Should the Guess Who be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keifspoon, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Looks like this thread been resurrected
    The Guess Who are not on the Rock HOF radar...
    Way too many other more deserving acts waiting.
    (Just look at the nominees this year for an idea of what the HOF is looking for and at)
    And as I state on all HOF threads.
    Only 5 performing acts are inducted a year.
    So the criteria is tough, and the window of opportunity for acts, especially 60s era acts, is narrowing each year

2. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Had a #1 hit, 6 Top 10 hits, and 19 songs which charted and ther are not known outside their own backyard? Can I have some of what your smoking?

3. Why?

If Steve Perry Journey (and I like Journey), many Rap groups and some marginal groups can get in, I fail to see a reason that The Guess Who shouldn't be considered at the very least.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Journey's success was far greater (and longer) than the Guess Who's, at least in America, which unfortunately is the only place that matters according to Rock Hall voters. I like the Guess Who, and I know they're a national treasure in their native land, but from a 21st century American perspective, they were a good band that had a solid half-dozen hits during 1969-70, and then kind of faded from relevance, putting them about on the same level as, say, Grand Funk (despite being a much more interesting band). I like them, but I think there's more worthy acts, that's all.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

A big "hell yeah" vote from me

6. TommyTremor

TommyTremor Walkin' the boogie

Absolutely. It's the most egregious omission in the history of the Hall. "American Woman" alone should cement their worth--it's one of the most iconic rock songs of all time. Not to mention the string of additional hits both in the '60s and early '70s ("Albert Flasher" anyone?). And think about it, these bands from the same era are in: The Rascals, Mamas & Papas, Lovin' Spoonful, Dave Clark Five, Hollies, Zombies. Not to take anything away from those bands, but the Guess Who are AT LEAST on a par with them, and in the case of the Rascals, DC5 and Zombies, well above in terms of hits, impact, and length of career on the charts.

I just don't understand why they've been overlooked. Did Bachman piss off Jann Wenner at some point? Let's see what happens now that Wenner has stepped down from the HOF Board (in 2019).

Stratoblaster likes this.
  7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The people have spoken!

8. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

"American Woman" is in the HOF's 500 songs list so that's how they're represented. I think their chance has passed but you never know. I don't think they belong. I can't find UK charts for them which is a negative indicator, they had all 6 US top ten hits in a 2-year span, then never had another and a very poor showing on the US albums chart with just one U.S. top 10 album. I think those other bands had and probably still have more fame. Still, this forum loves them 75% say they should go in. I just don't see it with a single top ten album and no innovation. The Canada aspect that was mentioned a few times is important and could help, but I see them putting in Alanis Morrisette instead.

9. TommyTremor

TommyTremor Walkin' the boogie

Point taken. Maybe I (and others) just think they were a great band and deserve the honor. Data be damned. :cool:

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

Definitely Yes!

11. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

When Bachman/Cummings get together they draw a crowd. I have seen the Guess Who in the 70's onward several times and Bachman/Cummings a few years ago, twice and Cummings still hits all the notes and can still sing Undun. Not an easy tune to sing in your 70's. The only tune Alanis will carry at 70 will be coming out of her phone.

Hep Alien and Stratoblaster like this.
  12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Over Bon Jovi, especially.

13. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

As someone who grew up on the Prairies, gotta love that they had two albums with wheat in the title. They certainly got farther than most bands working an out of the way regional circuit. If the CBC hadn't offered them that TV gig they might never have made it. Put 'em in for every band from the sticks who worked their tails off and didn't make it. Also the politics of who's inducted should be fascinating.

14. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Absolutely they should be...their body of work and creativity is fantastic and they had the chart success that seems to be a criteria of getting in in some cases.

I consider them "Canada's Band" (well, either them or Rush, depending on the day heh).

I listen to them a fair bit (the 'deeper' cuts mainly, not the stuff you hear constantly) and they really are a top-notch pop-rock band; heads and shoulders above many of their contemporaries and their songwriting, performances, originality, melodies, and harmonies are as good as it gets IMO.

The Guess Who's output is stellar...very much deserving of induction.

Comet01 likes this.
  15. DennyB

DennyB Forum Resident

I have never understood the thinking for the selecting the nominees for the Rock Hall. I would think the classic bands like the Guess Who or Jethro Tull would deserve the honor long before the rappers, The Staple Singers or Whitney Houston. If there is a RAP Hall of Fame or an R&B Hall of Fame or a Gospel Hall of Fame then many of the members of the Rock Hall would not need to be included. I love Cat Stevens dearly but there are so many bands from the 60's and 70's that are closer to the spirit of Rock&Roll than he is - even he questioned his induction at the time.

I live 30 miles from Cleveland and I visit the Hall pretty often and I am constantly amazed who is in there and who is not. I have always believed that the nomination committee often takes one song to pigeonhole a band and that sadly defines their catalog of songs in their eyes. With the Guess Who I think the song is CLAP FOR THE WOLFMAN - no matter how many Rock songs the band did - they are too well known for that one lame song. For Jethro Tull it is BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE. I ran into Bowzer from Sha Na Na on a cruise a few years ago and asked him why his band was not in the Rock Hall. He just shrugged his shoulders and said that he would love to be in there but he didn't think that they consider SHA NA NA as a Rock act! Seriously?? And SAVING ALL MY LOVE FOR YOU is a rock song? Something is clearly wrong here.

16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Not particularly familiar with their records. So I'll say....yes, if they induct Television too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.