Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colorized for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Sure. If it can be done well....I say do it.

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think they should take the Help movie and do a Mono fold down to Black And White.

Mike Visco, PDK and Basenote66 like this.
  3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Should the Sistine Chapel be repainted black-and-white?

lemonade kid and Cronverc like this.
  4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Just wait until you see the 3D... ;)

5. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

You guys know that most millennials are now older than the Beatles were in 1964, right? In some cases more than a decade older.

Black & white is a specific stylistic choice in AHDN. As @jjhunsecker said, it's a nod to New Wave. And colorization is a goofy, pointless idea in the first place. Younger people are perfectly capable of watching/enjoying black & white films if they're the sort to care about older movies and music, which many of them are or will be, and many will not.

Cronverc and SG47 like this.
  6. Yeah let''s change everything. Alter all original art to cater for new folks who don't give a crap of history . They should grow a pair and enjoy originality. :tiphat:

lemonade kid and Cronverc like this.
  7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I agree with you. I've been a Beatles nut most of my life, but I've never been able to connect with this or any of their movies.

BadJack likes this.
  8. Yeah its says why bother?! : Let's make Yellow Submarine black and white then.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Anyone seeking to know the meaning of the term "straw man argument" should be directed to this thread, which contains several prime examples. "Let's remake yellow Submarine in black & white", for example.

Yellow Sub was intended to be, and was produced as, a colour film. The title perhaps hints at this. ;) I would no more suggest converting Yellow Sub to monochrome than I would want AHDN converted to colour, and for the same reason. It's messing with the art, making it something that it was not in the first place.

There is a hint of desperation in the trend to remake old movies, whether that consists of colouring a monochrome movie or of shooting the film again with a new set and new actors. It says to me "We can't think of a good idea for a new film; this one made years ago was a big success, so let's put out a new version." It's a tacit admission that it's about money, not art.Of course the movie industry, while it has created great art along the way, has always been motivated by profit, but I can't remember this truth being so blatantly thrust in our faces in the past as it is now in the 21st century.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Or All Things Must Pass. :hide:

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This is true in TV as well. Rebooting an old TV series — particularly one that was highly regarded and successful — with the same actors and creative forces is one thing, but the list of lesser TV programs for which this has been tried and failed is legion. I've thankfully forgotten most of these attempts.

This will be lost on you over in Australia, but I remember it getting to the point a few years ago where I said it's only a matter of time before someone decides to do a new version of "My Mother, the Car."

For the uninitiated, this is widely regarded as one of the worst TV series in history. The premise was that the lead character — portrayed by Dick Van Dyke's brother Jerry — discovers that his mother has been reincarnated (in a manner of speaking), and her voice speaks to him through his car radio.

By the way, substitute "song" for "film" in your penultimate sentence, and you can apply it equally to the number of music artists of the last 25 years or so that have done crappy and totally unnecessary remakes of 60s and 70s classics. It's one thing to do this for fun after you've established a good track record of writing and performing your own stuff, but more than one artist has started right out of the gate with this tactic. My contempt for such artists is boundless.

12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Nopity-nope-nope.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  13. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

If someone can't enjoy a movie because it's black and white, then they weren't going to enjoy it to begin with.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  14. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

I find it unfortunate that they didn't spend the money to make it in color originally.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I haven't seen the "First-through-15th-Chapels" yet!...
    NO SPOILERS!!!

edenofflowers and Evan L like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That was horrible!

17. If they hired the guy who colorized that clip to do it, I'd watch it, just for the novelty. Otherwise, :unhunh:

2141 likes this.
  18. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

"Black and white" is not always a limitation, it's also an aesthetic, and it's particularly important that new generations learn that.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  19. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I think the money would be better spent if they re-made the movie with CGI Beatles. They could have a soundtrack of cover versions recorded by the people who did the Perfect Strangers theme song.

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

LOL

vince likes this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes. It should be colorized for today’s audience..
    And Kid Rock should do all the Beatle songs on it too....

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Another is Yankee Doodle Dandy. Cheer for the white, black and grey?

Just shot one this weekend, and they had a really great Motown cover band called Atlantic Express.

23. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Should the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night send push notifications to kids' phones so they know when a good part is coming up?

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes I do know about that show. I think I may have seen one episode. I'm glad to know the general opinion of it dovetails with mine.

25. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Didn't they around the corner or jump the fence of something? Isn't there an opening in the wall or building, to the left in the pic; they are certainly rounding a corner in a previous clip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.