Setting up a used stereo for my television

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Been awhile since I posted and appreciate any help. We recently moved and my main system is no longer located near our television. I have a pair of Usher book case speakers and thinking I would just find an old receiver at a thrift store or ebay or something that's dirt cheap since it will only be used when watching TV. Problem is that my tv is pretty new and doesn't have RCA audio outputs so need to use HDMI or toslink into the receiver, which of course an old receiver like what I'm thinking, won't have inputs for that... so basically I need a digital to analog converter that can take the digital audio signal from the tv and then output it through analog rca cables into the receiver. I have a great DAC for music and this should just be something that does the conversion. I see some on Amazon for as little as $20 and wondering if that will do the trick. Thanks in advance!

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I was in a similar situation to yours when I bought my TV 9 years ago except that I already had a receiver but couldn't connect the TV to it because of the lack of RCA plugs.
    I was unaware of any converter at the time so I ended buying a cheap new Sony A/V receiver, $200 Canadian. It's still working great with the TV.
    You may want to see if you can find a receiver that has HDMI inputs.

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Had the same issue and bought a used Arcam r-dac off eBay. Worked a treat.

4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

On the bay they have all sorts of adapters from toslink to rca stereo or HDMI to rca stereo.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Get a cheap DAC from Schiit or Monoprice, run the TV to it with a toslink cable and then RCAs from the DAC to your receiver.

oregonalex and IRG like this.
  6. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

Bought me a HDMI to rca adaptor USB powered for under 20e off eBay. Does the job, but I don't trust it.

rodentdog likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Does your TV have a headphones jack ? El-cheapo DACs sound horrible, even for TV sound. Been there. The cheapest Schiit (U$ 99) will make the sound justice. Getting a clean-used AVR is a nice idea as well and will give you remote control. Another solution, albeit more expensive, would be active bookshelves with a built-in DAC, but your existing speakers would go to waste, which is a pity.

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I had a similar situation and picked up a $20 RadioShack DAC and used optical out from my HDTV and then RCA out from the DAC to my preamp. Worked like a charm for several years.

9. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

And no stereo “PHONES” output? If it has, there is no problem.

10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Cheap AVRs, ones obsoleted by not having HDMI or digital decoders for blu-ray audio formats, but which still have optical inputs, are plentiful and useful for this exact application, or for media streamers with optical out.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Fewer and fewer TVs come with this feature these days. It's as rare as frontal displays on DVDPs; the manufacturers just shave costs wherever they can. I should know; I picked both my panels because they had an HP jack to which I plug my Behringer cans. Lotsa late-night watching.

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

How are you defining “dirt cheap” for this purpose? There are some pretty inexpensive AVRs available new that offer currently-compatible connectivity, and I would assume you could find those models or their recent predecessors even cheaper used.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

So get an old receiver that does have HDMI. You're complicating a very simple purchase decision. :)

14. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

15. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

If its just being used as a TV, and not integrated into your principle AV / Home Theatre system, I would just recommend a solid mid-line 2.1 soundbar. I personally don't like the ones with wireless subwoofers, because they *sometimes lose audio sync or bluetooth connection, and when I just want to watch TV, I don't want to troubleshoot and fiddle with my TV speakers, and have another remote just for the speakers. Since I already have a 7.1 THX etc home theatre setup, I don't feel like buying another expensive soundbar, but I aint gonna get the cheapie neither... Having both allows me to turn off the HiFi when I just want to watch the news or cartoons etc...

A decent inexpensive all-in-one soundbar with Toslink, HDMI, and RCA inputs would be the Yamaha 2.1 soundbar (~$150 ish). And if later you do build a home theatre, nothing wrong with having an extra decent little soundbar...
    [​IMG]

Big Blue and The Pinhead like this.
  16. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

18. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Thread Status: