Should I be offended? (Amp repairs) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Have we decided if the OP should be offended yet or not?

Micke Lindahl and timind like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I recommend getting a Bryston, and a nicely built 25 year warranty and superb support.

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, maybe I’m not appreciating how the forum might look if there was no expectation of clear thread titles. It seems to me those threads would quickly sink and not get in anyone’s way if people just didn’t participate, but maybe I’m not giving the policy and the fellow member enforcement enough credit. In the case of the post in this thread, the tone was one of irritation, which is what has made me think some members are too touchy about something that they could just ignore.

I will clarify I don’t consider editing a thread title to be heavy-handed moderation, I just have thought some post/thread deletions have been heavy-handed. I think ideas should live or die by their own merits, but I accept this is not my site and the SHF moderators have their orders and reasons. It’s all good, it just looks uptight and controlling to me at times.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think we might have concensus on not offended, but irritated?

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Do they make tube amps now?

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think so. Just imagine a hole screen's worth of clickbait vague titles. Hence the rule. I've seen thread titles like "Help!" or "What do you think?". Entire pages of that would get old real quick. There'd be no way to know what the actual topic is until it is clicked on and read which would get tedious immediately.

Everyone's different. What you may think is an annoyance might get a mere shoulder shrug from me and vice-versa. The problem is most people can't see the other side as the only set of eyes they have is their own so they find their grievances to be of importance but see others' as being puzzling and nothing to be irritated about. It's human nature. :)

I've been a mod and it can be a deceivingly time-consuming process. Lots of stuff you're unaware of occurs behind the scenes. Disputes between members the mods have to deal with, warnings, bans, pleads to be reinstated, deleting posts/threads with explanations, etc. On a msg board with a few *hundred* members, it was quite time-consuming for me to deal with it so I can only image a forum of this scope with over 83K registered members. Even if we half it as not everyone is active, that's still over 40K members to moderate.

On top of this, mods do not get paid, have jobs, families, hobbies, and still volunteer their time to perform a huge list of thankless jobs. They need to express themselves with a laid-back approach at all times and can occasionally take abuse from the more intense members via PM. So, yes, by itself, editing a thread title here and there isn't a big deal, but when you pile it onto everything else I mentioned, it's just another one of those "do we really need this right now?" tasks. If it can be avoided by reminding members on a regular basis to respect the rules, it dramatically decreases the chances of piling onto the amount of work mods have to perform and I'm sure they appreciate it when members respect such easy rules as "don't be cryptic with your thread titles".

7. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

So I've now read all 10 pages of this thread.. there are a few things that stand out. First, it sucks to pay big dollars for something that doesn't work. Second, the OP needs to out his "dealer/retailer", because that is who failed him. The dealer should have been all over this issue. Third, where's the video?

8. Strat-Mangler

Why? The issue started happening months after purchase.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I usually take broken stuff, and stuff needing service back the dealer to handle the shipping at the least. If the cost is mine to bear, they include it in the bill for service. Is that not common practice for "luxury goods?" Now, I have purchased things at places like Best Buy where I learned upon opening the package that the manufacturer requires the consumer to deal with them directly on warranty claims. That's for things like clock radios or keyboards. But with things like wristwatches and audio gear, I've always worked with the dealer. A fella needs a good dealer. Makes life smooth.

Christophe999s and Slimwhit33 like this.
  10. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Still unable to substantiate your own statements, I guess you “standing by them” is the best we can expect.

FWIW, FIFY is fairly common forum practice.

11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Except you didn't 'fix' anything. You distorted my statement to suit your flawed position. At least I have both legs to stand on.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  12. Phil Thien

You say “distorted,” I say “distilled.”

You made a pretty bold statement that Rogue’s policies were typical of the industry, and then refused to substantiate that statement by naming names.

I haven’t found any. Nobody else has posted any.

Maybe you should let it go.

13. Strat-Mangler

Think you should both let it go.

14. Slimwhit33

Denon makes pretty clear that they pay one way shipping ONLY WHILE UNDER WARRANTY.

How to Obtain Warranty Performance If your unit ever needs service, it may be taken or shipped to any authorized DENON service station or DENON ELECTRONICS (if you are uncertain as to whether a service station is DENON authorized, please visit our website at http://usa.denon.com/us/Support/Pages/ServiceCenterSearch.aspx or contact DENON as listed below.) In all other cases, the following procedures apply whenever your unit must be transported for warranty service; a. You are responsible for transporting your unit or arranging for its transportation. b. If shipment of your unit is required; You must pay the initial shipping charges, but we will pay the return shipping charges if the repairs are covered by the Warranty. c. WHEN RETURNING YOUR UNIT FOR WARRANTY SERVICE, A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL SALES SLIP MUST BE ATTACHED. d. You should include the following: your name, address, daytime telephone number, model and serial number of the product and a description of the problem.

