Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, May 12, 2020.

1. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

I have nothing to lose by trying this and now I'm curious.

So balanced cables between SLP-05 XLR outputs with female XLR to male RCA on the amp end.

Just need to find out if the Cary is happy with standard adaptor practice of pin 1&3 merged at the RCA sheild or if they suggest using transformer coupled adaptors.

Cheers,
    Robert

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

good point. i am considering this for a single ended amp.

3. WildPhydeaux

Yes, I recall the XA25 is single ended only... :cool:

Cheers,
    Robert

avanti1960 likes this.
  4. WildPhydeaux

Sorry to those who frequent the thread for 6SN7 information - I've been polluting the thread with specific preamp details that is way off topic.

For anyone interested in that preamp, I'll continue discussing at a thread dedicated specifically to it here:

6SN7 for SLP 05 Pre amp - part two

Cheers,
    Robert

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wil give my opinions on various 6f8g tubes that I have, that is, National Union, RCA, Tungsol, Sylvania, Raytheon, Zenith in due course.

Since I had been to Korea to attend my son's wedding, I need more time .

So far, my impression is that they tend to give fuller sound than regular 6sn7 tubes.

But you need adapter to use 6f8g tubes.

mreeter, WildPhydeaux and avanti1960 like this.
  6. avanti1960

welcome back !

thomaskong likes this.
  7. WildPhydeaux

The return of Kong!

Looking forward to your input again...

Cheers,
    Robert

8. thomaskong

I switched from Melz 1578 to RCA vt231 in Line Magnetic 508 for fresh air.

Wow, there is more air floating around Altec A7.

The strength of Melz 1578 is deep and impactful bass, wide and deep soundstage with pure but slightly less treble.

While my Chord Dave Dac sent to AS center for repair, I had been using EMMLab Dac2 which give more organic and impactful sound than Dave.

Dave and Mscaler combo give more details and pinpoint imaging in 3d space.

With Dave and Mscaler and Lansche 4.1, I prefer Melz 1578 to other 6sn7 tubes made in USA.

But with EmmLab Dac2 and Altec A7, I prefer RCA vt231 to Melz 1578.

I may switch back to TS bgrp 2 weeks later.

Although I have 3 pairs of RCA vt231, I have only one pair of TS bgrp which is damm expensive for small input tube.

It is kind of mix and match.

There are no best tubes for everyone.

Vintage audio tubes are like vintage wines.

As some people collect lot of varius wines, I collect vintage tubes.

You may choose a tube depending on system and your mood.;)

9. avanti1960

The Sylvania 6Sn7GTA 1950's shorts have been keeping me happy.

thomaskong and WildPhydeaux like this.
  10. thomaskong

I also have Sylvania 6sn7gta which is pretty good.

But Sylvania 6f8g or RCA vt231 are worth trying.:)

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Sylvania 6SN7GTA guarantees pre 1955 build. Later years Sylvania 6sN7GTB do not sound as good. I think all Sylvania 6SN7GTA are the 'Y' plate configuration. I never like the Sylvania 'T' plate sound- too much distortion.

12. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Perhaps bad tubes or setup? I used to have 4 pairs of SYL VT-231 / 6SN7GT (T-plates) and have never experienced distortion. Just sold 3 beautiful pairs recently, they are in mint condition (all above 100% emission) with running month from Jan - Mar 1944, 1 pair from each month.

thomaskong and Lowrider75 like this.
  13. thomaskong

Sylvania vt 231 must be made in 40's. They are very nice tubes with excellent details and transparency.

The only downside is slight lack of deep impact compared with Melz 1578.

I also keep 4 pairs of Sylvania vt 231, but no plan to sell them in the near future.;)

tlowe likes this.
  14. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Yes, Sylvania VT-231 only made in the 40's. Transparent, excellent imaging, low-noise tube. Next generation was 6SN7GT bottom getter from late 40's to mid 50's. 2 hole and 3 hole plate versions. Also low-noise tubes.
    I own 2 pairs VT-231's, a 3 hole GT (excellent, same tooling as VT-231), and mid-50's 2 hole staggered plates (not in the same league).

tlowe and thomaskong like this.
  15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

As a months-long tubes newbie, it still blows my mind that I have >75 year old glass tubes (the Sylvania VT-231s) contributing significantly to the sonic character of my Aria Audio power amplifiers that I'm enjoying today. Kinda terrifying that they're a finite and depleting resource with no clear modern equal to switch to, should supply run out or become so scarce that cost becomes prohibitive. Nobody told me going tubes would generate such anxiety! Or maybe I just need to :chill: .

btstu, mreeter, WildPhydeaux and 2 others like this.
  16. WildPhydeaux

I agree with much of your past assessments of various 6SN7 tube flavours and this regarding the Sylvania VT-231 is also my experience. I found the Sylvania 6SN7W to essentially be a VT-231 plus the missing bass and impact. In many ways it is very much like the Melz 1538, yet there is just something about the Melz that I can't quite define. Maybe it's "air", yet they both have a wonderful 3D presence, so not sure.

