Shopping for LPs and CDs in Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by vconsumer, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s Thread Starter

I was in Atlanta for a few days last week. I made the mistake of stopping by Earwax Records. Not my cup of tea. I'll be going back soon and I'm looking for recommendations on good places in the Atlanta area to shop for music.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Eat More Records at the intersection of Sugarloaf Parkway and Five Forks Trickum Road in Lawrenceville is where I do most of my LP shopping. They have a great selection, everything's in top condition, and there's new stuff all the time.

For something less suburban, there's Fantasyland on Peachtree Road in Buckhead. I haven't been there in years, though, so I don't know how it measures up.

3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Choices are pretty slim here, unfortunately. There's only 2 stores here I will recommend, both in the Little 5 points area. For vinyl, check out Wax-N-Facts - they have a great selection, reasonable prices, and all of it is alphabetized! Just a few steps away is Criminal Records, a great place for new CDs (and a little selection of used stuff) of indie rock. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It's a bit tough to shop due to most of the CDs being merchandised spine-out behind glass cases, but they do have a great selection.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Wuxtry Records ... in, um, Decatur? (Sorry I grew up in Marietta just north of Atlanta, but moved away about six years ago and I'm losing track of where everything is there. Look up Wuxtry in the Atlanta phone book for the address.) They have LPs and CDs, with an "indie rock" and "punk/post punk" leaning last time I was there.

Craig(VC).

5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Wuxtry is at N. Decatur Rd. & Clairmont, near Emory University. Criminal Records in Little 5 Points recently began stocking a small selection of mostly new vinyl. The Tower store in Buckhead (Piedmont at Peachtree) has a fairly decent selection of new vinyl releases.

6. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I like the jazz selection at Wuxtry pretty well. Fantasyland on Peachtree in Garden Hills is a nice used record store.

Unfortunately I do most of my music shopping online - Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds & Elusive Disc. I think I have every SACD available locally that I want and it isn't easy finding new jazz vinyl.

I used to shop at Eat More Records 20 years ago! It sound like I need to check them out again.

7. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

Try Ella Garu near the intersection of North Druid Hills Rd and Claremont Rd in the Toco Hill Shopping Center.

8. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

I second on both Criminal Records and Wax'n'Facts. Both have their strengths. Since I'm more of a cd buyer, I frequent Criminal more. Besides indie releases, it's also worth noting that they carry lots of imports that you could only obtain online--Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles series, just to provide one example.

Though they stand on platforms some two feet higher than you (seems to the be defining characteristic of independent stores, eh?), the staff are generally helpful.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Try the Tower Records in Buckhead for CDs and SACDs. I find some cool stuff there but selection has been a bit slim lately in SACD, mostly since I have so many.

Borders in Buckhead also has some decent stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.