Settle a bet Joe Strummer/Bruce Springsteen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Triss, Dec 3, 2019.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I believe Mick was also a big fan of Mott, so maybe it all evens out.

Elvis Costello was in a band of Dead/Little Feat wannabes. But when Strummer, Jones, and Costello got their record contracts, that's not the kind of music they made.

I was using the Stooges figuratively, but if you must be literal...

Were you around in the '70s? B/c the Stooges legend had already started when Bowie was dragging Iggy to the Dinah Shore Show.

2. Yes, and I was a Stooges fan, and other than Sabbath they and their shows were the true underground. Dinah Shore was '77 and it was the curio of a cleaned up Ig being unveiled for an attempt at mainstream success being that punk had happened.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Yeah, I can see that. I wouldn't mistake one's music for the other, but what Joe says about Bruce applies to him too.

Triss likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

First Springsteen albums 1973. First Clash album 1977. Who begat whom? Springsteen was on the cover of almost every magazine cover with the release of Born to Run in 1975. Why isn't Joe Strummer the British Bruce Springsteen?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

They both kind of took on the post dylan rock star's burden (one dylan almost immediately abandoned) of writing public, outward looking songs that spoke to issues of public responsibility. And they wrote with a sense that the rock star is in a unique position to try to summon hope. But Strummer was more of a preacher, Springsteen's a storyteller. Other than the fact that they both play or playes rock and roll with great love for the old school.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Peace brother...

7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Wow, lotta tension in this thread, what the hell....

8. Triss

Triss Dark Horse Thread Starter

Yeah...it was meant to be fun!!! I think to bring up a musicians politics is not being political and talking more about an artists output

Cool hand luke likes this.
  9. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Wondering how you win a bet based on opinions.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

11. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Darkness came out in 1978. The reason Bruce escaped the attacks was because they probably did not know who he was. I do not believe that Bruce’s “Rock ‘n Roll as a path to salvation” schtick would have played well with the Punks of 1976.

12. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I love The Clash and Springsteen and it's clear there was a mutual admiration between Strummer and the Boss. Their biggest similarity is probably politics and a workingman's sensibility. They probably share some influences namely from the great 50's rockers. They both liked Telecasters and took their music seriously. I miss the hell out of Joe and wish he were still around. I'm happy Springsteen is still around and making new and different sounding music at age 70.

13. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Joe certainly knew who he was, and went to see him at the Hammersmith Odeon in 75.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

No, and more appropriately, Joe is not the English Bruce...by a long shot.

15. Triss

Triss Dark Horse Thread Starter

I was never arguing that!

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Though London Calling, my favorite Clash album, would be higher up on my overall favorites ladder than Nebraska, my favorite Bruce still Springsteen overall was more impactful and remains so to this day.

majorlance likes this.
  17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

No, Bruce is NOT the American Joe Strummer. While both were fans of each other, and the River making Joe want to outdo Bruce with a triple LP set,
    Joe never sold out. Bruce did that in 1984 no matter what anybody says; he allowed his image to be greatly changed, his sound, his view on videos which he hated before, everything;
    all to cash in on an election year, including his flag on the cover and onstage, and also "allowing" his song to be misinterpreted - no, it was played in a style to BE misunderstood - bring on the money,
    that was all he (and Landau, his slimy manager) cared about in that year of jingoism in the U.S.
    I'm a big fan of Springsteen pre-Born In The U.S.A. (Hungry Heart was the first Springsteen song I hated, he was totally great to me in the '70s, and then Landau stepped in),
    but this was a sell-out; and he's been pretty phony since then a lot of the time. (This doesn't mean there hasn't been any good or great music from him since)
    Ironically as I type this, the man who I have more CDs than anybody of (I didn't get upset at what Springsteen did after that until the Springsteen On Broadway ticket prices),
    is paying tribute to Strummer today, or did. I haven't followed it. And good for him, I guess - he's a genuine fan of Joe. (He's also a fan of Woody Guthrie, and he's no Woody Guthrie either)
    But he sold out,
    and Joe Strummer, who went out of his way to make sure that London Calling and Sandinista! were priced lower than the company wanted, never sold out,
    and I don't believe he ever would have.

(A good tribute to Joe is the song Strummerville by Stiff Little Fingers, written by Jake Burns - someone who's kept his integrity like Joe did - unfortunately without commercial success - but he never sold out)

Joe Strummer kept his integrity.

Rich C, Taxman and danielbravo like this.
  18. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Bit harsh - everyone hated videos until they didn't..

Adam9 and majorlance like this.
  19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

From the horse's mouth "Joe Strummer, my great great departed friend and brother that I never had, you have been my inspiration for the past forty years. Happy birthday, brother. God bless you."

20. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of both. They are both musical treasures from their respective countries. Bruce may be the best solo Rock and Roller the U.S. ever produced (especially if you exclude the founders like Buddy, Elvis and Chuck) and Joe Strummer played in the "Only Band That Matters" which was sometimes true - hard to find a band that equaled their passion and authenticity.

Adam9, majorlance and danielbravo like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I saw Joe Strummer on probably his last tour with the Mesceleros. An absolute blinder. He still had incredible energy. His death was such a shock. For some inexplicable reason I don't have the Mesceleros albums. I'll have to get that sorted!

Lemon Curry likes this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Get thee Global A Go Go. You won't regret it :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Being associated with punk will have kept a lot of media and radio away and possibly prevented some people taking him seriously and recognising his talent. Joe Strummer didn't have a commercial voice either. Bruce can belt it out in the arenas. A great voice but a more mainstream rock one.

majorlance likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was unemployed when they came out and CDs weren't cheap then. I remember wanting them but it'll have slipped my mind after a while. I don't know if they're still in print.

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Darkness on the edge of town is an incredible album, my favourite

mark winstanley and Man at C&A like this.