"Sgt. Pepper" coming in 2017!! (Sorry, the movie on blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is absolutely correct. Everyone else got their money. That was one of the reasons they changes the policy of taking back any quantity of unsold records for full value. Polygram almost went under because of the four solo KISS albums that were returned in huge numbers (which is why I'm curious why they were recently reissued) and other huge bombs that flooded the market when the disco boom went bust almost over night.

2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thanks for the info. You saved me a few bob there. :righton:

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  3. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I attended a Guitar Center Q and A with Peter Frampton a few years back. A guy sitting behind was picked to ask a question. He started asking about the Sgt. Pepper movie when Peter stopped him mid sentence and said (paraphrasing), "I'm sorry, but I don't discuss that movie." The guy smiled uncomfortably, paused, then continued with the question. Peter interrupted again and said (again something to the effect of),"no really, I don't discuss that movie."

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    ZippyPippy likes this.
  4. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

There is the possibility that a UK label might pick this up in the future. Arrow would be a long shot (but, damn, would I love it) so I reckon either Fabulous Films or Second Sight may be candidates.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Jarleboy

It would be nice to have it on Blu-ray. Just for showing off - in a negative way - to friends and pupils, and for that awesome clip at the end, showing all those legends in one place. Love that bit.

I´m more excited about the forthcoming reissue of the Bee Gees "ONE FOR ALL" concert later this year. It´s being remixed and re-edited, and I am hoping for a SD-Blu-ray release. Now THAT´s the way to enjoy Bee Gees!

As for some of the comments upthread: The Bee Gees´ acting chops may have been lacking, but I think they acquitted them quite well in terms of singing the songs. Robin´s "OH, DARLING" was the single, but I think both "NOWHERE MAN" and "A DAY IN THE LIFE" were very good.

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  6. ferdinandhudson

If this gets an "SD Blu-ray" release then one thing they'd better not do is cropping it to 16:9 like they did with the ONO disc. I'd rather have had the Japanese DVD of ONO with its PCM track than that monstrosity.

Barry didn't give up his dreams of the big screen though as he had the William Morris Agency looking out for parts for him to play.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Jarleboy

I hope they´ll "do the right thing". The concert itself is one of my very best concert videos - the Laserdisc was 99%perfect. Let´s hope they end up close 100%. I am hopeful, if not exactly optimistic.

No, he didn´t. He also starred in the many videos for the "NOW VOYAGER" VHS and later DVD. (I haven´t seen it, even though I love the album.) He didn´t display any acting ability in "CUCMBER CASTLE" or "SGT. PEPPER´S", but I´m always interested in seeing him.

8. ferdinandhudson

It is the closest visual representation of my concert experience at Valbyhallen in Denmark for that tour so close to my heart as it ended up being my first and last Bee Gees concert in my life (F.U. to Ryanair btw). Maurice' brief rendition of "Wonderful, wonder Copenhagen" was awesome too.

Bought the Channel 5 VHS back in the mid eighties and upgraded to the DVD when it was issued (heck, it even was released a few months earlier in Sweden than the rest of Europe), contemplated getting the Japanese LD at one point but ultimately never did. Well, Now Voyager was his own thing and not based on movie producers or directors beating down his door to act in their movies so I hardly count that as worthwile credit in his acting resumé. The segments between each "music video" doesn't really speak to his favour in the acting department, tbh. Now I've seen worse, mind you, but he ain't no Hollywood material that's for sure. ;-)

9. Jarleboy

He, he... Barry Gibb has many talents. Acting may not be one of them.

Yes, I love that concert, and I have watched it many times. You mention Maurice - his little shenanigans completely won me over. The Gibb brothers did have a sense of humour, though not always visible to the naked eye. (Does the furore around the HeeBee GeeBees single "MEANINGLESS SONGS" ring a bell? Brilliant piss-take - even beautiful. And they did have a point - how many Bee Gees lyrics make sense? Who cares - they sound good.) But Maurice´s antics when they perform "HOLIDAY" is unforgettable.

