Sharp Objects new HBO crime drama with Amy Adams *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Anybody watch? I quite liked the first episode, although anything with Amy Adams(and Patricia Clarkson) is ok with me. It's far from perfect, but pretty good, noir-ish summer crime stuff.

2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Just because the central character guzzles hard liquor out of plastic cups they have to have a public service message in case you know someone who is in trouble. The show gave us convincing small town atmosphere, intriguing mysteries and characters with dimension so I'm in. Marti Noxon (Buffy, Madmen) is also behind Dietland and has not been taking it easy.

Dmdstrhalo likes this.
  3. sberger

I streamed it on HBO Go and didn't see the PSM. Was it before or after? In any event, I agree with your review.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll be watching, but not one episode per week!

Malina likes this.
  5. Dmdstrhalo

Dmdstrhalo Forum Resident

Started, seems good. I figured someone here could identify the setup the father has for listening to records?

6. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

My jury is still out on this. It is shot beautifully, I will say that.
    I just kinda felt like I've seen these themes before, just not necessarily with a female lead.

WRT the father's audio system, I believe I spotted Classe' components. Not sure about the turntable. Didn't see the speakers.

Dmdstrhalo likes this.
  7. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

The PSA was added because the main character is a a self harming cutter .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    GentleSenator likes this.
  8. I'll tune in and give it a chance.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

She also created UnREAL, which is a fantastically soapy, but addictive, show. So I'm in for this.

GLUDFSSR and Brenald79 like this.
  10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, I thought it was Classe too. Turntable looked very expensive, but I wasn't sure what it was either.

Anyway, my wife and I both enjoyed the first episode. Got a bit of a True Detective vibe to it I'd say.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Another fan here, although it's using all the same old tropes, why can't they be happily married T.T. and well adjusted.

It's great to see US TV has calmed down too much action hurts my brain, episode 2 soon.

12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I really like it so far.

13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Keeping the audiophile portion of this thread going, particularly for the headphiles: The stepdad used Ultrasone Tribute 7 Anniversary Series headphones in episode 2.

500Homeruns likes this.
  14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Has anybody figured out the turntable?

15. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

[​IMG]

500Homeruns likes this.
  16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I’m two episodes in and enjoying it so far. A bit of a True Detective (Season 1) vibe along with the obvious early Twin Peaks element (person comes to small town to investigate murder of young girl and starts to dig into the murkier underbelly and characters).

One thing that this show shares with last year’s Little Big Lies is the prominence of music and specifically actually showing album artwork on the characters devices etc. Last night Amy was listening to both LCD Soundsystem and the marvellous M.Ward. Music is always a key element (see True Detective and Twin Peaks) but I wonder why we are being shown the actual artwork on the music devices.

Great show,

EddieMann likes this.
  17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, showing the artwork is interesting. Seems like a prime area to spot a goof up too. Sooner or later they are bound to show the incorrect artwork for the song that is playing :o

Gumboo likes this.
  18. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

....and we’ll be all over it.

timind and curbach like this.
  19. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

The amount of Led Zeppelin they played in the first episode likely cost enough to stage half a season of any sitcom.

I'm wondering about the turntable too, especially because it's focused on in the credits.

Clarkson and Adams are sensational. I like the slow pace, the murky flashbacks. I did not read the book so I have no idea where this is going but damn, it is an interesting journey.

20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This was the first thing I liked about the show, not that it was LZ or whatever but the fact that the music was used like mile markers for her driving somewhere throughout most of a day. I sometimes travel like that and recently had to drive from Kansas city MO to Chattanooga TN in one day and that driving scene was very reminiscent of how my drive went that day.
    I found myself trying to place where she had gone after St. Louis by the LZ discography that was being played, thinking time wise I might be able to figure it out, The scene struck me as being realistic in a smart way.
    admittedly I was already tired and zonked when we started this show (or I might have paid attention and known where she was headed...) and I didn't even make it that far into the show. I woke up at the very end of episode 2 thinking that I really have to watch this show now, tonight I will.

21. Splungeworthy

It's scary how much the young actress portraying young Camille looks like Amy Adams. This hasn't hooked me like Big Little Lies did (the other Jean-Marc Vallee recently directed show), but it's intriguing enough for me to keep going.

Blair G. likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is this directed by Jean Marc as Big Little Lies was?

23. Splungeworthy

Yup.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought he did a spectacular job on Lies. Not sure about the premise of this one for me. Is it really dark and depressing?

25. sberger

Dark yes. So far not terribly depressing, although I suppose others might say different. I would say the comparisons to True Detective are reasonable, so if you were ok with that you should be fine with this.

I just finished watching both seasons of The Missing, and while I loved them both, they were what I would call depressing.

chacha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.