Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colorized for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I mean, I don’t even particularly want to watch it again, and I definitely don’t want to pay money to do so. It’s good, but I’ve seen it. I’m all set. Coloring it in doesn’t change that for me. Had I not already seen it, sure, I’d possibly watch the colorized version, but no more likely than I’d watch the existing version.

Again, I’m one of the Millennials who would supposedly be drawn to colorized versions of films that already look great in black and white…

Jarleboy and 7solqs4iago like this.
  2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Niche, yes. Getting smaller every year? Hmm... not so sure about that. It's a big world out there, and lots of people who have never even seen this fantastic film! New audience could be sizable; certainly enough to justify doing it.

bhazen likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I think not.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I haven’t seen the Criterion 4K restoration, but, assuming it’s as stunning as the Criterion 4K restorations I have seen of black and white films, that should serve as definitive for any generation going forward.

dlokazip and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  5. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

No. The German public broadcaster tried that with „Dinner For One“, a famous sketch that is shown on TV every New Year‘s Eve. After one colourized broadcast, they switched back to the black and white one because they were criticized by the audience.

David Austin likes this.
  6. 2141

This is not about replacing the original. The original b/w is great! No, this is just about having another viewing option. Think remixed albums as opposed to the original. The originals have not been replaced, it's just an additional option.

Carlox, Jarleboy and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  7. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

That’s a good point. A colourization would only be ok if the original in black and white is also available.

Carlox, Jarleboy and 2141 like this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure how you think colorizing a film is the same as remixing an album. It’s more like doing a techno “remix” that adds things not present on the recording.

9. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

No, but I hope Criterion releases it on a 4K UHD Blu-ray... along with "HELP!", and "HEAD" by the Monkees

10. 2141

True, it's not a perfect analogy, but the remixes do have some added sonics not present in the originals.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Not present in the original mixes, but present on the original tapes.

12. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

So, if they blackandwhiteised that "Yesterday" movie, do you think I'd enjoy it?

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  13. 2141

No, not present on the original tapes either.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is news to me.

15. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I don't think colourisation would be much of a factor in whether or not a new generation could be encouraged to enjoy A Hard Day's Night. There are many other things about that film that firmly anchor it in a period that is not easily recognisable to younger generations; adding a bit of colour won't change that. I say leave it as it is.

But, I do have two 'howevers': (1) a new generation might seek out the film if they've already experienced the music (no need to colourise it for them); (2) casually interested middle-aged and older generations might be more inclined to see it if colourised - it has always been older people, in my experience, who grumble about film and TV that isn't in colour.

bhazen and Big Blue like this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I can confirm this. It is quite stunning.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

The initial decision to shoot in black and white may have been to save money, but once the decision was made, the director and cinematographer deliberately composed the shots to look their best in black and white. Colorizing it would remove that level of artistic intent for no good reason. Additionally, while The Beatles are generally associated with bright, vivid colors (Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Pepper/MMT and all that), AHDN stands as a beautiful contrast that echoes the artistic sensibility of the With the Beatles cover. There is nothing to gain by colorizing AHDN and so much to lose.

bhazen, Man at C&A and AlienRendel like this.
  18. nytechy

nytechy Forum Resident

Absolutely not.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is kind of the point for me.

I do think there is a tendency to avoid something random when it is in black & white, but once you are actually interested in the subject matter, the fact that it isn't in color won't be a deal breaker.

Conversely, I believe the number of people who would suddenly be interested in the film because it would now be in color is fairly negligible. There would be more people interested just because of the controversy created than anything else.

Whether this is true or not, those of us who did not grow up with The Beatles (Gen X and beyond) tend to act like color film was invented in 1965. This is not television. Color and B&W films coexisted for a few decades before color took over.

As someone pointed out, people will do to it what they do to it and it will be consumed thusly.

Given that Help! exists and is visually appealing, I just don't see the point. If people want to colorize a music film, why not Deep Purple in Copenhagen 1972 or Rush in Passaic, NJ 1976? I think those would be more revelatory.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I will soon be dead - so my opinion doesn't matter.

vince and Liam Brown like this.
  21. 2141

I don't see there's anything to lose. All you're doing is gaining a color option for AHDN. The original B/W is not going anywhere. It will still be there for all to enjoy. Nothing is lost, only another option gained. :agree:

22. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I didn’t say the B/W was going anywhere, but IMO letting audiences experience a needlessly diminished version of this movie does indeed mean something is lost. Still, kudos to you in your Quixotic quest to tilt at this very particular windmill.

2141 likes this.
  23. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:laugh:

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Someone earlier compared it to taking a mono recording and creating phony "reprocessed stereo".

That's the best analogy.

Mixes of songs aren't sacrosanct. I mean, look how many different mixes so many Beatles songs got in the 60s - a lot of times there's no one "true mix".

Movie photography isn't the same. "AHDN" was composed for B&W and that's it.

The remix comparisons just don't work...

dlokazip and Big Blue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.