Sharp Objects new HBO crime drama with Amy Adams *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Never once did I think the kid (Amma) did these murders.
    Confident by ep. 6 it was Adora.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

She was one of me and the wife’s early suspects...her and her friends laughing about the unpopular girls getting killed... but we quickly dumped that as a red herring and moved onto the Dad...the Mom...her boss...the sheriff...just about everybody else....even Camille herself.

Great show. Great ending. Great use of music.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Agreed.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

I never watch the closing credits. Last night was in the middle of doing something else when they were rolling and looked up when the flashbacks hit. Had to rewind and freeze them to try to understand what I was looking at...finally going online to get the full scoop. Didn't guess the killer either.

All in all I enjoyed it but doubt I'll ever rewatch like I do with other shows to pick up things I missed. Just not as interested.

RK2249 likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That was a very good final show and it was all unrolled and doled out nicely. Again some great little sound work on small things like Adora mixing her bottles; small thing, but I was always floored by what they did with the sound design. There was some wonderful lighting and sets in this episode, even a step up for a series already quite adept at it throughout. My wife in a podcast heard about the dollhouse floor, someone came to it without reading the book they say, so while that took some of the sting out of it, Amma in the doorway was a great finish. I have to say the concept of the ivory floor was already a really interesting device to me that carried a lot of thematic weight, so to have it brought around full circle in miniature was satisfying. I’m glad the stereo got one last scene! It was funny, my wife, perhaps because she is used to seeing where I have my Simaudio integrated volume set for my small room, usually in the mid 50’s, said that is pretty loud when it was cranked to approximately 73.8; I said yeah that doesn't seem right.

I suppose I would have to add that I’d probably only recommend this to someone who was really into hanging around art houses on a regular basis vs. expecting straight storytelling; but this was the first thing I’ve seen in full from this director and it was quite impressive on many fronts.

6. jon9091

So the signs and words that would quickly change, and change back...what was all that about? That seemed to be a big clue for a while, that really didn’t go anywhere.

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think those were about Camille’s state of mind. I’d venture that exploring 3-4 characters’ state of mind made up 83% of the show with Camille’s portion being 58%.

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Actually, last night in the scene where they are having dinner with Camille's editor, the words, "Call mom" (I think) showed up on the hand of Amma's friend Mae. Camille sees them with a puzzled look on her face, but of course does nothing.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the ending caught me totally off guard.

i thought for sure it was the dad (henry czerny).

so, did the mom know it was her daughter and she went to jail to cover for her?

how about the black girl's mom asking camille if she had seen her?

still amazing how she hid the teeth, and the scene during the credits was amazing, especially if you slow it down.

10. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I thought it was Amma early on but gave up on that eventually...especially when Adora was poisoning her.

There were some slow episodes that really went nowhere but it was an ok show.

I slowed down the end credits too but there were still some things that weren't clear to me. Who was lying on the bedroom floor looking under the bed, was that Camille's dead sister?

There was also a scene in one of the "previously on Sharp Objects" sequences (or from the coming attractions, I don't remember) where Adora's husband walks onto the porch at night and seems to scream but I don't remember seeing that in an actual episode...did I miss something?

Anyway...I thought my family was effed up...yeesh.

11. sberger

John's sister(forgot her name). Killed in the carriage house of John's cheerleader girlfriend.

RK2249 likes this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Per @sberger that was Natalie being murdered in the Carriage House, the blood showing up later on.

I think I remember Alan screaming in the show. It seemed a small thing, more that he realized things were getting out of hand again, either Vickery getting to him (the author said that wasn’t much a part of the book), Camille throwing the house upside down, or Adora starting up again with her special brand of caregiving. I am of a mind that they were trying to point out that Adora had mostly given up the Munchausens (maybe as Camille gave up the cutting), or at least she toned down the degree of it for Amma these past years; and now it was getting ramped up again meaning Alan had to crank the stereo. Funny, my wife asked if there any extra meaning in Alan having a bunch of 60’s albums with scantily clad women; I said I don't know I don't go for that style of music.

RK2249 likes this.
  13. sberger

For those that read the book, what's the deal with Alan? Was it his money or Adora's? I'm gathering that he's her second husband(I think) but the guy doesn't seem to work, yet obviously they have money(the slaughter house being the main source of income?) enough for him to have that house, the expensive gear, etc. Maybe somebody can flesh him out for us that haven't read the book.

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I thought they did a good job of showing Amma’s patterns for manipulation returning in the St. Louis montage; presumably teaching the neighbor to roller skate, the fancy dresses, working on the dollhouse, perhaps arguing about nail color, the painting the fingernails we come to find out. Camille’s line about the neighbor, maybe she will be a good influence on Amma; that line was probably the one that finally tipped me off oh snap something’s going on here. The writing on her hand; annoying Amma by being a suck up; the picture falling; the dollhouse comforter in the trash.

The question of Adora covering up is the big one for me. I think I have to side with yeah, she knows.

16. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Producers and Adams say there is no Season 2. With such a positive response to the show and now the open ending I think there will be pressure for a return to Wind Gap. Let's hope but I'm pretty satisfied. The last image of Amma in the woods dressed in white will haunt me forever.

17. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Totally unimportant but did anyone see what speakers Alan was listening to? I couldn't see any speakers at all, let alone the brand?

Just curious.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This seemed to get into it some Who Is Camille's Father In Sharp Objects?

19. jon9091

bmoregnr and RK2249 like this.
  20. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

That’s what I’m not sure about. Also, who pulled out the teeth? Teen-age girls wouldn’t seem strong enough.

21. jon9091

I think she knows too. I read an interview with the author that reminded me that Adora was also “seeing to” the two girls who ended up getting killed. I took that as she as treating them as well, as Amma got jealous and killed them. So, she really had to know. She just didn’t really care as long as her own mental illness was fed.

The author said that the girls working together would have been able to do it, although she didn’t want to give to much away that was in the book....but supposedly it goes into more detail.

22. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

One thing that bothers me, would Amma have had the skills to use the teeth to make the floor in the doll-house?

bmoregnr likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sure. over time.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

“Or she, don't be sexist, chief.” I’m half kidding of course given some of the underlying themes of the show; and I know what you meant. It is an interesting question and one I wrestled with a bit, but I think what is unsaid is she and Adora had been working on that dollhouse for years; and while they might have paid outside experts for some of it, I am imagining there is a pretty kick butt workshop with all the tools necessary, along with that old stereo, in an immaculately maintained shed somewhere. I’ve only ever built models as a kid, but you can figure out some pretty creative stuff when you are in the zone.

25. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Another use for the spice/medecine grinder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.