Should I try to fix this banana plug?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dougotte, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante Thread Starter

A while back, while vacuuming, I managed to snap off one speaker plug. The broken end still resides in the speaker's jack. I've got the rest of the plug just resting in the jack. Unless I knock it out again, it connects and sounds fine.

I could buy a new set of speakers cables, or while I'm working from home, I could play with fixing it. But should I?

I assume I can unscrew the speaker jack and push the broken end out with a toothpick. What then? Would it hold if I soldered the two pieces back together or use Superglue? Or, after pushing out the broken end, maybe I can push the plug more securely into the jack.

Maybe it's best if I just leave it alone. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Easy question...how many banana plugs do you have left...and, start with the part left in the speaker...

rodentdog likes this.
  3. dougotte

I don't have any extras. I bought the cables with the plugs already connected.

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

You can buy banana plugs and attach them to bare wire.

5. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Use a bent piece of stiff wire (steel) to fish out the broken piece and replace the broken banana plug. If this is a tube amp your looking for trouble.

BillWojo

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

A coat hanger would work well to fish out the stub inside the speaker. I would contact the cable manufacturer for a replacement end termination. It appears to screw on. Don't try to solder it back together. Electrical solder isn't an adhesive joint. It's a conductive joint. You would need to braze the parts together. While the brazing process is similar to soldering, the filler materials is different. Electrical soldering tends to use softer materials. An example of brazing with copper pipes. Plumbers braze pipes together.

7. dougotte

Thanks for your input, everyone. I really appreciate it.

It's a SS amp (Parasound A23+) with good protection. In fact, the warning light came on once (before I broke this cable) when one speaker wasn't connected properly. The amp never failed, and I easily fixed this problem.

I broke this cable around 3 months ago, and have had no problems since then.

The plugs are soldered. I called AudioAdvisor. They will replace the plug if I send it back. They give a lifetime warranty, so I'd only be out the small shipping fee and be without one speaker for that time.

Considering the fact that I haven't had any problems, and don't want to do my own soldering, and don't want to send it back, I'll live with it. Thanks again.

8. dougotte

Thank you for restraint in not responding with obvious and accurate comments, such as "you're so lazy", "you're an idiot", etc. I found my previous speaker cables, so why not use them and let Audio Advisor fix the plug for free? I'm going to do it as soon as Amazon delivers my ink cartridge so I can print the RMA form and mailing label.

gregorya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.