seven samurai DVD shock!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Yesterday I was given a Criterion Seven Samurai DVD. Given the fact the I never watched the film before and never had a Criterion DVD either (remember I was wondering about what's so special about Criterion DVDs recently?) I had HUGE expectations. However I was simply shocked! The DVD is simply unwatchable. I tried to watch for the first 10 minutes or something (up to the moment when the samurai shaves his head) and had to stop the playback. 20 minutes on my eyes still hurt. The picture is glimmering all the time (I hope I use the right word in English) and this problem is so bad that's simply painful to watch. How can anyone sit thru the entire movie (and i have no doubts that it's a great one) is above my understanding. First I thought their something wrong with my plasma or DVD player but then I played a couple of old b/w films and ther were OK. Maybe my DVD is damaged or something? :(

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Hmm. I've got the original Criterion release of this (with the resto doc.) and have watched it a few times. I've never been bothered by the picture.

John K.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Could be you have the wrong regionally coded DVD....don't remember what Russia's number would be, but sounds to me as if the disc isn't compatible with your system. That, or it's a bad clone of a Criterion DVD, because mine looks pretty good!

:ed:

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

That disc has been out for years. I suspect it's either system-related or you've got a bad copy (or dupe).

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...maybe one of the Russian Bootlegs? I'm surprised at what your describing. My copy looks fine.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ED, The Criterion's usually have region "0" on their foreign film DVD's.:D

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Michael, I think the "ordered by pain of death by Toho" reissues of 'Seven Samurai' are region "1". The first pressing is region "0".

Todd

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

My player is multiregional (not a single problem with any DVD so far) and this one is original Criterion DVD, not a pirate one...

10. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I've owned both Criterions and they both looked great to me. I've owned videos, taped it off of TV and seen it on the big screen and the Criterion is as good as I've ever seen it. It's not perfect, but it shouldn't be (50 years old).

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

If the rumors are correct then Criterion will be revisiting this title at some point in the future. There's a better print in circulation now they could work from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.