“Severance” on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Klavier, Feb 19, 2022.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Terrific series. I want Season 2 NOW!

Macman, Lonson and GentleSenator like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

ME TOO!

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Just finished watching this. Really good. A bit of a WTH at first, but I had several friends whom I trust to recommend good stuff, not fluff, really talk it up, so I stuck with it, and I am glad I did.

I didn't really see it as a cliffhanger. The plug was pulled and all will revert to their outies on the outside, meaning:

-Helly will be puzzled as to why she is on the ground (after being tackled), but will get up and talk up Lumon as planned
    -Burt will answer the door, and Irving will be standing there having no idea who Burt is or why he is there
    -Everyone at the house will assume Mark's "she's alive!" was about the baby.

The intriguing part is once they are back on the severed floor, their innies will remember everything they experienced when they their innie self on the outside, right?

Also, Cobel cannot go back to being Mark's friendly neighbor and Devon's babysitter/whatever, since Devon knows she is Mark's boss on the severed floor and she will tell Mark, so the change in that dynamic should be very interesting.

I can't wait to see where this goes next. The four who work on the severed floor are going to be even more mentally destroyed now that they know more about their outer selves.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

"Not being able to wait to see where this goes next". . . is the result of cliff hanging. ;) I see the ending as a cliff hanger of an intellectual sort.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm just hoping we get a Defiant Jazz Playlist sequel :thumbsup:

Lonson likes this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That's fair. :cool:

Is that your inner talking or your outtie? :p

7. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

NOT SURE HOW TO DO A SPOILER ALERT !!!!!!!

What was with the dancing women in the final episode ? Don't know how that fit in?

Also I don't understand how Irving had the map with Burt's address on it on the outside?

8. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

The fourth tool from the right (the paragraph with the dropdown carat). Select the text you want to hide, click that icon, and select Spoiler, and then type the text you wish to replace the soon to be hidden content.

Jaap74 and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Irv found the list of severed outies at his house (a mystery as to why he had this, maybe answered in season 2) and found Burt's name on the list

10. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

1. How will the outies react when they realize they've been hacked outside of the office? Dylan's outie didn't seem too bothered by it but I certainly think Helly would be freaked out.
    2. Does Lumon have tech to wipe/reset the innies? Guessing they do.
    3. Prediction #1: Irv's outie is a bad dude, like Milchik-level
    4. Prediction #2: Irv and Burt outies hate each other's guts
    5. Is Gemma in a coma when she is not an innie?
    6. Does Milchik have a favorite method for cleaning the playlist vinyl?
    7. Will Ricken's book become a best seller?

Kray likes this.
  11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I assume you mean the dancers from Dylan's reward? I'm not sure there was much significance other than showing the kind of evil experimentation Lumon is up to in terms of having innies degrade themselves like that and the effects of erotic stimuli on the innies.

Jaap74 likes this.
  12. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Defiant jazz and reckless disco are currently my two favorite descriptions.

One episode left. This series has lived up the praise I've heard. Loving it. So many questions and theories. Hoping at least the most obvious questions get answered. Plan is to wrap it up Friday.

13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Fantastic finish.

Have to see if YRHELL is available as a plate.

AC1 likes this.
  14. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

The outie seems to be the one in control of how the innie is treated. This appears to be the only way that the severance procedure could be legal and/or acceptable in the work force. We've seen how headstrong and defiant Helly is on the inside; of course that character exists in the outside world, it just might be applied to a different set of values. The innies aren't "created" by severance; the whole show is going to be contingent on a person's personality being consistent regardless of which memories are suppressed.

captouch likes this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Season 3 is in pre-production in New York, filming commences this winter through July 2023.

Leviethan likes this.
  16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Did they skip season 2? :D

Nothing would surprise me with this show.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A typo (…or was it!) :eek:

Leviethan and Cool hand luke like this.
  18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Season 2 already completed I believe. I'm sure I read somewhere that its supposed to premiere first quarter of 2023.

Cool hand luke and George P like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. Just started watching this show. It’s intriguing so far.

21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It's the best show of the season to me but I still expected more from the hype. Maybe I watch too many of these type of shows that this concept alone didn't seem new, but was a very good amalgamation of others. Still amazing though and superbly acted.

As I found season 1 broadly predictable, I may be the severed author, so will hide my season 2 predictions as spoilers.

Season 2 plot will be the search for the area on the map with question marks. This will be found in the season. The reveal is Mark's wife is a clone whose DNA was taken from her car accident. She is in fact dead.
    Bonus reveal: Irv painted all the art.
    Mind blowing late season reveal: The purpose of the number thing is to use intuition and choices, creating the brain for the clones. Helly is an innie for the specific purpose of cloning herself for family reanimation.

Outie plot is the true resistance will be featured. The leader is revealed as Mark's date. The sister will put together that Mark's wife is alive and will be a leader in the cause.
    Wife of Senator will be inside person with the resistance.

Whoopycat likes this.
  22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Finally got ‘round to watching this. Very enjoyable and some great acting.

The relationship between the John Tutturo and Christopher Walken characters was beautifully acted. One of the sweetest romances I’ve seen in a while.

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That would be surprise - editing and post production can take a looong time, especially if you want to get it right.

My guess is a year after shooting wraps, or wrapped, is more realistic.

24. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I’m a little bit late to the (waffle) party, as I just watched this over the past week. That was a lot of fun though! Really excellent for many reasons.

There are lots of lingering questions, but not in a bad way. I do wonder about some of the severed people and what their reasoning was for making that choice. Mark (mourning a loss), Irving (overall lonely guy) and Helly (to show support for the family, possibly coerced) are reasonably explained. But I don’t think you make that choice without a strong reason, and Bert looked pretty happy in his outtie life. And Dylan at least has kids. Maybe this will be talked about in season 2.

I loved the aesthetic of the whole thing. There are big influences from things like THX 1138, 1984, other ‘70s sci-fi and every corporate training video you’ve ever had to sit through.

I caught on almost immediately that the Lumon builiding exteriors and many of the interiors were filmed at the old Bell Labs building in Holdmel, NJ. That’s a really great building designed by Eero Saarinen, who is known for the St Louis arch, the TWA terminal at JFK and many others. It had fallen into disarray a while back and was finally saved and reopened to the public. I walked through about 5 years ago and was amazed at what a cool building it was. It still has that retro/futuristic feel with big business overtones to it. Even the water tower is shaped like a transistor.

The mixture of old and even older tech was a bit of a weird one, though maybe that was on purpose. For the most part, gadgets had a ‘70s/‘80s feel, but things like the cell phones they used looked to be from the mid-2000s. Maybe that was part of the point. Everything looked old, but to varying degrees and you couldn't really place where you were.

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Now I just need to find something as good while we wait for season 2.

George P and Cool hand luke like this.