Should I use these improperly-packed-by-Amazon tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by signothetimes53, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member Thread Starter

I purchased 2 Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 tubes from Amazon, for use in my new Monolith Cavalli Liquid Platinum headphone amp.

Amazon used zero padding inside the 8"x12" cardboard box, literally these 2 tubes were rattling around with just their own cardboard boxes to protect them. They don't appear to be damaged, fortunately, but I still wonder if I should use these or not.

Advice?

2. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Personally I would take photos of the packaging and contact Amazon for a return.

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Likely no issues with loose tubes in boxes. The elements are so light inside that even abrupt slamming into the side of the box will not cause damage. Of course a tube tester would reveal any issues.

A preamp tube has current limiting resistors in the circuit thus a shorted tube will not damage your amplifier. A power tube is a different story and can damage a part in an amplifier.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Amazon has a very generous return policy. This is especially true if packaging is an issue. Use them. If there is a problem return them. You can request a replacement. Keep them until the replacements arrive. You could even do an A/B comparison then return the ones you like better.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  5. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Sorry to hear about that. Probably no big deal. I just picked up a pair of them via E-Bay and they are burning-in in my LP as I write this. Tubes I have bought direct from vendors have always been packed pretty well. The boxes do get bounced around en route.

But if in doubt, send them back.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Return them. Even if they function ok for now, they may have been compromised in some way that will creep up after the return window has closed. Why take that chance? Next time order directly from a well-reputed tube vendor.

7. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

i bought a large hardcover textbook from amazon, and they kept sending it in an oversized box with zero padding. Twice it came with the corners all dented and the sheer weight of the book folded the cover in half. I complained and took photos, finally the third time it came the condition was acceptable, but it still wasn't in a properly sized box and had no padding. i guess documenting and taking photos does nothing to tell the packing robot to do a better job. At least they ended up giving me %30 off. We order a lot of stuff from amazon, but seems like everything is automated with no care. Heck, we just got a little cup holder for our son and it came used with some half eaten grapes. Long winded story just to say i'd return it.

8. Get in touch with the return department.
    Take quality photos from many angles to document the as shipped condition.
    Very often, if the item being returned is not terribly expensive, you will simply receive a new thing while they let you keep the old due to the expense of shipping and handling costs.

From your perspective you are now suspect of the tubes. This may not reveal itself until it is too late and then you ARE stuck with damaged tubes.
    If you have a tube tested test the tubes to verify the condition, otherwise go through the return procedure and get new tubes.

If you can, mark the tubes in a VERY subtle manner. I have had a few too many things sent, damaged in shipping, returned via authorized methods, only to receive the literal exact item I sent back as the replacement.

9. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

Are these the Russian ones?

10. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Why not try them? If they work, keep them. Simple.

11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Buy from a reputable seller. E-bays better than Amazon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.