Should I be offended? (Amp repairs) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

A poll would have been more enjoyable AND interesting.

2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

IMO, it's not mature.

Ripblade and Slimwhit33 like this.
  3. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I read the whole thing. Let me direct quote you, I won't even edit your post..

"You made a pretty bold statement that Rogue’s policies were typical of the industry, and then refused to substantiate that statement by naming names.

I haven’t found any. Nobody else has posted any."

You were wrong Phil. The examples I posted are the only ones I looked up, I could keep going. The warranty language is standard. It is "boilerplate" as stated earlier and you mistakenly said was incorrect.

"I did some warranty spot checking in the $3k integrated amplifier universe."

Please let us know who you looked at other than PrimaLuna, whose warranty info you distorted by not mentioning that they only pay for return shipping on warranty repairs.

Ripblade likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

For the record, I honestly thought he had quite a bit of experience in this regard and was going to school me by naming several manufacturers.

Instead I got a snarky response.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

SirMarc and macster like this.
  5. Slimwhit33

Aside from the silliness around the title and the misinformation being thrown around, this turned into a very useful thread I think. I admittedly don't spend a lot of time thinking about warranty details, but I'll take a closer look going forward for certain, even though the language is for the most part standard.

To the OP, I hope when you get the unit back it has no more hum and you get years of enjoyment out of it. I don't agree with how Rogue handled your situation, and I believe even more that your dealer let you down. You should name them so no-one else buys from them.

6. Phil Thien

Hopefully for the last time: Rogue charges for return shipping IN and OUT of warranty. I'm not sure if your failure to grasp that is intentional or what, but you've failed to name one other company that charges return shipping for in-warranty work.

What you have done is name companies that have a policy of charging return shipping for work beyond the warranty, but there are examples in this very thread of at least one of the companies you named waving that policy.

Rogue's policy of charging return shipping for in-warranty work is atypical.

I could care less about shipping for out-of-warranty work, Rogue appears to have agreed to approach this problem as if it was in-warranty, as it was an intermittent problem first brought to their attention when the amplifier was essentially new.

7. Slimwhit33

See post 248 Phil. Once again, you're wrong. Sorry, facts matter.

8. Phil Thien

I'm surprised nobody mentioned McIntosh when I asked literally DAYS ago, I mean you did just post that minutes ago and it was lost among all your non-applicable posts.

BUT, iIt is a very notable exception and I do stand corrected.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, but they'll give you better warranty and customer service than anybody in the audio field. Be nice if someone did make tube amplifiers with that kind of warranty and support. However, Bob Carver's tube amplifiers would be up there.

10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Does Bob Carver pays for shipping both ways? )) I actually looked very hard at his amps, but still decided to go with solid state Pass Labs...

11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yikes. This thread has gotten out of control. Mostly thanks to Forum newbies, it seems.
    1. Yeah, my thread title was cheesy, but it honestly was not for clickbait reasons. I just couldn’t think of a sufficient way to post a title that covered all the issues.

2. People have started to bring the retailer up but I believe at some point I stated that the manufacturer specifically told me that the retailer could not help me with this issue. Could the retailer have intervened and helped with shipping costs? That’s possible and I regret that I did not go that avenue.

3. Would I have purchased this amp knowing their shipping protocol and customer service demeanor? Absolutely not.

4. If I get my amp back and the static is still present, then yes, I will probably get involved in a more legal aspect of how this company approaches their business model. The issue was documented, recorded, troubleshot ad nauseam. If I pay $200 (on top of the money that I spent for the amp) for shipping, and the issue still persists, after the manufacturer basically told me that I was imagining it, there is no way that I’ll sit down and accept this.

timind likes this.
  12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just checked. They do not pay for shipping to them, even in first 30 days. But they pay for shipping back.
    10 years warranty however is very nice (90 days on tubes, but it is also normal).

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

All of us accept that sometimes editing of posts or the deletion of posts sometimes are heavy handed.

Many of us have had our posts deleted at one time or another.

I have had my posts deleted before. I don't take it personally. I just say "oh well" and continue with what I was doing.

None of this is any big deal.

Manimal, timind and Big Blue like this.
  14. Phil Thien

That is a real shame they waved you away from the dealer.

In the past I've had dealers perform bench testing, handle the packing and shipping, and even provide loaners while my gear was being serviced (although I will confess the loaner thing often seemed like a thinly veiled and yet fairly successful sales tactic), etc.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Me too, mostly because I know why without asking. I don't trouble myself about whether the "other guy" also got yanked. Not my place.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Yes. For everything, at all times.

timind and JNTEX like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Also, sometimes there the primary issue is between one or two member's and then the other threads, which are not afoul of forum policy are connected to these other posts. the Gort's will go through and remove everything, because if the left these other threads in place, then they would, by their content, referencings things which are no longer in the thread, and would therefore not make sense to someone who might be reading them.

Other times, an entire thread will get removed and the matter is addressed that way.

Most frustrating to me, is when I feel that I have a god post to contribute to a thread and before I can post it, the thread gets locked. Darn!

18. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

This was purchased from a Rega dealer in NYC, one of two. The dealer said he could save me a couple 0f dollars on shipping but that was it. I don't blame the dealer, he was following instructions.

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Somehow I can picture him as a rant kinda guy:)

JNTEX, Helom and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

"Rant" is an understatement really.

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

***BUMP***

How did things turn out?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry that I missed this and thanks for asking.
    It seems that the “non-existent” issue was solved by the replacement of the volume machinery (pots? knob?). Which again is funny to me because that was one of the main hints of there being an issue. I also remembered hearing static when I’d change the volume, something that slipped my mind for some reason.
    Since it’s return the amp has been working like a charm.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Glad it's been resolved. Hopefully, it won't happen again! Enjoy the amp, sir. :)

I333I likes this.
  24. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Oh but that was a critical oversight, I would have known immediately the issue was the potentiometer as many other technically minded people here. I'm happy they found the problem and your amp works like a charm! :edthumbs:

I333I and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

This is why I love Bob Latino gear - you build it - you can fix it - and there are lots of support folks to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.