejazz53 like this.
  5. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I used an Accutrak arc protractor for the Satisfy tonearm you can download for free and got perfect results, The tonearms tracks flawless up to 90 microns on Vinyl essential test record as specified for the Virtuoso cartridge

Litejazz53 likes this.
  6. Litejazz53

Thanks so much, I did order a nice cork mat, it's 1/8th inch thick. I assume the table probably comes with some little cheep cheesy mat. I went ahead and paid $9.00 for a nice sturdy protractor. Might even spring for some "bling" LED lighting!

Helom and CBackley like this.
  7. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Pay attention in using a different mat, the Virtuoso cartridge is very sensible to the VTA; and, if I may say may opinion, aesthetically speaking a cork mat on the Marantz tt15 is like wearing baggy jeans and sneakers at La Scala premiere :laugh:

bever70 likes this.
  8. Litejazz53

I absolutely did think about the aesthetics of a cork mat and I am certainly open to suggestions. What would be your suggestion, what do you think is the very best mat to use, not only for appearance but function? I think you meant to say "very sensitive to VTA changes."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  9. Jujigatame

Jujigatame Forum Resident

I just got one myself a few weeks ago.

I bought all the tools and the fact was that the stock setup (cartridge all the way forward and VTA with the weight and mat as spacers) was dead nuts perfect.

I use a Herbies Audio Way Excellent 2 mat in 4mm (which is what Herbies recommended for the TT15) and I'm VERY happy.

I have the tracking force set to 2.2 which is what they recommend in the manual.

It is really, really good, but the Virtuoso cartridge, like most any of them, really needs to break in. I've got maybe 60-70 hours on it now and it's totally different from when I first turned it on. It literally gets better every day.

Also, make sure to set your pre-amp to the correct phono load capacitance for the cartridge. It's 100pF.

10. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Yes, sensitive, I am sorry English is not my mother tongue...
    The best mat for the Marantz is NO mat, the turntable is so beautiful that any mat, even the one provided with it, would ruin the design of the object.
    And I don't think a mat would change anything in the sonic result

sound chaser likes this.
  11. Litejazz53

You are so right on the appearance, the turntable has a very elegant look, and I have always loved the visuals of an acrylic platter. I have read that musically, the mat is recommended over no mat at all. I can send the cork mat back, but I want to play with it a bit and make some VTA adjustments and see what happens. One member contacted Clearaudio and was given some set up advice on the TT-15S, more particularly the Satisfy arm. He was told to set the arm "tail down" just ever so slightly, instead of ruler flat. Additionally, he was told to set the tracking force just slightly over the 2.0 g, just a tad, to achieve optimum tracking. One of the complaints about the provided cartridge on the TT-15S is the lean bass, and according to the manufacturer this is completely solved by adjusting the Satisfy arm to the slight "tail down" position. The member said that one tone arm angle change was transformative. What has been your experience?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I agree, I have never used a mat with mine, acrylic is inert enough surely?

13. Litejazz53

In an effort to learn as much as I possibly can before setting up the Marantz table, I have read several articles and reviews. From what I can tell, I made a very good decision on purchasing this table. I found this review very interesting and informative. I noticed one of the objections to this particular table is the amount of setup required, however, us vinyl people, generally speaking, like a setup challenge and the work involved to get things perfect, so I do not see the challenge of setting up the table a negative, but otherwise this is a very good review, I know I felt much better about the purchase after I read this. :righton:

Marantz TT-15S1 review | Devoted to Vinyl

14. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

In my experience, with VTF at 2.3 g, you achieve a tonal balance and a perfect tracking that I rarely experienced with other cartridges than the Virtuoso.
    I used an Ortofon Bronze on the Marantz for a while, But it never satisfied me in terms of tonality and trackability.
    I even tried with and without the provided mat, And haven't noticed any difference, that's the reason why I suggest you that a mat it is useless on this turntable.
    And pay attention to setting the antiskating, I found that three visible spires from the beginning of the screw is the correct position

15. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The all the way forward position is uncorrect, there is an error in the manual! If you use a test record you will see that the cartridge can't track up to 90 microns as stated, and cause an audible IGD.
    Download an arc protractor for the Satisfy tonearm to set the correct overhang

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

recommendation is to experiment with different mats. as shown in the post on this page different tonearms have different resonances in the audible range. a good objective for a mat is to dampen these resonances. for me i play music with lots of bass and vocals at an elevated volume. a good mat will help the bass be more punchy, have better definition and allow vocals to sound uncolored. for your table a dense closed cell foam is what i would start with.
    Are subsonic filters important?

17. Litejazz53

The 2.3 g would correspond to what the factory gave another member for that cartridge, thanks for that input, I'm going to have this thing set up to perfection when it comes in, can't wait, might find I don't need that VPI Prime Signature after all.:doh:

Danilo likes this.
  18. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

Before moving the cartridge in the slot, connect it in the position you find the headshell, this is probably the correct overhang position; once screwed it to the headshell control the overhang with an arc protractor for the Satisfy tonearm

19. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I listened to several tracks played by a VPI on you tube, and I didn't find that it tracks any better than the Marantz, so I think you will be very happy with this TT.
    What I would like to try in the future is a Grado cartridge with the Marantz, because I love the Grado sound even if I reckon it is a bit "coloured"

20. Litejazz53

Here is the real fun question, what would a purple heart sound like on this table, oh my??:yikes:

21. Jujigatame

I did that, and got a mirrored protractor, and a setup disc.

It was all dead on, and everything I play on it sounds fantastic now that the cartridge has opened up.

What test record would you recommend? Also, what is an IGD?

Litejazz53 likes this.
  22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Probably wonderful, assuming the arm has enough mass for that cartridge (it is designed for high mass arms). But spending more than 3 times the cost of the TT on a cartridge doesn't make much sense...

23. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

IGD means inner groove distortion.
    I use vinyl essential test records, but I think there are several pretty good, probably the most popular is Hi-Fi new test record

24. Litejazz53

I know, that was just something to print to get a reaction! Save the Purple Heart for the Prime Signature! I did get the J3 Jr. ordered for use with the TT-15S:whistle:

TarnishedEars likes this.
  25. Jujigatame

Do you have a link to a protractor specifically for the Satisfy? I can't seem to find one.

Like I said, I used a mirrored (Baerwald) protractor and a Geo Disc, and they look dead on perfect.

I'm willing to try anything to perfect the sound, even though it's pretty awesome already.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.