The Bee Gees were a wonderful band.

joelee likes this.
  10. ferdinandhudson

Quite telling that HeeBeeGeeBees even fooled Blue Weaver believing it was one of their songs.
    I really like the older concerts from the early 70s where Maurice is goofing off at times and getting Barry and Robin to crack up (Robin tends to keep his cool though). Now, getting those on DVD (legitimatly I should add) is something I'd like Barry to get into. We've had ONO being the darling of the bunch for 20 years now and while its nice to see One For All getting, seemingly, back in print again I wish they had had more of presence in the "visual arena" as it were. Rights issues I suppose, we're likely never getting the 1979 concert on DVD thanks to that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Jarleboy

About the "SPIRITS HAVING FLOWN" 1979 tour: No, probably never. I have the TV-show on DVD, but it only contains snippets of the songs, and the technical quality is only so-so.

Agree about seeing more live stuff. Some was included in the official biographical DVDs/Blu-rays - "KEPPEL ROAD" and "IN THEIR OWN TIME", but again - snippets. Not to be morbid, but perhaps we´ll see more when the flast standing Bee Gee leaves the stage. (Many years from now I hope.)

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This might not be the right place to talk about this, but, perhaps, some of you here might know or remember this:
    I remember, as a kid, that before this movie came out, there was an 'off-Broadway' show called, "Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band On The Road"....
    Now, I only remember seeing the ad for it in the New York Times.. I don't know anything about it...
    Do any of you?
    Did it have any connection to this movie, or was it just people doing Beatle songs, like "Beatlmania!"

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most complete explanation of the play here: Meet the Beatles for Real: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the road
    Story on John Lennon's nearly forgotten Broadway flop here: John Lennon’s nearly-forgotten 1974 Broadway flop

Time Magazine review (partial) The Theater: Contagious Vulgarity

vince likes this.
  14. vince

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I saw the show at The Beacon in December 1974, unfortunately didn’t have a ticket for the premiere that John Lennon attended. The musical was entertaining as I recall, and I think I can safely say that it was better than the movie that came out four years later.

dewey02 likes this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I figured that someone would have burned the masters by now.

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Got the Bluray yesterday and watched the movie with the commentary by Pop historian Russell Dyball who provided a lot of fascinating information about the production, touching also on John Lennon’s involvement in promoting the earlier stage musical version, and also something I’d forgotten that Paul McCartney attended a performance of the play. Other extras include the original movie trailer and a gallery of production photos and the Sgt. Pepper movie collectible trading cards. I would like to have seen a mini documentary on the movie with archival and current interviews with the films’ participants, though I don’t think either Barry Gibb or Peter Frampton want to dwell on the matter.

[​IMG]

Solaris likes this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Interesting bit of trivia. The actor Dennis Cleveland Stewart who played the part of ‘Crater Face’ in the movie Grease also appears in the Sgt. Pepper movie in the ‘Maxwell Silver Hammer’ sequence with Steve Martin who was making his film debut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

He was also in the Moonlighting TV show pilot.
    I believe he died from AIDS.

20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Well, I've had the DVD in sealed plastic for years, I picked it up cheap even though I heard
    all the reviews about it and the Bee Gee comments they themselves said about it.
    I didn't have much interest in cracking the seal tonight to check it out.
    I lasted about 20 minutes before I started to hit the FF button to watch the Bee Gee/Frampton/Burns
    stuff in the film.
    Yep, it's a 'lemon' for sure. Glad I only paid a couple of dollars for it just to peruse through it thou.
    I'll probably never watch it again.
    For once I agree with the reviews.
    Certainly a a cow turd on a good day.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. clayton

clayton Senior Member

22. I avoided this movie when it came out and I'm going to avoid it again now.

Rick Bartlett and audiomixer like this.
  23. Jarleboy

The only good thing about the movie, apart from a certain car-crash-watching experience, is the photo montage of all the good and the great performers at the end. That alone is worth the time wasted on the awful movie. Too sad to realise how many of those greats are now gone.

The Beatles members wisely stayed away from this project. I read a Paul McCartney interview in Rolling Stone where he was asked about the film. (This was before the release of the film.) He was casually dismissive of the project, but remained polite. I´m neither a Beatles nor a McCartney fan, but I admired his savoir faire back then. He could smell a turkey.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  24. vince

THIS SENTENCE MADE ME LAUGH!
    I may want THIS on my tombstone!

Rick Bartlett and Jarleboy like this.
  25. Jarleboy

I hope that will be a looong time off in the future. :righton:

vince likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.