Setting up Rega turntable arm - help!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dogman11, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogman11

Dogman11 Member Thread Starter

Hello all. Long time lurker on the forum and have my first post. I am setting up Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 cartridge. It uses the RB2000 tonearm and the cartridge is factory supplied. I moved the balance weight until the tonearm weight to the correct balance where the tonearm floats above the record slightly. I have a stylus force gauge and it reads 1.95 g consistently. The tracking force dial is right around 1.75. The thing that I am not very confident on is the anti-skate. I have it set where I can move the tonearm up and down and it will hit the same spot each time (by using the target dot on the my stylus force gauge for instance) but when the needle makes contact there is slight movement outward of the cartridge. Each time there is contact there is a slight move out but the needle does not move. Is this ok? The anti-skate slider seems to be in a slightly different location from what is recommended but if I use the recommended one it does not go to the same spot each time.

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Pull the anti-skate plunger all the way out when setting tracking force and only set anti-skate when VTF is set.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Whether the tonearm hits the same spot each time it's lowered is just a measure of how much friction there is on the arm rest. Make sure it's clean and no oils on it.

Most people check the anti-skate by lowering the tonearm while a record is spinning and watching what happens to the cantilever under real conditions with skating force generated by the stylus friction in the groove and the overhang. It should stay well centered in the groove and not noticeably deflect to the inside or the outside.

4. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Congratulations on the RP10 Dogman - it's a very good table.

On all the Regas I have owned, music sounds best by setting anti-skate slightly lower than their 'recommendation' (ie a bit lower than the VTF figure). Seeing it settle into the groove without deflection either way is a good visual indicator to aim for, then listen to make sure both channels sound equally lively.

Any bias setting is going to be a bit of a compromise anyway because forces between stylus and groove walls vary across each LP side.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think what you are doing is fine. But I've never found that my final setting is ever the same as the VTF. I think it's a good starting place to match them if you don't have another method. I've found that with one cartridge I had, no anti-skate works best. With the others, it was some thing always below the VTF setting. I usually use a test record to hear tones left and right and adjust until things even out.

6. Dogman11

Dogman11 Member Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info everyone! Working on the above recs and feel better about it

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can’t get the anti skating on my Rega P9 at all. The manual is as clear as mud and what I think is the anti skating plunger to move at all.

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Where the logo badge is, under the tonearm, pull that out toward the front of the turntable. When you see a ring on the exposed part, that’s the antiskating setting for 2 grams of tracking force. When you see the 2nd ring exposed, that’s the setting for 1 gram of tracking force.

C62MAP likes this.
  9. Dennis Metz

I can’t move it. Should it move easily?

10. Bob_in_OKC

Try turning it.

11. Dennis Metz

12. Bob_in_OKC

It moves easily and smoothly on mine. Snug but not tight. It’s in this position. [​IMG]

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Thanks for your help, but mine is stuck. I loosened the arm support and moved it back, but the front piece will not budge. I’m assuming that there are adjustment marks on an inner tube. I’m at a loss

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Here’s one more picture. I rotated it 90°, see the logo, and pulled it out so the marks show.

[​IMG]

15. Bob_in_OKC

I suppose yours is already in the zero position. Maybe you could push it in.

16. Dennis Metz

I finally got it with pliers :cheers:

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

A stupid question, but does the RB1000 area have a internal belt for the anti skating?

18. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

As a rule of thumb, AS is roughly 12% of VTF on a 9" arm. Zero the CW to float the arm, turn the scale on its side and let the AS bump the finger lift into the scale and adjust for the target value, then reset the CW to the desired VTF. It might still skate in a little, especially at the beginning of the record, but skating force is not constant across the record and is highest at the very beginning. This rule of thumb sets the average to even out stylus wear.

If you're feeling adventurous...

19. Bob_in_OKC

Rega’s antiskating is magnetic.

20. Dennis Metz

21. Bob_in_OKC

Rega didn’t design or build that tonearm, so no - Their tonearms are not this.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  22. Joakim

Joakim Member

Where is the tracking force markings on this arm? Mine is totally blank

23. Joakim

Joakim Member

It should be at 2 g but cannot find the indicators...

24. Bob_in_OKC

The 2.0g mark is a ring about 3mm from the end. It might be hard to see. Mine is deep and sharp, but I’ve seen some that aren’t.

25. Joakim

Joakim Member

right? Tried to attached a photo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.