SandAndGlass, Ripblade and JNTEX like this.
  15. Slimwhit33

So does Yamaha... out of warranty, you pay both ways.

Coverage: YAMAHA will, at its option, repair or replace the product covered by this warranty if it becomes defective, malfunctions or otherwise fails to conform with this warranty under normal use and service during the term of this warranty, without charge for labor or materials. Repairs may be performed using new or refurbished parts that meet or exceed YAMAHA specifications for new parts. If YAMAHA elects to replace the product, the replacement may be a reconditioned unit. You will be responsible for any installation or removal charges and for any initial shipping charges if the product(s) must be shipped for warranty service. However, YAMAHA will pay the return shipping charges to any destination within the USA if the repairs are covered by the warranty.

SandAndGlass, Ripblade and JNTEX like this.
  16. Slimwhit33

So does NAD... huh, I'm seeing a pattern here...

What the warranty covers:

All labor and material expenses for covered items, but you must pay any shipping charges if it is necessary to return the product to NAD or to an authorized NAD dealer or distributor. If the repairs are covered under the terms of the limited warranty, NAD or the authorized dealer/distributor will pay the return shipping charges.

17. Strat-Mangler

Don't think we need big many posts to prove it. A link to the page would be enough for anyone with enough time to waste to read all of this. I'll believe you on your say-so. :)

18. Slimwhit33

How many do we need to show before the peanut gallery realizes this is standard?

19. Slimwhit33

Marantz anyone?

How you can get service

• If your unit needs service, contact Marantz customer service by calling 201-762-6666. We will advise you of the name and location of one or more authorized Marantz service stations from which service can be obtained. Please do not return your unit to the factory without prior authorization.
    • You must pay any shipping charges if it is necessary to ship the product for service. However, if the necessary repairs are covered under warranty, we will pay the return shipping charges to any destination within the United States, its possessions or territories.

SandAndGlass and Ripblade like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Standard means it's largely adopted and usually the default stance. 3 is a small sample size.

I don't believe a majority was debating this point. Nevertheless, it's nice when a company does what it can to make a customer happy which doesn't seem to be the case with RA in this instance where every chance they theoretically could go the extra mile, they shy from doing it.

The biggest step they've taken was to waive a bench fee.

Honestly. Please stop. No one's interested in seeing an endless stream of posts by you relating every term of warranties of any manufacturer you can think of.

Phil Thien likes this.
  21. Slimwhit33

Arcam? Yup.. same thing..

During the Warranty Period, Harman will at its sole option and expense, repair or replace any product found to be defective. In the event that the Product is no longer available and cannot be repaired effectively, Harman, at its sole option, may replace it with a reasonable equivalent, or refund the original purchase price paid. Harman will cover reasonable return shipping charges within the United States and its territories, only if the Product is found to be defective under this Limited Warranty.

22. Phil Thien

Keep in mind, the issue was brought to the attention of Rogue while the unit still had that new amplifier smell (under warranty).

2nd, Rogue charges return shipping IN and OUT of warranty. Something I've never heard of, until this thread. Glad to learn of it, too, as I'll be on-guard going forward (not just hi-fi).

3rd, poster in #219 above indicates Yamaha repaired his optical drive out of warranty and covered return shipping. I've had Sony do the same thing. So there is that.

23. Slimwhit33

Wow.. McIntosh charges the client shipping both ways no matter what.. interesting.

What the Owner must Pay For As noted above, the owner must pay any expense of removing the Product from its installation, and must pay any expenses for delivery of the Product to McIntosh or the Authorized McIntosh Service Agency. Upon return of the Product to the owner following repair, it shall be the owner’s responsibility to pay for the shipping charges incurred in return of the Product, as well as to arrange and pay for any re-installation which may be required. In addition, it shall be the owner’s obligation to pay for any repairs made to any Product for which the owner has neither completed and submitted the Warranty Registration Card at the time of purchase nor included the original sales receipt with the Product when delivered for service, at McIntosh’s or its Authorized Service Agency’s then-current repair rates.

24. Slimwhit33

You're changing the goal posts Phil. Just take the L.

25. Phil Thien

So you didn't read much before posting.

If you had, you'd have known I was merely repeating what has already been said, nobody was "changing the goal posts."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.