What I AM sure of is that both are going for silly prices, IF you can even find them, particularly the Melz. Lots of listings on flea-Bay say "1538" but not a single one is. I've got two but have given up finding more.

Enjoying "common" Sylvania 6SN7GTA chrome tops the past several weeks. Relatively easy to find, affordable and strangely underrated for some reason. Honestly, they are 90+% of the "better" ones at bargain prices, relatively speaking.

Cheers,
    Robert

17. thomaskong

You may try out Sylvania, RCA 6f8g tubes with adapter.

They are available around 100$ per pair with full bodied sound, while Raytheon 6f8g give slightly more crisp sound.

WildPhydeaux likes this.
  18. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

My apology, I am here to make you guys' hands itchy...:biglaugh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both in mint and unused condition. These will be in my collection for a very long time.

Beside 6SN7, these are the alternate tubes you may try with adapter:
    - Raytheon JRP-5687WA (orange print)
    - Amperex 7119 / Mullard E182CC (Holland made)
    - Raytheon 6CG7 (blk long flat plate)
    - RCA 6CG7 (chrome top or clear top - blk or grey long flat plate)
    - Toshiba 6CG7 (blk or grey long flat plate)
    - Hitachi 6CG7 (blk or grey long flat plate)
    *** For 6CG7, not to be confused with grey short box plate (6FQ7), these are generally made in Japan later in the years, which sound a bit dry.
    *** Not sure about SYL 6CG7 (long box plate) but avoid GE 6CG7/6FQ7 at all cost. GE tubes are easily recognized by their huge etched on glass tube designation.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    thomaskong and WildPhydeaux like this.
  19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I had about 100 Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. Most were the Y plate so no chance of a bad tube. Try the Sylvania Y plate and get back with me.

20. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

First, you are talking about T-plate and now, angled T-plate or Y-plate as you called it....go figure.
    Yes, I have tried SYL VT-231, SYL 6SN7 GTA, SYL 6SN7 GTB, SYL 6SN7W, SYL 6SN7 WGT, SYL 6SN7 WGTA and have never encountered distortion, nor do many users. Everybody is happy with SYL T-plate except you...hmmm
    Perhaps, we all have problem with our systems...:biglaugh:

thomaskong likes this.
  21. WildPhydeaux

Easy guys, this thread is fun and so far mostly non-confrontational (refreshingly so). I doubt @allied333 has an issue with his system he's unaware of. If he's tried numerous Syl Y plate and no-go, then I'm sure he knows what he's hearing. Perhaps there is some odd synergy or something.

I've used what I believe to be the same Y plate tubes and, while I didn't think they were as nice as the T plate, they didn't sound particularly bad. But my system may be more forgiving than some as I've never, in the 60+ vintage tubes I've tried, have I encountered microphone, when others complain about it quite regularly. That said, I can understand how otherwise nice systems could be fussy. Or they could well be presenting more plate voltage as part of their design and that may not always agree with some tubes well. Or any number of design variations.

Lets keep it friendly and informative even if someone else's results vary from our own.

Cheers,
    Robert

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    dcarwin, tlowe and thomaskong like this.
  22. WildPhydeaux

Damn, dude - you're killing me...

Actually I'm still annoyed you threw away some 1578 because they were noisy a while back... I have a fix for that!

Cheers,
    Robert

tlowe and thomaskong like this.
  23. WildPhydeaux

Re: 1538

I'm sure you guys know I meant 1578 a couple posts back, not 1538 - I didn't "discover" a new variant...

Cheers,
    Robert

tlowe and Lowrider75 like this.
  24. Lowrider75

Y-plates are aka triangular plates, yes?
    I know the plates are at an angle to each other. I'll look to see if I have any.

25. Lowrider75

I have two pairs of GTAs, one has T plates, the other has Y-plates. I've used both, but never compared them. Never noticed any noise or distortion.