Sex Pistols in Court

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Sex Pistols: John Lydon likens music licensing agreement to 'slave labour'

Former Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has railed against an agreement his ex-bandmates claim allows the band's music to be used in a Danny Boyle TV drama.

Mr Lydon said the band member agreement made in 1998 was "like a total trap or prison", likening it to "slave labour".

Former drummer Paul Cook and guitarist Steve Jones are suing Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten, to let their songs be used.

They argue the BMA means decisions regarding licensing requests can be determined on a "majority rules basis".

Pistol, which began filming in March, is a six-part series based on a 2016 memoir by Mr Jones called Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol.

Mr Lydon's lawyer has argued the drama, which is being made by Disney for its FX channel, portrays the singer in "a hostile and unflattering light".

Last week Mr Jones denied this was the case, telling the High Court the legal action was "not about slagging anyone off in this TV series".

The estate of Sid Vicious has approved Sex Pistols music being used in Pistol, as has bassist Glen Matlock, whom Vicious replaced in the band in 1977.

Giving evidence in London on Wednesday, Mr Lydon said: "I care very much about this band and its reputation and its quality control and I will always have a say if I think anything is being done to harm or damage [it].

"I don't want anything I'm involved in to victimise any one of us. It would destroy the whole point and purpose of the band and so I don't understand the BMA... I don't remember signing it."

Mr Lydon also told the court: "You can't let your history be rewritten for us by a complete stranger with no interest in it. This is my life here. This is my history. I didn't write these songs [for them] to be given off to nonsense."

He added the Sex Pistols had, until now, managed to agree how to conduct their business with "unanimity" since their split in 1978.

Mr Lydon said the BMA had not been applied since its creation in 1998 and that "all decisions" about the use of Sex Pistols music and imagery had been based on "unanimous" agreement.

"I don't understand how Steve and Paul think they have the right to insist that I do something that I so morally heart-and-soul disagree with without any involvement," he continued.

"My fear is that they're demanding that I agree to sign over the rights to a drama documentary that I am not allowed any access to.

"I don't think the BMA applies," the 65-year-old went on to tell Mr Jones and Mr Cook's QC. "I didn't ask for this court case, it was brought to me, so I will naturally defend myself.

"There is no point in me being here or ever was if it is the case that I can just be completely outvoted by the vested interests of all in one management camp."

Edmund Cullen QC, representing Mr Jones and Mr Cook, suggested to Mr Lydon that his reference to "slave labour" was a sign of "how deeply you regret having signed the BMA".

The barrister also said: "Given that you regard it as slave labour, you will do whatever it takes to try and get out of it."

Earlier this week, Mr Cook told the court that he and the other members of the band had "always wanted to work harmoniously", but felt they had to take Mr Lydon to court so the group's songs could be used in the TV show.

In his witness statement, Mr Cook said Mr Lydon "can be a difficult character and always likes to feel that he has control".

He added that he had never used the "majority rules agreement" before because "I thought that our relationship with John would get worse when we used it".

"Maybe Steve and I have been too nice to John over the years in trying to maintain good relations and that we should have been tougher," he said.

"I am unhappy that he would behave like this over an important personal project for Steve, particularly as we have always backed his personal projects."

In a Sunday Times interview in April, Lydon said the script for the TV series had been written and an actor selected to play him without his consent and that he had been put "in a corner like a rat".

He claimed Boyle had made no attempt to contact him about the project - a version of events disputed by the Oscar-winning director of Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting.

The Sex Pistols blazed a trail for UK punk in the 1970s with a short but explosive career that included such classic tracks as Anarchy in the UK, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant.

Actor Anson Boon will play Johnny Rotten in Boyle's six-part TV series, the cast of which includes Louis Partridge, Maisie Williams, Iris Law and Talulah Riley.

Lydon was previously portrayed on screen by Andrew Schofield in the 1986 film Sid and Nancy, which did not feature any of the Sex Pistols' songs.

