Should I go for a refurbished Dual 1229?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jul 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picking the table up in DesMoines is a good idea. Maybe I can save another $100 if he doesn't have to pack it up.

kt66brooklyn and Angry_Panda like this.
  2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

As far as carts go, the AT VM540ML is an excellent match with my Dual. I don't think there is a better cart for the money.

[​IMG]

Radio, timind and rischa like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

comprendez. i respect your discipline, i'm sure the dual will sound nice too, they only sold a bazillion back then....

rischa likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

5. rischa

I can get $55 off without cart. $670 shipped? Well, here are some recent sold listings on ebay that suggest this might be the new normal range for a restored 1229:

Sold 1229 1 $640 shipped

Sold 1229 2 $750 shipped

Sold 1229 3 $486 shipped

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    lazydawg58 and Spin Doctor like this.
  6. rischa

And 3 functioning 1229s come up as sold on Reverb. With shipping, they went for $925, $615, and $300 (this one wasn't in as good condition as the other 2).

lazydawg58 and Spin Doctor like this.
  7. Spin Doctor

It seems they're seeing a resurgence in popularity. I'm here to tell you my Dual is a great turntable. It never makes me feel like it's lacking in anything. The bass is stupendous. And just really sounds great across all frequencies. It plays like a CD Dynamics-wise. Whatever music is on that wax is going to come out, especially when coupled with an AT 540.

I mean I've had it for 20 years, and I'm not really lacking in disposable income, so if I didn't like it, it would have been gone a long time ago. I just never saw a need to get rid of it.

The custom base is pretty sweet too. I don't know that I would change it out. And if you're getting it from Bill, you really just don't have to worry about it anymore. It's just going to run.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

It also comes with a custom solid wood plinth and brand new dust cover, right?

rischa likes this.
  9. rischa

He told me he only sells them with the new base because original bases are poorly constructed. Ok, fine. The new one is pretty.

Sedwards, Spin Doctor and Radio like this.
  10. rischa

Correct.

Radio likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Trust Bill at Fixmydual.com, as I did and I LOVE my Dual 1229 that I got from him. Outside of my favorite Technics DJ turntable 1200 mk2, nothing can touch my fully automatic Dual 1229.

Note for those that recommend the 1229Q version, I asked Bill about that model and he said you don't want that one, stick with the standard 1229 and I did!

12. Spin Doctor

A custom plinth and a new cover makes it totally worth it in my book. Plus it was rebuilt by the best. These things are German engineered, back in the days when they knew how to do engineering. Once you rebuild it, it'll last you the rest of your life. A cover for a VPI will cost you $450 by itself.

LitHum05, timind, lazydawg58 and 2 others like this.
  13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

You might ask Bill about a 1219 if you want to save a few bucks. I love mine.

lazydawg58, Spin Doctor and rischa like this.
  14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I was in the market for a dedicated 78/original mono 'table about 10 years ago and got a refurbished 1229 through Vinyl Nirvana (not one their usual jobs, but they were selling a few Duals at the time). It's not my main rig, but is perfect for my use and sounds great.

lazydawg58 and rischa like this.
  15. audiomaniac

audiomaniac Shamalamadingdong

I bought a 1229 new back in the 70's. I have to say that I loved watching the automatic mechanism work along with the strobe and a platter that was heavy enough to hit somebody over the head with! And that was after my Garrard SL72b. Thorens is nice too, but the 1229 is the epitome of early 70's german tech when it came to automatic turntables IMO. I think you should go for the 1229. You would be getting it ready to enjoy out of the box from a well known expert and if you have any issues, I'm sure Bill will take care of you. After all, that's a "vintage" table but one with a lot of history. You'll love watching it as much as listening to it.:righton:

16. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Have you figured out the cost to drive round trip? It's 300 miles each way. Of course you do alleviate the problem of damage during transport.........

17. LarryRS

LarryRS Forum Resident

I have a 1219 that I bought from Bill. It sounds really, really good and operates perfectly. The plinth is very well made and I can't help but think that its mass and construction help to keep vibrations in check. I don't think you can go wrong with a table from Fix-My-Dual.

18. rischa

Yeah, when I looked up where DesMoines is I abandoned that idea. I though it was a little further East. I've only visited Dubuque in Iowa so not too familiar with the geography.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own 3 Dual turntables from Bill and I highly recommend his turntables. I own a 701, 1229, and 1019. Love them.

timind, rischa and lazydawg58 like this.
  20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I say pull the trigger. Even if you overpay a little you'll get years of enjoyment and not feel the $ pinch but once. If it doesn't keep your kids from going to college and your light don't get turned off why not do something for yourself?

21. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Yeah, sorry for not being a bit more clear that it's a FULL day for the round trip. I'm not sure what shipping works out to, but there might not be much savings there in a larger vehicle. Sorry about that.

rischa likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Love my Dual.....

Spin Doctor, rischa and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bill's reliable, one of the best Dual technicians we have today. Do bear in mind, Duals need periodic maintenance every so often (5 years normal use per manual). Dual from the 1009 to the 1229 were very fine music makers, and still are today.

patient_ot, rischa and ssmith3046 like this.
  24. rischa

Sounds like a good skill to learn myself.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  25. rischa

Pulled the trigger! I decided I better get one now before prices get any higher.

I appreciate everyone weighing in!

LitHum05, Spin Doctor, timind and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.