Sharp Objects new HBO crime drama with Amy Adams *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

That's funny. It was Almost Famous that I was thinking of. I remember Cameron saying he had to convince them to use the songs and due to his friendship with them was able to do it. I have a hard time thinking of instances since then where they have been used. I'm sure they're are some but next to the Beatles they are the band you hear the least in soundtracks. Yet Sharp Objects seems to have their entire discography at their disposal.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They are smart to be using the songs several times over the series - hopefully they're getting their money's worth!

ndoheny likes this.
  3. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I binge watched this last Sunday and just saw the latest episode tonight. It’s really held my interest, although it is depressing and disturbing at times. Like others have said, I initially suspected the sheriff or Alan. The lady in white angle could be key.

4. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

5. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

bmoregnr likes this.
  6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Great episode last night.
    Very surreal to hear them playing Sandy Denny’s Who Knows Where The Time Goes in the rough and tumble bar on the wrong side of town.

LSP2003, Paul Mazz and EddieMann like this.
  8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Ha! Yeah, that wasn’t really a Sandy Denny crowd was it.

jon9091 likes this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That was a good episode, and IMO we were due a bit as the preceding couple were a little on the tougher to love side; arty sure, and I'm on board in the whole, but still harder to love perhaps. I look forward to how they wrap it up. Plus the stereo got a flashback! I am beginning to think the stereo did it.

mrjinks and jon9091 like this.
  10. jon9091

Did anyone see the weird reflection in the mirror when adora was trying to nurse Camille...and Camille said no and went into the bathroom?

EddieMann likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes, each episode seems to have 1-2 of those girl flashes/reflections.

jon9091 likes this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I also wanted to say what a great ending sequence song choice. All the little audio/audiophile nuances starting the lp with the crickets in the background. I went back and checked and I can’t get the back cover in the flashback to match the front cover in the present, but I’m only checking the first print and I’d guess they got that right if that’s what they were suggesting.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  13. jon9091

Yeah...that song choice was spot on. I had never heard it before. I had to look it up to make sure it was them. So dark.

bmoregnr likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Some online are saying that it's the Judy Collins' version.

EddieMann likes this.
  15. jon9091

I’ll have to watch that part again. Maybe it was....I’ve never heard the Judy Collins version.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

jon9091 likes this.
  17. jon9091

I had to watch that whole thing again. I also completely missed Adora biting the baby.
    So fn creepy.

18. jon9091

Wow! Great episode.

EddieMann likes this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I had to read 3 or 4 online reviews of tonight's episode to make sure I saw what I saw.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Amazing ending to a great series. Now, I really want to read the novel it’s based on.

jon9091 likes this.
  21. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

The opening scene at the dinner I had to watch twice so intense. The editor reading Camille's final story was heart-wrenching. The final outcome I guessed a bit before but still holy crap!!

jon9091 likes this.
  22. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Been a long time since I had to hold my breath for an hour!

jon9091 likes this.
  23. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Same here. That sequence during the credits went by so fast I was sure I missed something (which I did, the scene where Natalie had died).

What will Camille to do now, I wonder.

EddieMann likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I binge watched the whole season. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a whole. I found the first half rather tedious, however it picked up quite a bit in the back half. I wasn't crazy about the style and tone of the show and found the frequent flashbacks too abrupt the way they were cut-in with the present day scenes (sometimes confusing).

Also, there was way too much music being played all the time - in the home, in every car scene, it was just too much (this is particularly evident, I think, if you binge watch the eps).

I'm not sure why Camille didn't blow the whistle on her mother and allowed herself to be drugged. While she may have been trying to take the focus away from her little sister, to somehow save her, it seemed like a pretty daft plan. She should have notified her cop buddy and they could have searched the house, like they did in the end.

Didn't see the twist coming, but I guess it's plausible if you take into account years of abuse and mental illness...

So, I guess I liked it, but wasn't crazy about it.

GentleSenator and sberger like this.
  25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

"In the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevening"

"Don't tell Mama"

(beh neh neh neh neh neh neh nehhhh....)

vudicus and Luckless Pedestrian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.