The singer would go to call Alex Cox's film "nonsense" and "the lowest form of life" in his autobiography, accusing it of glamorising heroin addiction.

Sex Pistols: John Lydon likens music licensing agreement to 'slave labour'

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sid & Nancy ?
    Spoke to Gary Oldman in March.
    More a case of “ hi Gary” .. “ Hello “ back.
    He was filming something for Apple TV. :)

bob60 likes this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

"slave labour"

Ole Johnny has never disdained hyperbole.

4. alexpop

Hard to believe he doesn’t recall signing the BMA, in 1998.

Man at C&A and bob60 like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

♪ "Burn Hollywood Burn" ♫ ♪

JuanTCB and Postcard like this.
  6. Postcard

Postcard Back in the garage…….

Except it’s not Hollywood……
    St John’s Wood is nearer to the “action”.

So. No point in holding my breath for the 40th anniversary reunion then ……..
    Unless the Country Life money runs out.

Jack Lord and c-eling like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Was just listening to the cd single "Open Up" thought it was pretty funny

8. Postcard

Postcard Back in the garage…….

So did I. :agree::agree::agree:

c-eling likes this.
  9. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Yeah, they could get them all together and have them argue and recount their various contradictory versions of events, with dramatic reenactments. Like Rashomon!

AlienRendel and Gabba Gabba like this.
  10. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Even before this, it would never happen. I'm not quite sure why Glen/Steve/Cook don't just re-record the Pistols tracks with another vocalist, and call themselves The Ex Pistols. (They did film a rehearsal/soundcheck with A.N.Other vocalist in 2007 for 'cut in' shots on the There'll Always Be An England DVD )

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Er, have you seen The Filth And The Fury?

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually a friend of mine was a lead part in that film, though I have never seen it...

alexpop likes this.
  13. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Actually, yes, but right when it came out, which was so long ago that I remember nothing about it. Did it feature what I was fantasizing about? If so, I'll have to watch it again sometime.

14. Reverb

Reverb Forum Resident

Although Steve Jones, Paul Cook etc... have every right to use their music from the 70s to pay their bills in 2021 and beyond, as a fan I’ve got to suggest that biopics are never a good idea. If you’re reading this and you enjoy biopics about musicians, that’s cool... but to me, they always suck. I’d be interested in suggestions to the contrary. Thats sincere, not baiting.

In my experience, whatever IT is, IT’s in the music. On the records. In the documents of live performances. Its not going to be found in re-enactments. I’d say not ever.

If musicians can reap financial reward by allowing actors to portray the follies of their youth (and that’s always what’s portrayed, otherwise there is no story to re-enact) thats fine, but in my opinion it does nothing to shine additional light on the music that generated the interest in the first place.

Books are better. Or maybe theyre just my preference.

15. alexpop

:righton:

16. alexpop

Yes! Interviewed in the dark. But .. essential.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Think of all the young people who discovered Queen through their movie, or Elton John through his.

"Pistol" may not have the widespread appeal of those projects but how can it result in anything other than more people hearing the band's music who might not have otherwise?

JoeRockhead, bob60 and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    At first I thought this dapper gentleman was rocking the cravat look only to sadly realise that it was only his mask..

dlemaudit, bob60, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  19. alexpop

The Charlie Watts of Punk:)

20. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

how could a music fan never had heard of Queen or Elton John except for the movie?

i don't think this dream is as captivating as you wish

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Because they're kids. One guess where I first heard about the Doors...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  22. alexpop

I’m sure Maisie Williams may catch their intention.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Paul Cook's great. A rock solid drummer and perfect for the Pistols. He was Edwyn Collins drummer for a long time, possibly still is.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You and many thousands of others. I already liked them through my Dad, but loads of my friends discovered them through the film. No internet then!

25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Aside from the dramatisations, it is their story, told by them, contradictions and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.