Sex Pistols - Spunk Original Pressing - Question...???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The later version I got, which sucks, is Dojo CD 265, 1996.

2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Well, I think this one was slightly "remastered"...go for the Japan CD, you'll find it very cheap on Discogs etc....I got mine for 7 Euros...or simply buy the original CHAOS RECORDS vinyl, sounds best to my ears !!! For the missing "Pretty Vacant" track from that session, you should buy the SPIRAL SCRATCH MAGAZINE from 1989, including a bonus 7" with two SEX PISTOLS Goodman tracks.

3. Dave Decadent

Dave Decadent Forum Resident

Tried and wow!!! It does sound much better. Not sure if it's at the correct speed but moved the pitch control to near max. thanx for the advice.

4. Sidders

Sidders New Member

Sex Pistols Spunk original..how many pressed.?

Anyone know how many original pressings of "Spunk" were produced.Not the millions of "No Future" but the original Lynn Matrix numbered versions.

5. sathvyre

Be careful...there is a counterfeit pressing out there with the same matrix numbers, same labelprints, white cover etc...but you can hear very clearly that this version was straight ripped from vinyl (with cheap equipment) and pressed again...it has much more distortion than the original pressing, you can hear somne additional vinyl noise before / after some tracks, but looks very similar...I had both versions in my collection...the difference in sound is very big !!!
    I think the original first press of SPUNK was an edition of 1000 copies.

6. Sidders

Sidders New Member

Thanks for the reply...yeah i have the original then..phew!!!

7. sathvyre

The counterfeit pressing was made in late 1977 or early 1978, I think.
    The only optical differences between the original and the counterfeit pressing are a much smaller lead-out-groove on the original pressing (especially on side A)...besides this, the labels look like color-xeroxed ones. On the original version, labels look fantastic.

8. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I will need to double check my copy.

9. sathvyre

Please listen with headphones and check the silence between the tracks...on the counterfeit pressing, you will hear some additional vinyl noise (hiss and crackle) one second before and after the tracks...
    Most important proofs of a counterfeit pressing are a volume error on track 1 (it starts very quiet and becomes louder in the middle of the track - on the original pressing the volume level is identical from start to the end of the track) and a very audible strong distortion on the last Side A track "Anarchy In The UK"...

10. sathvyre

@seventeen: Did you check your version ??? I hope you have an original one...

11. Baldybastad

Baldybastad New Member

I own a copy that my aunt bought in london in 1977.This copy does not have an outer sleeve and never did.At the time the shop said that they ran out of outer sleeves.i know that this is how it was sold to her but has anybody heard of this before///

12. Cubilas

Cubilas Forum Resident

This is a really great resource, I've been looking for some solid information. Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

I have a press of Steely Dan – "Rotoscope Down Pleasantly Retired (A Peak Behind the Curtain)"
    Runout grooves read "9 TAKRL 1924"

Very distorted, but still listenable. Seems to be a different mix than other copies of the same album (with correct labels)

The interesting thing is it has the Sex Pistols "Spunk" label, which leads me to believe this is a re-pressing, as Spunk was released some time around 1977 (afaik:confused:) and I'd guess Rotoscope Down was released in 1974 or 1975.

Were Kornyfone and Blank ever associated with each other?
    Did this happen often? o_O
    Only reason I ask is I've never seen another one like it and I'm just intrigued as to how a Blank label got on a Kornyfone pressing.

Any insight would be awesome..! :wave:

13. Cubilas

Cubilas Forum Resident

Here's some visual reference....
    steeell.jpg IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I have a cd called There Is No Future ,
    does this one have the Spunk tracks ?
    correct speed ?

15. sathvyre

The SPUNK tracks on your CD have the wrong speed as included on the original LP.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Ugh!

thanks

17. sathvyre

If you are looking for a CD source, including the complete SPUNK LP + the missing tracks, released one year later on the complete version of the "No Future UK?" album, go for the "No Future UK?" CD (Receiver Records). This is a flat transfer of the original LP.

BIG ED likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

19. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Yeah, it's excellent sound quality.

Scope J likes this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

thanks

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

man i want one but sounds impossible to find an original... you have to be virtually a sound archaelogist or something!

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

It wasn't that EZY even back-in-the-day; i had too go over too Zary's [infamous bootlegger] home too get one.
    Though the GREAT Discogs there are some for sale:
    http://www.discogs.com/Sex-Pistols-Spunk/release/673946

Enjoy.

23. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

I'm not sure - this infamous bootleg was pressed a year or so I started working at Lyntone! I did ask a colleague once and he thought it was 5,000, but this could be wrong.

Apparently the Pistols management and their lawyers descended on the Lyntone factory writs in hand trying to make look like a raid!

As far as I know Lyntone were unwittingly duped into this: the Q/C staff (ithe only people who would have listened to it) at the time were Asian - nice guys, but their knowledge of punk and rock was a bit lacking!

The original bootleg was mastered by George Peckham of a "Porky Prime Cut" fame, I met George a couple of times and I'm kicking myself for not asking if he had any suspicions about the Spunk LP!

I used to have an original factory reference copy, but I foolishly sold it on eBay (and it fetched considerably less than it should have! :mad::mad::mad:)

We used to look out for bootlegs and stop them if we could: I personally stopped bootlegs of Adam and the Ants, Michael Jackson and a couple of dodgy compilations!

I turned a blind eye (deaf ear!) to Tom's Diner by Susan Vega - the remix with beats because I rather liked it!!

24. JuanTu34

JuanTu34 New Member

could've been worse...

the copy of Spunk i got has the Pistols Blank labels, but is actually a live Supertramp bootleg.

apparently, Amazing Kornyfone used the Spunk labels on a few other concert bootlegs by other bands...there's a Beatles bootleg on eBay right now with the same labels.

even though they kinda sucked live, i coulda lived with the Beatles...but Supertramp?!?

ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.