She's So Unusual SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ascot, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

I will probably hold off on getting into SACD for now, but I am really curious how the Cyndi Lauper disc sounds. It's just one of my favorite albums from the 80s so it will probably be one of the first discs I get.

And is there a multi-channel version?

I'm really starting to get the bug with this SACD thing. Dreams of Stones and CCR... <sigh>

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have a lot of SACDs and I have this one, but it doesn't get played much. It's not that it sounds BAD; it's fine, but I have 270 discs that are better.

I do like "Time After Time", and when that song comes on, I pay a bit of attention; and then I tune out. I can't say that this was a favourite album for me before the SACD release - in fact I never owned it. But I loved that one song.

One thing I will say is that it is a little bright. Some have noted here that other SACDs are bright - for example "Thriller". But "Thriller" has a lot of bass energy, and a vibrant mid-range, so the extra sparkle on top is just that in my system. A nice sparkle.

The Cyndi Lauper disc does not have the bass or mid-range to offset the brightness, so it sounds a little thin to me.

Simply my impressions, of course, using a cheap Sony SCD-C333ES.

Regards,
    Geoff

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Geoff. I always thought the original CD version was dull.

So apparently they've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. I saw the notes here that the Bangles disc was bright, too. Sounds like these two have been mastered from tapes taylor-made for FM radio.

Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.