Sex Pistols in Court

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Judge Jerry (Springer) recently got renewed for '21-'22 season. This could be a week-long trial.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great band live!!!!!

SebUK and twicks like this.
  3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

“Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?”

PDK, rednedtugent and Bluesman Mark like this.
  4. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Except the PIL reunion and this commercial were over a decade apart from each other so…Rotten always has excuses for his own selling out, but had been critical of everyone else. He’s a hypocrite and a fake. Always has been. People can live that record, but it doesn’t change the fact that they are the punk rock/hard rock Monkees

Gumboo and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I have a lot of respect for John essentially raising Ari Up's twin boys as his own after she was clearly an unfit mother. He later became the guardian of her third child after she passed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

"an annoying little brat" and a "total dick"

Don't you have to take a number for that designation in the Pistols?

:D

7. alexpop

Pistol- Spoke to the scriptwriter, he was asking me about The Rich Kids ... were they any good. Etc

TeddyB likes this.
  8. NPS

NPS Forum Resident

I did, Winterland in San Francisco, January 1978. There's a concert CD and a video on YouTube

The closer you got to the stage, the wilder the audience became.

9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Disney. Cheezus kryst. Everything they touch turns to crap.

Runicen, PDK and rednedtugent like this.
  10. alexpop

Maybe the Sex Pistols shouldn’t have closed with No Fun.

11. alexpop

A few fans enjoying themselves.. but apathetic crowd. Mind you I seen them May, 1977.. and it was a bit more enthusiastic.. folks were seating though. :)

punkmusick and olsen like this.
  12. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

13. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

I thought he did the commercial because he thinks Country Life butter tastes the best. Why would he lie?

Gumboo, xfilian and Jonny W like this.
  14. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

They weren't. The butter adverts were Autumn 2008 and the PiL reformation was announced summer 2009, but never let facts get in the way of anything.

Also, it's pretty well documented that Virgin prevented Lydon from recording due to some contract vagaries and withheld royalties and funding from him to try and control him, and prevent him from working. I doubt Lydon is particularly easy to get on with as he is fairly headstrong and assertive (and with good reason).

Right from the start of the career he's had tangles with managers and labels that have underestimated him, tried to rip him off, withhold money, and prevent him from working because they think he's some idiot working class oik without a braincell in his head. He's always said that a record label is there to sell records, not to dictate terms, and they often hated having to deal with someone who not only had a mind, but knew their own mind. People are often products of their environment, and Lydon is probably so opinionated (and defensive) because he got ripped off by McLaren and his parasitical mythmaking. McLaren was the worst thing to ever happen to the Pistols, and his clueless incompetence killed the band. Record labels often think they're smarter than the artists and think they can rip them off, and that's why Lydon - and The The, and The Sisters Of Mercy - stopped making records for a long time. As one singer I know said, "I don't mind being exploited, I signed the contract, but at least exploit me competently."

Also, and I don't see how this can even be an issue, why do we think artists making money is "selling out"? What imaginary principles of poverty do you think Lydon is claiming? The artistic nobility of penury? Don't be daft. Lydon never had a problem being adequately paid for his work. McLaren always had a problem paying the Pistols the money they earnt, making out they were talentless urchins he moulded into stars. Everyone does stuff for money, that's why we have jobs. Do I sell out when I go to work? Sure, but I'm selling my talents for money, not selling out my principles. By saying Lydon is "selling out" you're inventing moral positions around money that you have no evidence to support. That's fake. Heck, the Pistols 1996 tour was called "Filthy Lucre". Could they be more open than that?

It may very well be that Lydon could be a brat, or whatever, and I'm not taking an opinion about if he is or isn't. It's just completely understandable that Lydon wouldn't want his music to appear in a work that insults him in such a manner. Would anyone? If someone was making a TV show called Morrissey Is A Brat, would anyone be surprised if Moz turned down the application to licence his songs to it?

15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Does not influence my statement.

16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Well then it should because Danny Boyle is a brilliant director. I think it's far better to have a 6 part series than to have the story condensed into a 2 hour Hollywood film.

17. Brian Lux

Well, Bob, lol, it doesn't. No slam on Danny Boyle or any other hero of yours (we all have them, none are perfect), I still just think TV series about The Sex Pistols is a lame idea. I don't care who came up with it or who is involved. It's just my opinion, no big deal.

Reverb likes this.
  18. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I saw them in Memphis. I rank it up there with seeing the Beatles in '66 and the Stones in '72. The ballroom they were in was way oversold and the fire marshal blocked ticket holders from coming in. So they just waited outside and when the looky-loos decided they had had enough and left, actual fans were allowed it to come in and take their place.

19. alexpop

Renaissance man.. lived thru the decades!!!:cool:

bob60 likes this.
  20. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Yeah, I was there as well. The crush near the stage was insane. I was picked up off my feet and deposited about 15 feet to the left of where I had been standing. I decided at that point that I would be more comfortable farther back. Someone could easily have been trampled.

punkmusick, Dave Decadent and bob60 like this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Danny Boyle is not a hero of mine, but I know for sure he wouldn't have signed up for something unless it was realistic and hard hitting. He has stellar reputation in the film industry and he wouldn't accept a job just for the money. So if the story is to be told them I'm glad that he is in charge.

dunkoid and alexpop like this.
  22. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Memphis was comparatively peaceful. My most vivid memory was of people throwing things at the stage, 'cause, you know, that's what they'd read you were supposed to do. After one song, Rotten stared out at the audience and said in a very measured voice, "Stop.throwing.things.at.me. I.don't.like.it."

(He had a stare that reminded me of the 1964 movie, "Village of the Damned".)

23. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Yeah, I think in general this sort of thing is destined for lameness. I am holding out hope for the series about the Stones that's in the works, but only because Nick Hornby is writing it, so at least the actual story might turn out OK. I can't imagine anyone successfully portraying any of the band members, though.

Brian Lux likes this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I had been silently hoping this had fallen by the wayside.

25. Brian Lux

Yeah, in general even biopics about rock stars are poorly conceived and carried out. And usually the bigger the name, the worse the film. So a TV series about any big name band seems even more destined to be mediocre at best.
    The Monkees show worked well because it was about a group of marginally talented musicians acting goofy and it worked. They were fun and goofy. Maybe that's what the Sex Pistols series should be. Get the Lydon, Jones, Cook, and Matlock together once a week and have them just act and interact the way they do and see what happens. It would probably be ridiculous and funny at the same time.

PDK and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.