"Sgt. Pepper" coming in 2017!! (Sorry, the movie on blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The Bee Gees were able to recover from the wreckage of this travesty, but it really hurt Frampton at the time. He really didn't deserve it, either.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The movie is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. Some of The Bee Gees interpretations of the songs are actually not bad, the highlights are Aerosmith, Billy Preston and Steve Martin who played his part totally for laughs. I already have it on DVD, I would be interested in the bluray if it has some interesting extras.

3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I hope there will be a Super Deluxe Option.
    Joke aside, but it would be nice if they release a CD comp with all recordings of Beatles songs the Gibb brothers made. I think there's enough recorded to fill an album. And I find most of their performances in this movie quite pleasant. The movie is unwatchable and most of the performances are tragic, but when only Bee Gees perform Beatles songs I enjoy them.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What?!? No Ultra 4K release? :confused:

GLUDFSSR likes this.
  5. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I watched this again a month or two ago via public library electronic resource. Steve Martin's turn in this makes me downright uneasy. He had to know that what he was doing in this thing wasn't funny, just hammy and stupid. The guy knows comedy and music, but you couldn't tell it from SPLHCB.
    George Burns could have made it to the end of his career without adding this to his resume too.

6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

It's an awful movie BUT....

I like Got To Get You Into My Life by Earth Wind & Fire more than the original.

Jarleboy and GeoffC like this.
  7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh, more than that - at least a two disc set. There's a load of Bee Gees Beatle covers that remain unreleased.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The ultimate stinker
    How embarrassing.

9. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I disagree strongly! Not about the movie - that´s a train wreck, and, as fsutall remarked, makes "XANADU" look like a masterpiece.

But there is one aspect of the movie that I love: The photo shoot of all the then-living legends of pop music. So many of them are now dead or have retired from the music business. I think the Blu-ray would be worth buying for that clip alone.

fsutall likes this.
  10. Jarleboy

Add "THE WAR" to that list of Kevin Costner movies, please. :agree:

11. Jarleboy

I am seriously considering buying this Blu-ray, though I don´t really know. I already have the DVD if I want to enlighten people as to how bad the movie is. (And it really is.)

Does anyone know whether this will be a region free release? I found it listed as Region A on 0ne website, and I fear that´s the cold hard truth.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That quote has always astonished me. He must have done a mountain of cocaine before saying that.

He shoulda known better! no pun intended. :laugh: No mercy for the conspirators!

13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Coke mixed with the hubris resulting from the overwhelming success of Saturday Night Fever, and knowing they had The Beatles' actual producer on board. The soundtrack still went platinum, certified July 19, 1978, just a few days after release. Everyone made a lot of money on this turd.

Every time this film comes up I will quote Janet Maslin's famous put-down: "This isn't a movie, it's a business deal set to music."

14. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I saw it in a theater the first weekend it was released. There was a line around the building, believe it or not.

I bought the soundtrack, ordered the Steve Martin/Dr. Maxwell Edison Mylar poster and collected the bubblegum cards. Obviously, I was a child without the most discerning taste.

That said, the right special features exploring the debacle that is this movie (and it's accompanying cash grab) may warrant a purchase.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, I'd file that one under "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

I don't know if it actually bombed. I saw it in a huge theater, Kansas City's Midland. I remembered I enjoyed it at the time. And it's not as if it was the incredibly dreadful and tasteless "All This And World War II" (which remains a great source of obscure Beatles covers.)

I recall that Dr. Pepper had a big co-promotion "See Sgt Pepper's! Drink Dr Pepper!'

Solaris likes this.
  16. Solaris

I just looked it up, and with a budget of $18 million it's final domestic gross was about $20.3 million, so, yeah, it bombed. The soundtrack more than balanced out the ultimate financial losses though, and while it doesn't seem to have destroyed the careers of the main players, it remains a bizarre black spot on everyone's record.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You just made me watch this. My eyes, they burn.

Solaris likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It may have shipped platinum but they were returned by stores by the boatload and RSO ended up selling them to a wholesaler for .25 each. Soon after you saw them dirt cheap all over the place as a cut out. RSO never recovered and went out of business shortly after. I'm sure, however, they paid the talent well.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That's a toughie. As Barry Gibb said, you get an offer to star in a film with a lot of famous people, based on a treasured album with the real producer of the classic album producing the soundtrack. And made by RSO who had enormous success with SNF and Grease. You would really kick yourself if you passed and it hit big. And I'm sure many of them got extremely well paid. Especially George Martin, the Bee Gees and some others. You can't really blame them if you think of it in those terms. Credit to the Bee Gees for begging to be released from it the moment they saw what was acrually being filmed. Barry knew right away and feared it would destroy their career, which ultimately we know it didn't. Funny they thought that given the cheesy video stuff they produced previously imo.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I really enjoyed the parts of the film with Frampton, Bee Gees and Strawberry Fields but did not enjoy all the guest musical number sequences as well, with the exception of EW&F, who IMO bested the Beatles version of GTGYIML and fortunately weren't called on to act.

21. Solaris

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know of any articles related to this?

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:laugh:

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, I could argue that RSO Records got hit hardest by the fallout from this movie.

Jrr likes this.
  24. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Shout Factory region lock all their releases. Doesn't bother me as I have a Region A dedicated player to watch those on.

Right now I'm just biding my time waiting for Shout to announce what extras they have planned for this. I'm keeping my expectations low but I'd hope at least for a director's commentary and perhaps a few interviews with some of the cast and crew. If they bag Barry then they better be sure to keep the sake coming...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I owned a record store so I knew a lot about cut outs and things of that sort. I may have read it in Billboard, and all the back issues are available on line, but it has been so long I just don't know for sure. A lot of what I know comes from a Bary Gibb interview I saw years ago. Of course, he didn't discuss the cut out issue.

Solaris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.