Shogun series coming to FX/Disney +

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Voodoo Child, Nov 2, 2023.

1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

After episode 5, I've come to the conclusion that these Japanese are batsh!t crazy - at least in terms of their blind obedience to customs and authority - which got them in a bit of trouble in the 20th century. Of course the rotting pheasant didn't help. The focus on Toronaga is wise. The anjin's clipped, formal speaking sounds too much like Richard Burton in War of the Worlds. --- Oh, I just read your Richard Burton comment above, @Doc Sarvis - I swear I wasn't stealing it from you!

2. I’ll be curious to see what they do with this. Haven’t watched it yet. Waiting for the entire thing to drop.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Blackthorne needs to be a lot more careful with the words he uses and how they are expressed.

teodoro and MrGrumpy like this.
  4. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

Totally agreed, that's a lot more evident in the book and the first miniseries, since it's more of a fish out of water story from Blackthorne's point of view. It's less obvious in this version, since it's told more from Toronaga's point of view. The scene with the pheasant and the unintended consequences of his statements is directly out of the book...Blackthorne has no concept of the value the Bushido culture puts on obedience to authority.

Deuce66 likes this.
  5. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Watched the series when it was on't telly
    Worth watching. Book even better

I still remember the water seller event and quote it often enough

6. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The massive mini series was condensed
    To a three hour movie for international release

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Haven't missed an episode, it's ABSOLUTELY GREAT!

badfinger54 and Voodoo Child like this.
  8. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

The show just keeps getting better and better. The writing, acting, direction, cinematography and sets/costumes are all top notch, absolutely first rate. Front runner for best show of 2024.

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey Thread Starter

Episode 7 was for me the best one so far.
    You could cut the tension with a Katana!
    Absolutely superb.

PH416156 likes this.
  10. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Some good reviews for this within Japan too. There are some nitpickers, but that is to be expected.
    It's only available here on Disney plus though.

PH416156 likes this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

What are the nitpickers saying? It would be interesting to know. This whole site is nitpicker central after all!

Voodoo Child and Amnion like this.
  12. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

"Nitpicking" is a very dated term. I'll provide details later on it's genesis, meaning, etc. I'm busy now, educating others and correcting things on the Internet.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  13. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Well as far as this being based on the book is total BS. This it Shogun in name only. Read the book and you might not enjoy it you could even learn something.

14. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

If you're sayng that the new miniseries isn't following the book, how so? Just curious.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'd say it's worth subscribing for a month to D+ just for this show.

I would have purchased the Blu Ray, I stream only if there's not a better option.

Voodoo Child and ganma like this.
  16. ganma

ganma Senior Member

There was an article I read in the Japanese news a few days ago where a historian was explaining how he was unhappy with various aspects of the show. Moat notability he thought the brutal representation of the Japanese Samurai drawing their swords at the slightest provocation and abusing their foreign guests in a vile manner was completely at odds with historical data. The real Blackthorne, William Adams, was treated very well. Swords were more symbolic than anything for the Samurai, so drawing them would have been unusual outside a formal context.
    This representation is more based on Clavell's experience during WW2 interacting with Japanese in a totally different time period.
    The historian was also nitpicking about some very minor elements like the Castle Walls and the use of the word Shogun.
    In any case, there was pushback on this article in the comments below, saying that Japanese "historical dramas", a genre of there own here, are hardly 100% historically accurate either and that it was perfectly valid for its entertainment value.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  17. Ryan Strasil

Ryan Strasil Well-Known Member

Loved the book and loving the show so far as well.

Deuce66 and Voodoo Child like this.
  18. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey Thread Starter

Wow! When you think this show couldn't get any better it delivers yet another great episode (8).

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

This show has been amazing so far, so well done. I need to get a better grasp of various backstories though

Deuce66 and Voodoo Child like this.