Should I be offended? (Amp repairs) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

He already has.

2. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Any major brand is a pain in the butt to try to get serviced ce.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

RH67....long time no see!

I think I told you about my buddy here in St. Louis a few years ago who had the Lampi Golden Gate? He now has the Pacific. But when he had the Golden Gate DAC he had issues with it....sent it off to the the distributor in N.Y. and they couldn't figure it out. They then sent it out to Lukaz the owner of LampizatOr in Poland and he couldn't find a problem with it. So what does Lukaz do? He called my buddy personally, and gave him a date he would come to the States to have a look at the DAC in my friends home. My friend asked Lukas if it was ok to invite a few audiophile friends over and he said yes. A few weeks later Lukaz was at my friends home with about 6 of us listening to tunes and eating pizza with Lukaz. Lukaz makes a few trips a year outside of audio shows to visit guys who have problems with his gear.

Also..about 2 years ago I had a Wireworld Silver Eclipse phono cable that had noise in one side. Sent a email to WW and a day later got a reply that They would call me at a certain time. Got the call and it was the owner. (Now mind you this was an out of warranty product) He asked me, to send him a receipt showing I purchased the cable and if I did that, if he sent me a RMA would I send it to him so his engineers could inspect it and if its faulty if I would like to have a Wireworld Platnium phono cable to replace it. I said yes. He then said to send it in once I get the RMA which he emailed to me and I printed it and sent it off via UPS. Once he got it I received an email saying that in about two weeks after inspection and the manufacturing of the other phono cables they will be sent out to me. After I got them and used them for about a week, I get another email from WW asking me if I liked them and if I would write a review about my experience using them and send it to them, and if they have my permission to use all or parts of my review in some of their ads in the future? I was floored! I use the Wireworld Platnium Eclipse from that point up to today...they are the best phono Cables I've ever used.

These are great examples of companies that have a great product and great customer care....Canton Audio, Wireworld Cables and LampizatOr Electronics.

Manimal, timind and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s the type of forum rule that makes me sometimes feel like people who post on internet forums take themselves too seriously. Should the OP have posted something more descriptive of his problem? Sure. Is it worth making multiple posts in the thread to point out? I guess it is if you take all of this more seriously than I ever intend to.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Your're a funny guy. ; )

OBVIOUSLY! other than Stevehoffman forum...

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

That satisfies the legal definition of "publication."

EDIT: I'd think complaints about audio gear mfrs. are more cogently placed here than on Facebook, etc. Going to reach a much higher number of potential customers.

JNTEX likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

....the more coverage the better for a company like this...

8. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

Slippers-on.... Great seeing you, i was away from the forums for a couple of years. I was doing some R&D work for a distributor and a couple of manufactures of DAC`s and streamers so i did not want to be influenced reading about what was sent to me. It sounded like fun at first but it became more like a job.

I remember that about your friends Lampazator, Lukaz treated me right and so did the US distributor, first class people.

Strat-Mangler and Slippers-on like this.
  9. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

It seems like your dealer should have been your advocate in this case?

Manimal likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Here is part of the email chain I had with Wire World cables. This shows how great a company who stand behind their product will keep a customer for life!

On Sep 18, 2017 1:40 PM, "service" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Byron

Thank you for that information.

I will issue you a “Call Tag” for returning the Silver Eclipse 7 pair w/ground @ 1-meter back to us. Once we have tracking on that cable, we will build and send out our flagship Micro-Platinum line cable 2 RCA to 2 RCA w/ground to you to see if the better metallurgy will eliminate the noise you are receiving.

Please provide me with your “ship to” address so I can generate the “Call Tag” out to you via email.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Keith Rogers | Customer Service Representative

http://www.wireworldcable.com | [email protected]

33na3rd, I333I and RH67 like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're overthinking this. You've kind of done it like a teenage girl. "I made myself look pretty but he never asked me out!" :D

Just some levity. You need to be direct and spell it out. In actuality, you need to first state how you're dissatisfied by being firm, sticking to the facts, and being as concise as possible. Then, you mention exactly what you want.

You're not being a jerk. Merely asking them to live up to their reputation and promise of delivering what you paid for, which is a perfectly working product.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    JNTEX and Helom like this.
  12. Slippers-on

Rouge seems to hit and miss with their product's. I've been hearing about the issues at Rouge for years. Most of the complaints I hear about Rouge is noise problems new out the box. But it's sad they treat the customer like crap. The reputation they carry is a mixed bag. Some guys love them some guys hate them...to buy their product is a huge gamble.

