Shipping & Packaging - post photos of how your LPs arrive!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Amazon!!! They got me again! When will I learn? You see in the pic what I saw when I opened the box - no packing materials at all - box way too large for the contents. It sounds like every spindle tooth inside the Hayes SACD is broken loose and rattling around inside the case. As for the Hendrix box, every corner is at least slightly crunched or split and I don't even want to see the (expected) seam splits inside. The thought of these items flying around inside this box while the package handlers toss it to and fro makes me sick. :shake: I will be contacting them as soon as I hit enter on this reply.

Attached Files:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Dang Mayoski...feel bad for you. :sigh:

3. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

My Winterland set came in a similarly sized box, but at least they thought enough to use to use those pillows. The vinyl set itself was pristine, but the shipping box had me worried before I opened it. The cardboard was extremely thin, offering no support at all, so all of the packing tape was ripping.

I got extremely lucky this time around.

4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Ugh, sorry to see that, mayoski. :(

I debated about ordering the Winterland box from Amazon, but I was worried something like that would happen. I have the SMiLE box on pre-order for November, and I'm nervous.

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Ouch I can feel your pain.

6. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Still waiting to hear from Amazon. Their responses to this type of situation seem to vary like their packaging... :confused:

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Hayes Movement SACD still available. Interesting. Need to get that one. How is it?

8. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Have not opened it yet. Waiting to hear from Amazon. I will let you know when I do. Maybe somebody else here has heard this? :wave:

9. GroovinGarrett

Received today, two LP's wrapped in a sheet of bubble wrap and kraft paper. That's it. No box, no cardboard, not even any inner sleeves. And very over-graded.

Response from seller: "No returns. how am I supposed to ship them? A box? And don't tell me how to grade records."

Buyer protection. Might me my last eBay record purchase.

10. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

What?! Unbelievable.

11. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

My Hendrix box arrived from Amazon in the same sized box (in photo above) but had plenty of pillows to soften the ride so everything looks fine (I'll know for sure when I open the set). I haven't had a problem with Amazon though I'm guessing it can be attributed to - a) Most of the vinyl comes from warehouses in MD and PA so it doesn't have far to travel. It arrives quickly too. I've ordered LPs in the evening and found them on my doorstep the next morning...nice! and b) Pure luck as A'zon hasn't a clue how to pack and ship a record safely.

12. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I also received a large record order from Oldies.com the other day. They did send it in a large, thick RTI box (marked 'FRAGILE PHONO RECORDS') and did use cardboard and paper to fill the space and cushion the LPs. They even wrapped the 45's separately. I'd give them a solid B but would recommend a bit more cushion in the corners. The delivery was via Priority Mail (and free so I was expecting media mail - 5-15 days) so that was a nice surprise. My only scare was that just before the doorbell rang with the box, I heard a very loud and pronounced thud. The postal carrier obviously didn't share my care for the records' condition, nor did he read the box when he dropped it onto the stoop...Bast@#d! No harm thankfully but I did mention it the next time we met at the door.

13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I ordered (from Amazon) the Winterland LP box and "In The West" at the same time, and they came together in a similar box as above, except "In The West was in a regular LP mailer and that, along with the Winterland box were secured to a piece of cardboard by heavy-duty shrink wrap to keep them from moving. No dings at all.

I guess they have no standard in how they package this stuff.

14. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

My Winterland box from Amazon showed up today. It has somehow escaped any major shipping damage. The box could slide back and forth in the shipping box a few inches with air bags only on one side. No seam splits or corner crunches. There are some rub marks on the front of the booklet though.

This is how all the box sets I have gotten from Amazon have been packaged and they usually arrive ok. The two Dylan mono boxes had small corner crunches at the open end.

[​IMG]

15. GroovinGarrett

Here we go again. Two pieces of raggedy old cardboard and some packaging tape. The corner of the LP jacket was sticking out of the "packaging".

RIP Robert Nix, and RIP this "near mint" promo copy of ARS' Champagne Jam. :realmad:

Attached Files:

16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Look at the label it must be Italian.

17. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Oh wait I got another one.

It's not his fault they ignored the three red exclamation points.

18. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

Always fun to bump my packaging thread...any more disasters (or recommendations too!)

19. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

This isn't how something arrived, but about how something has been sent out.
    I had a lot of albums recently sell, 62 of them. I needed to make sure they arrive safely so the albums were kept in the storage box (1) from bags unlimited with bubble wrap and the lid taped down. all albums were removed from their sleeve and all of them were in a bag too.
    then it was placed inide a box (2)with hard foam spacers to prevent the items from shifting, then another box (3) taped up. finally that box was placed in another box (4) with more hard foam spacers and furniture corner spacers to make sure that box didn't move, and then taped up and then wrapped with 3 layers of heavy duty shipping kraft paper.
    its going from WV to CA but I think it should arrive okay. It was shipped USPS parcel with insurance. I think 4 boxes were enough right?

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm a SoundStage convert purely due to their exquisite LP mailer packaging.

21. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Good to see this thread still alive.

22. imarcq

Good to see you're still alive too Darren :) We must be on different threads as haven't spotted you for a while. :wave:

23. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

:wave: I mainly lurk in the vinyl playing thread now. Still dipping my toes into the murky waters of the rest of the forum though. :D

24. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

My wonderful postal carrier left my packages sitting in a puddle on my front porch during a downpour this afternoon.

Thank god, Amoeba wraps and seals everything in plastic.

25. imarcq

Wet Wet Wet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.