Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Both were in theaters in LA and NY.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Member your mama warned you about Thread Starter

I think Disney was hoping Shang-Chi could be a hit and money-maker in China, but now it is looking like China may not allow the movie to be released in China because of some negative comments Simu Liu made years ago in an interview. The Eternals is already facing trouble with getting released in China because of old, negative comments about China by director Chloe Zhao. This could spell trouble for future MCU movies that include Simu Liu, like an Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers: Endgame type of movie with an ensemble cast.

It will also be hard for Simu Liu to "take back" his comments (like John Cena did, when he publicly apologized for calling Taiwan a "country"), given they weren't just a "faux pas" of using the wrong term, but about why his family left China. And more so than John Cena, Simu could risk alienating Asian fans if he does so.

Shang-Chi was shot for the IMAX and does include more image at the top and bottom of the frame than what's shown on a regular screen (like they did for Black Panther), if not the full square image of IMAX scenes in Dark Knight or Dunkirk. I saw Shang-Chi in IMAX, and generally enjoy the taller aspect ratio with more image at the top and bottom on the very big IMAX screen. But I wouldn't say it was essential, and it was probably more noticeable in Black Panther (e.g., you could see more spectators on the cliff in the waterfall fight scene, with the taller image).

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe 3 months since last false death report!

If I can change one thing about the Academy Awards nomination process, it would be get rid of that bi-coastal snobbery and require a film to play in the top 25 markets or something like that. So that people who don't live in NY or LA would actually have a chance to see something.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's actually a positive for small independent films that can't get national distribution. I believe the rule says it has to play in at least 2 theaters for a week (maybe it's 2 weeks), and they generally go for NY and LA. Full list of rules here:

https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/94aa_rules.pdf

I might be going to the Academy Museum when it opens in a few weeks in my neighborhood, and I'll mention your concerns to them and see what they say.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe 3 months since last false death report!

A valid point, but then again the cost of distribution has declined so precipitously with digital. No need for thousands of prints being made and shipped.

I wish studios and theater chains would take better advantage of the flexibility that digital distribution can give them. They could change films more often than once a week. They could bring older films back more frequently. Instead they seem to be addicted to a model determined by shipping heavy film prints.

They'll probably tell me to go pound sand.

6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Mulan doesn't even register online as having a domestic box office gross. Whatever release it had must have been minimal and token.

I'm still seeing quite a lot of "revival" movies showing in theaters. 5 older movies upcoming for ScreenX releases at Regal this month (Aquaman, WW84, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc.), plus Harry Potter 1 in 4DX. I see Outsiders extended cut is playing this month as well. Labyrinth 35th is showing this week. Citizen Kane is upcoming.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, the theaters sure do. On Thursday/Friday, they'll have four theaters showing the latest big blockbusters. But if the film is a dud, they replace it on Saturday or Sunday with different films, and now only two theaters will show the "bomb" blockbuster. You couldn't do that nearly as easily with a film print, but with digital, it's just re-assigning the server to different projectors within the multiplex. The studio has a way of using a digital key (the KDM) which checks and verifies how many times a digital file has been played, what time of day, and what theater in which it was shown, so they still get paid.

But they'll only show classic, older films if there's an audience for them, and that's iffy.

8. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I see.

So you found

...the resurrection of both the evil Dweller-in-Darkness, which sends false psychic messages to potential rescuers across dimensions, and the (good) flying underwater dragon The Great Protector after several millennia, for a rematch was handled in a credible, straightforward, no-nonsense manner which did not tax your suspension of disbelief.

Got it! :laugh:

9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yes, exactly!

rikki nadir likes this.
  10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

By this coming Friday, Shang-Chi should be at approximately $150M in domestic box office gross. If the movie can make $18M to $20M in the upcoming weekend (therefore a domestic gross of about $170M), then it has a good chance of crossing over the $200M mark domestically. Even if Shang-Chi just grosses $190M (surpassing Black Widow, currently at $183M), it would still become the year's top grossing film (so far).

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think everyone expects the next Spider-Man to be the top-grossing 2021 film. The next Venom and Bond will have a chance to beat Shang-Chi also. But we'd pretty much have to see pre-pandemic levels of performance for that to happen. It's still not quite clear if Shang-Chi's gross represents pre-pandemic levels or is depressed. Its gross will end up around the first Ant-Man's. I guess West Side Story has an outside chance to hit $200 million also. I don't think WB's titles will have a shot, nor anything that gets a concurrent day-and-date digital release.

soundboy likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Apparently I’m too conservative with my estimate. After Wednesday, Shang-Chi stands at $152.5M and is likely to hit $155M after Thursday. If Shang-Chi grosses $18M this coming weekend, then it will surpass the domestic gross of “A Quiet Place II” and F9. Topping the domestic gross of Black Widow is almost guaranteed.