Manimal and RH67 like this.
  13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice email. Quite a difference from what I’m experiencing!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sent an email requesting a replacement amp, or at least a guarantee that I can get a replacement if the problem persists. If that doesn’t work I’ll record the static that I’m hearing and post it here. I was told that it might be environmental interference even though I’ve had the issue in three separate residences. Not cool.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Many, many moons ago I owned Harman Kardon receiver. It was (at the time) one of the first affordable options with DD and DTS 5.1 processing.
    It sounded fine, except .. hum and hiss sometimes.
    It took tons of people to complain and send units back for Harman to asknowledge and (most importantly) understand the problem with power supply, and issue temporary fix (which was pair of simple ferrite noise filter on power cord) and then officialy repair it.
    I remember reading frustrating exchange between users and engineers, where units sent to them never hummed, because they could not emulate interference from some other devices.
    And Rogue is much smaller company, so it is possible they have hard time figuring out why it is quet on their test bench and not on your rack.
    But just because it is not easy they cannot give up ))

Ripblade and Slippers-on like this.
  16. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Years ago I had a JVC QL-Y55F turntable that was hit by a power surge frying the chips and I don't know what else. I sent it to JVC for repairs and, after several months including a trip to the service center in Japan, I got it back. It had been utterly destroyed by UPS. The arm was snapped off, the base was crushed in two places and UPS refused to do anything about it. I called the service manager at JVC in Norcross, GA and he offered without hesitation to handle the situation for me. He upgraded the 55 to a refurbished QL-Y66F with both the straight and S arms along with a new JVC LOMC cartridge and forced UPS to pay for it. He was going to ship it to me for free but I offered to drive down to Norcross and pick it up myself. It's a 165 mile drive one way from where I live so I figured it's a chance for a nice road trip and I'd get the table back safely. I got down there, picked up my replacement table, and was treated to lunch by the service manager along with a tour of the facility. I've never been treated so well by a company before or since. I kept the 66 for 25 years before eventually selling it for a good price and buying my VPI Scout. The 66 had a resonance problem caused by low bass vibration from my sub making it howl like a banshee at medium to louder volume levels. Never could remedy it no matter what I tried. OTOH when this table was designed a subwoofer was indeed a rare thing so I guess that didn't figure into the engineering of the model. The 66 was a thing of beauty to look at and watch it operate and I still appreciate the way I was treated by JVC. Service like that is a rare unheard of occurrence in this day and age.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    struttincool, Slippers-on and Fruff76 like this.
  17. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

This also reveals a lack of skill on the designer's part, not being able to anticipate common problems the component might encounter in the field, as demonstrated by the number of complaints surrounding the same symptoms. It increases one's appreciation of the designers who do know their stuff, like Nelson Pass and John Curl, et al., for whom these kinds of complaints are exceedingly rare to non-existent.

Slippers-on likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's perfect and exactly what needed to be done. My guess is they'll balk at the request seeing as how this amp is out of warranty but I hope they understand this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Let's see if they step up to the plate.

I've dealt with the public in one fashion or another for decades and can tell you a lot of people are quite unreasonable but what you're asking is the most basic of requests ; a perfectly working product which is what you expected when you first bought it.

Keep us posted!

JNTEX and I333I like this.
  19. Slippers-on

I feel ya on what you're saying.

I remember years ago Vincent Audio of which I have an amp and preamp, was exposed as having fake caps in their product's while being reversed engineered by the owner of LampizatOr Audio. That was like about 8 or 10 years ago. Well..... being an owner I emailed Vincent "Sinton Audio" over in Germany many years ago about it. They said the Chinese factory mistakenly purchased the fakes. Who knows if they told the truth, But assured me the fakes had been removed from their supply. But they never had any mechanical failures with their product....Haven't heard of any issues with their product's again. Many stay away from Vincent for that very reason. But they hear about Rogue and the failures they have and continue to buy it.

20. Old Zorki II

It is all about sound, perceived or not. A lot of very high-end tube (and not) components notoriously unreliable.
    If reliability is the main concern I would stay away from botique brands alltogether...

JNTEX, Fruff76 and Slippers-on like this.
  21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Who was the manufacturer

22. Slippers-on

I also remember about 9 years ago Krell Audio had a very bad problem with a new integrated amp that all of a sudden would catch on fire. I actually have a friend who had one that caught on fire. Well Krell being the great company they are issued a recall on all the amps. They repaired my friends amp and he had no other issues with it. Im sure if Rogue has such issues they'd have to do the right thing by the government.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2009/a...-krell-industries-recalled-due-to-fire-hazard

Old Zorki II likes this.
  23. Old Zorki II

I remember the story, but I owned 400xi, and was spared ))).
    BTW when my 400xi caps detoriated and recap was needed Krell asked for shipping both way in addition to repar cost. Fortunately I was living 40 miles from their headquarters in Orange, CT and just brought to them for repairs in my hands )).

But we should agree that fire hazard and slight hiss are little different issues.

JNTEX and Slippers-on like this.
  24. Slippers-on

Yes we can agree on that.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Actually we had something similar years ago when I was a plant manager. People used it for wills, rental lease agreements, look over documents before you sign ( loans, mortgages, etc). I’m not saying it was for everybody, but to the people who had rental properties on the side, etc it came in handy.

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.