Sex Pistols in Court

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I wonder if this feeling dates back to the whole Who Killed Bambi/The Great Rock n Roll Swindle fiasco? The films were cited as examples in court when the Pistols were suing Malcom McLaren to regain control of their image in 1984.

He also hated Sid and Nancy, not only for his portrayal, but because the film glamorized his friend Sid's drug addiction and death. That must have been painful to sit through.

Runicen, Zerox and JayDeeEss like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

How many great songs did Glen Matlock write after leaving the Sex Pistols?

Fullbug likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think it was made up because people were under the misapprehension that the band could not play, when that was really only true of Sid. Regardless, there is zero evidence that any other guitarist was used.

4. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

I just want to say that John Lydon is one of the greatest artists ever in the cess pit known as rock. NMTB and PIL Metal Box are arguably 2 of the best rock records ever made. Its sad that John seems to be having some kind of mental health issues recently, i am no doctor but in interviews of recent years the razor sharp wit of his youth seems have been replaced by confusion and irrational outbursts. Steve and John deserve all respect, real people.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lydon’s London tour bus trip was hilarious.
    Such a talent.

6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

This shows it's not just what, but how you play. That intro to Bodies has a perfectly creepy, ugly feel, in line with the song's subject matter. Jones is way too modest.
    Check out his appearances at Norman's Rare Guitars. Hilarious.

7. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Lost In The Flood and bob60 like this.
  8. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Steve Jones rules. His book was great. Read it a few times. Lydon as always is the thorn in everyone's side, has always stood by his outspoken principles fair play to him but he's a complete pain in the ****. I hope it gets made 'cause I would gobble it up.

bob60 and alexpop like this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

My old Punk mates hate Punk nostalgia.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I call bull**** on that Guardian article, that a just a journalist saying something with no proof.
    John and his wife live in a house that is extremely modest and I am not aware of them ever living in something remotely luxurious or fancy. I remember about 20 years ago a journalist from one of the U.K. music mags went over to interview him and was surprised at the neighbourhood he lived in and his very ordinary house.
    Most of what is written about John and property stems from a single press conference in the 80’s whilst in the U.K. to promote Rise and the album.
    If John was wealthy why would he be flogging butter on a crappy tv commercial, or appearing on a reality TV jungle show.

11. alexpop

So charismatic. Buddy Holly .. highway star, cat scratch fever :)

Gumboo and jwoverho like this.
  12. alexpop

Pistol “
    See them filming it in Denmark street in May.

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I totally agree. A TV series about The Sex Pistols? Talk about a lame idea. No way.
    Read Lydon's books instead. They're fascinating and he a good story teller.

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Do you know anything about the director of this series?

15. alexpop

Yes! See my avatar.
    Trainspotting :)

alex1976delarge and Saint Johnny like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I wonder how much the lawyer/court fees will be for all of this?

17. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I wish he actually did do a full length video on how to play all of NMTB.

18. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

I've said this before, but watching Sid And Nancy was an odd experience - a biopic where the cast were all older, uglier and less charismatic than the real people they were supposed to be playing. I've no doubt this will be more of the same.

Runicen, Tom Wabe and Zerox like this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Too bad, they don't have to watch it.
    This is a story that deserves a new audience.
    It's not just about the Pistol's but also the fascinating bunch of characters that were around at the beginning of punk and the formation of the band. Sue Catwoman, Jordan, Vivienne Westwood, Malcolm McLaren and many others.
    These are dire times for pop music and youth culture, but this wasn't always the case.
    The Sex Pistols arrival was like a bomb going off in the bland music scene of the time.
    Young people today would do well to watch this, a time before reality TV hell, social media and cancel culture.
    Of course the irony is that everyone is so offended by everything these days they will probably stamp their petulant feet and try to cancel this as well.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Try doing just 5 minutes of research before even posting next time, then you will see how wrong you are

21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I had also heard this rumour, but looking on companies house he seems to have several music/film /production projects, there is no mention of properties, and given his persona, seems very unlikely anyway.

bob60 likes this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Aye, they don't have to watch it, but might anyway.
    But my comment was really meant as a possible addition to the reasons given as to why Lydon might not want to be on board with it.
    Any canonisation and lionisation of Punk is viewed as anti-punk by some Punks.

PDK and bob60 like this.
  23. alexpop

Did any of the forum members see the Sex Pistols live pre 1979?

24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Here's one:

25. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Nice little diversion through the Malibu real estate listings, anyway.

Saint Johnny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.