Share your records pressed on "secret" Quiex type vinyl (NOT colored/clear vinyl) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, May 6, 2012.

1. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

Yes it did. Not in us, but it was released originally here in Europe. This is Not on quiex vinyl, so i'm a little in doubt as well. Also got the Jayhawks and the two mentioned American Music Club originals, and they are Not quiex either... If you try very hard one could argue that Tomorrow The Green Grass is, though i think it's more due to the thin vinyl.

2. galaxie500

Just checked my old screaming trees lp's.... Buzz factory is not quiex.
    But these two are:

Clairvoyance
    Invicible Lantern

3. galaxie500

None of mine are but my The Feelies 'The good Earth' on Coyote is quiex....

4. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Just checked. My copy of Good Earth is too.:thumbsup: As with Only Life and Time For a Witness, I had to hold it up to a pretty bright light to see its transparency.

5. galaxie500

Ok.... Where was yours pressed??? Both my copies are European - is there a US press of Time For A Witness?

6. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Yes, it appears to be a US pressing. Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling, with Sterling stamped in the dead wax.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just picked up Susan Vega's Days of Open hand promo last week.

8. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Taj Mahal, Taj
    Windows, The French Laundry

9. Tremaindous

Pat Metheny
    • As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
    • Still life (talking)

10. Tremaindous

Mel Lewis and The Jazz Orchestra, Naturally

11. Tremaindous

June Christy with The Lou Levy Sextet, Impromptu

12. Tremaindous

Larry Coryell & Emily Remler, Together
    Larry Coryell &Brian Keane, Just Like Being Born

13. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Jerry Goodman-On The Future Of Aviation, Private Music Records

14. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

The Who - It's Hard (on Quiex II)

I have some others, but can't remember what they are right now. This one, I just bought.

15. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

I've got an old Styx and it does not impress me at all. Maybe it was worn out when I bought it, who knows. The plain 'ol cd blows it away.

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Thank you for this thread. I've come across several see-through black vinyl records in my collection and just thought they were pressed with "cheap" vinyl. Now I know it's the opposite. I'll have to double check to see which ones. At the moment the only one I know for sure is my promo copy of Elton John's Breaking Hearts.

17. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Lucinda Williams: S/T (Rough Trade)--love the sound of this
    Let's Active: Cypress (IRS)

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. Tremaindous

Yellowjackets (on Warner Brothers)
    • Mirage A Trois
    • Samurai Samba

19. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

More Quiex...

Frank Sinatra -" Some Nice Things I've Missed" (US reprise pressing)
    Chicago -"19" (Canadian pressing)

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a copy of Across the Rooftops by The Blue Nile on A&M Quiex.

21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I probably have 25-30 of those translucent black LP's, they were a lot of them in the 80's.

22. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Found another one.

10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe, Elektra - 9 60738-1, LP, Promo, Translucent vinyl, US, 1987
    Mastered by Mike Reese & Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab
    TML-X x 2
    SRC x 2 (Specialty Records Corporation)

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, c-eling, Lethrus and 2 others like this.
  23. MightyVinyl

MightyVinyl Forum Resident

Good to see we've gotten more focused on the translucent -vs- clear/colored.

I believe ALL the "Quiex II Limited Edition" pressings (with sticker on jacket) from WEA were promo issues only. Can anyone confirm this?

It would be great to see a little more clarity in the responses:

1. Only refer to a "Quiex II" pressing when it was stickered as such on the jacket (there are other translucent/virgin vinyl issues that didn't use the proprietary Quiex II formulation so this shouldn't be used as a generic description).

2. Differentiate between promo pressings and stock pressings. As far as I can discern, the only "Quiex II" pressings with actual documentation are those that were WEA promo pressings. If you have a stock issue that is stickered as Quiex II, note it that way.

Great stuff. There's a debate again on Discogs (started by me) as to whether this is an actual intentional pressing, or a mfg. anomaly. It's obvious to most dealers that this was an intentional strategy, but the collectors on Discogs seem to favor an odd belief that this is only a random manufacturing anomaly. Weird. Feels like I'm arguing that the earth is actually round and that the sun doesn't revolve around us.

24. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

Has anyone determined if there is any substantial difference between the Quiex II formula, the JVC formula, or any other translucent vinyl formula? Are they are virgin vinyl formulations? Is that why they are translucent?

FWIW, I have a copy of John Fahey's Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death on Riverboat Records, that is translucent. It is an early '70s pressing according to Goldmine Record Guide. That would make it the earliest translucent vinyl (not clear or colored) that I own.

25. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Just sorting my albums (starting backwards at Z) and noticed the following John Zorn albums are on translucent brown vinyl:

Spillane, Spy vs Spy, The Big Gundown (all on Nonesuch)
    Naked City: Torture Garden (on Shimmy Disc)

None of the above is a promo. The Nonesuch records are more see-through than the other one.

EDIT: also noticed that Zorn's Locus Solus on the Rift label is also translucent but more of an indigo colour :cool: