Should I be offended? (Amp repairs) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I owned my own PC business (including retail locations) for thirty years.

Over the years, I've returned literally 10k+ items to manufacturers and distributors. Hundreds of companies.

And I have never, ever, even once, been asked to cover return shipping. Not once.

If I was ever asked to cover return shipping, I'd have assumed they were about to go belly-up.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never requested a replacement unit. I just figured it would be good customer service to replace equipment that has had issues almost since purchase. This probably would be less of an issue if the company was local. I guess we live and learn.

vinylsolution likes this.
  3. I333I

Maybe they are? I don’t know. The whole situation has given me an ill feeling. I can just imagine plugging the thing in when I get it and hearing that damn static again. This audiophile crap can get annoying.

Fruff76 likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's B2B. Not applicable in this case.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nothing to do with it. Just a consumer wanting a product working as it should.

fogalu, Uglyversal and I333I like this.
  6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Every time I've had to return a product, I was always sent a label to return the product. And they shipped it back on their dime not mine. But of course it was always under warranty. I remember blowing the ceramic tweeters in both my Canton Vento speakers less than a year after I had them and it was totally my fault. Canton AUDIO still paid for shipping both ways....to Germany and back. The only negative thing about the situation was the return trip back to the states was about a month later, by boat....they where included in the next shipment of Canton speakers to the American distributor, but I didn't pay a dime on something that was totally my fault. I think Rouge AUDIO is full of manure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Slippers-on

Ahhh, bro I know you're hurting now with what's going on in life now....but trust me...things will get better...this too will pass. Hang in there m man.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yeah, that’s funny, but...

The point is, there are other members eyeing the Thread Title “Should I be offended”,
    clicking on it, and perhaps not being interested in the topic.

I’ve read posts by The Host and The Gorts that request for thread titles to be more specific, which makes sense.

If I glanced at several titles on the main page, such as:
    Should I be offended”
    “Should I be angry”
    “Would you enjoy this music”
    “Should I buy this”
    “What do you prefer”

then most of us would be... frustrated...
    ;)

9. Slippers-on

If you get a chance to get your head above water and have a little scratch to spend hunt down used older Marantz Reference amp like a 15S1 or 2....some good interconnect cables like Wireworld Silver Eclipse and a good copper speaker cable to go with your warmer PSB speakers and enjoy. I think you will find that amp has lots of soul.

I333I likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

• OP, make sure you let them know you will be publishing their treat of the customer...; )

Manimal and I333I like this.
  11. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

It shouldn’t be annoying, but it sometimes goes that route. Whether it’s expectations of equipment not being met, or just simply driving yourself crazy over room placement, upgrades, no bass from speakers etc etc. I mean, the whole point of getting into this is to get equipment that sounds better, and is built better than the standard stuff. It’s pretty annoying when it fails those two major points. Anyhow, I use a 30 year old Adcom amp that blows most other new ones I’ve used out of the water. I paid $450 for it. If it craps out, no big deal. It gives me no stress and no expectations.

I333I likes this.
  12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Don't get a divorce lawyer - do mediation. I'm going through the same thing.

If you don't - the only people who win are the divorce lawyers - and you end up with less. Actually, you'll both lose and the outcome could be a lot worse.

Save the gear and mediate! ;)

Fruff76 likes this.
  13. I333I

I’ve made subtle hints. How would you suggest I go about that without sounding like a total jerk? That’s probably my last option, as far as getting their attention.

lightbulb likes this.
  14. I333I

You’ve already posted twice, saying the same thing, on a thread that you obviously don’t want to be a part of. I get your point. Thanks for the info.

Manimal, lightbulb and Michael like this.
  15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It's like reading the news, they bait you to click and might be a waste of time but you've got the choice to ignore it and move on. Or like the busy, discerning poster with 22k posts you can click and then complain because you wasted your valuable time when you could have waste it somewhere else. Granted, it is not the way to approach things and I don't see why you could be offended, furious yes, but offended?

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they are the total jerks you are not...when all is said and done and they totally refuse to do the right thing just tell them your intentions of letting ppl know what they are all about...regardless, they should have paid shipping BOTH ways or at least the return shipping to you!...terrible treatment...

Manimal likes this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I find that it's best to ask specifically for what you want and not expect an offer of some kind.

BE DIRECT.

If you want or wanted a replacement - ask for one. Don't expect them to read your mind or try to figure it out on their own.

If they refuse, then you go to Plan B.

Strat-Mangler and Uglyversal like this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

In Rogue's defense, they've always been easy to contact and pleasant to speak with. They did offer to send me a shipping label when I complained of a noisy transformer shortly after purchasing the amp.

Now contrast that to Odyssey Audio, who sent me items that were broken on arrival, in addition to having a poor finish and build. I immediately informed him of the issues and all I received in reply was a rant about how he bent over backwards to get them finished and shipped to me (even though they were already a month past the promised delivery date). I told him I wanted to return the items for a refund (exercising his 30-day satisfaction guarantee). He went on a further rant and hung up on me. Two days later, I get an email from him raving about all his costs and how he jumped through hoops for me (though all his hoops were his doing due to poor inventory/supply management). He finally agreed to a refund, minus his credit card processing fees. Now get this, he claims those fees were over 8% of the purchase price! Of course, I knew that was BS, but agreed to it anyhow because I just wanted to be done with him. He receives the items, then takes a week to issue my refund - he refunded less than the agreed amount. I sent him an email and received another rant in reply, along with a threat to recover all his alleged costs (I surmise by a charge to my card without authorization). I tell him I'll press fraud charges, then he claims he's the one with the law on his side - something about having witnesses (to what, idk, maybe his crappy products?). He finally agrees to pay the difference I was shorted. It was probably the worst overall experience I've had as a consumer. I'm not trigger happy when it comes to getting the law involved, but this guy had my finger on it.

Wrong is wrong, I know, but Rogue Audio are saints compared to that guy.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  19. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

Right after I bought it, Rega came out with a newer model, so I felt like they just got rid whatever they had left and I ended up with one. Today, I'm very happy with my Onkyo C-7030 CD player and whenever it goes, I' just buy another cheapie!

20. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I doubt they will pay both ways, it is a rare ordeal now.. But a lot of them paying return shipping for warantee work.
    Disclosure: I own Rogue RP-5, it is may be a bit pricier and just a preamp, but internally it is build really, really well.. My friend, who is an fan of electornics and even had his own company at some point marvel how well it is assembled.
    Too bad they cannot handle situation well. Reputation hit will be way more costly, and could easily be avoided.

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

For the record i have had nothing but good response from Rogue, but i‘ve never had a substantial issue with their gear except a noisy Stealth phono stage i bought off Facebook, and they actually offered to send me a new set of op amps for it.

Other stuff I've owned from Rogue have been perfect, but my dealer would have handled any issues as the did with Audio Research when my original Ref75 had an issue.

22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Nah, in the PC business, there are few protected lines. Most product is purchased through distribution and warranty is handled through a manufacturer. And the manufacturer wants to deal with the owner.

We used Ingram and Tech Data a lot, which means literally tens of thousands of products which we'd often only order one-offs on. So we didn't have a relationship with that manufacturer.

I had a full time person that spent about half her time dealing with manufacturers on this stuff, often representing herself as the owner of the product (with the client's blessing, of course).

If it was new enough to be DOA, it went back to the distributor, but that was typically 30-60 days. Outside of that, we had to deal with the manufacturer just like everyone else.

23. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

About 4-5 years ago i bought a Lampizator DAC from the distributor in NYC. After about a month something was not sounding quite right, so i contacted the distributor and told them my concerns, they sent me a shipping label for me to send it to them. After a day they decided to send it to Poland, after a week the owner of Lampazator said for my troubles he was going to send me a model several models up from mine, a week later i received my new DAC. I now had a DAC that was three times the price of my original DAC that worked perfect and it all happened without one cent from me, just three weeks of time.

The fact that the OP is having such issues is just plain stupid on the manufactures part.

james, slovell, timind and 2 others like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What exactly would be frustrating? Does it really cost you anything, whether you click on the thread or not? This is a weird complaint.

fogalu, Fruff76, RH67 and 1 other person like this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

No, this is not a “complaint”, nor is it a “weird complaint”.

It is a Forum Rule:

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.