Should the Guess Who be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keifspoon, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Picking one artist who probably shouldn't have been inducted to support the induction of someone else who shouldn't be inducted does not compute! :)

Every HOF - sports, arts, whatever - will always have some highly questionable inductees. I don't think these should be used to support the induction of other highly questionable choices.

Let's shoot higher! :D

2. Oatsdad

So it lost credibility for you during their very first induction class in 1986?

3. Oatsdad

I don't think DD claims Sledge wasn't talented - and he admitted he was going "devil's advocate".

He responded to my post that "disqualified" BTO because only 2 of their songs remain remembered by the general public.

Sledge did have more than one hit, but few remember anything other than his big single!

Diamond Dog likes this.
  4. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Like "acts" that've had a huge impact on popular culture? :rolleyes:. Like the Oscars, RNRHOF spirals downward to ever lowering standards.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I suppose lots of artists 'should' be in a hall of fame, and some probably 'should' not be that are. If someone so honored enjoys getting honored cool, but really it means nothing to me. Our collections are each of our own personal hall. I have a fair amount of Guess Who, I have no Roxette, it is what it is.

6. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

yup

7. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Yes. This isn't the Pop HOF but the Rock n' Roll HOF. Rock n' Roll is a specific genre of music that has distinct characteristics that are easily identifiable. If they wanted a HOF that was all encompassing the they should've named it the Pop HOF / Music HOF etc.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

why not? every one else is in

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hmmmm...I guess that's why Joan Jett and Donna Summer made it to the Hall?

10. John

John Senior Member

Dut, dut dut da da da dut dut duta....YES.

11. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I think the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame puts too much emphasis on albums rather than singles, even though singles can have just as much impact. That works against the Guess Who, but I still think they'll eventually get in some way. As some have already mentioned, they ALL get in don't they? Did you notice how that "list" of deserving bands is getting smaller and smaller? The last few years the Hall Of Fame is starting to make amends for long-time snubs.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wait...they did this too? what are we even talking about, ofcourse they should be in: no sugar tonight, no time, these eyes, american woman...wheres my greatest hits album

keyXVII, giantleech and marmalade like this.
  13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the anthology says it all.
    CD 1.
    01. Shakin’ All Over
    02. It’s My Pride
    03. When Friends Fall Out
    04. These Eyes
    05. A Wednesday In Your Garden
    06. Laughing
    07. 6 A.M. Or Nearer
    08. Undun
    09. No Time
    10. No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
    11. American Woman
    12. The Answer
    13. Hand Me Down World
    14. Bus Rider
    15. Share The Land
    16. Hang On To Your Life
    17. Do You Miss Me Darlin’
    18. Albert Flasher
    19. Broken
    20. Pain Train
    21. Sour Suite
    CD 2.
    01. Rain Dance
    02. Heartbroken Bopper
    03. Smoke Big Factory
    04. Guns, Guns, Guns
    05. Runnin’ Back To Saskatoon
    06. Follow Your Daughter Home
    07. Samantha’s Living Room
    08. Orly
    09. Those Show Biz Shoes
    10. Glamour Boy
    11. Cardboard Empire
    12. Star Baby
    13. Sona Sona
    14. Clap For The Wolfman
    15. Hoe Down Time
    16. Dancin’ Fool
    17. Dreams
    18. When The Band Was Singin’ (Shakin’ All Over)

14. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I'd put 'em in the HOF just for this song.... probably my favorite Guess Who track.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That's adorable. :biglaugh:

D.D.

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah I like Rain Dance too, but my favorite post-Randy song is probably this one.

keyXVII and Crimson Witch like this.
  17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Do you normally assume that the people you are addressing are utterly ignorant or are you just trying this approach out ? It's really not very conducive to civil and productive conversation. Just sayin'...

With that out of the way, let me just say this about that : Donny Hathaway.

D.D.

18. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

<--I'm a tad bit biased.

Of course I voted yes, but the sad fact is that the current owners of the name have really driven into the ground, critically speaking. Someone mentioned upthread that Rudy Sarzo was their current bassist, which while being a huge surprise, also meant that Jim Kale was not playing bass...so I did a little digging and apparently there has been a bit of touring with NO original members of the band onstage. Quite sickening to me. I mean, it isn't unprecedented by any means that a popular group tours with no original members (Little River Band, etc) but when it is one of your top 3 favorite bands of all time...sigh.

Luckily, Jim Kale's shoddy handling of the name over the last 30+ years has softened the blow for me. At this point, who would they induct? Terry Hatty? Leonard Shaw? Brent Friggin' DeJarlais? Oh hell no!

Sorry, rant over.

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

It's so cute that the Guess Who fans really think they belong in the Hall. This reminds me of the Steppenwolf thread where a bunch of people thought they should go in cause of 2 big songs and by the end of the thread, I had 5 to 10 people still trying to convince me they should go and everyone else bailed on the conversation like they weren't worth arguing about.

I got into the Guess Who in the 90's when I started listening to music more seriously. I had known "These Eyes" from the oldies radio station and "American Woman" and "No Time" from the classic rock station. I thought these songs were good enough to pick up the Anthology the OP just posted.

On first listen I remembered I heard "Undun", "No Sugar Tonight" and "Laughing". None of the other songs have I ever heard on radio. I thought some of the other tracks on the first disc of the "Anthology" were good too but after "American Woman", I could tell the quality of the songs were quickly going downhill. The whole 2nd disc just felt like they fizzled out.

Their big time (quality and commercially) was in such a small window that I knew most of their albums probably were low quality as well. They themselves probably realized too ending soon after.

Nowadays, I'd say people still recognize "American Woman" and that's it-like they were a one-hit wonder. They have so many weaknesses when it comes to a Hall qualification whether it be the lack of fame everywhere in the world but North America or the lack of innovation, influence, longevity, inconsistent albums. Most telling is they only had a dozen top hits in Canada where they should have dominated. To not be able to dominate their own country proves that even Canada thought they were good but not great. I do like the Guess Who and even some of the lesser songs like "Sour Suite" and "Pain Train" along with the great "These Eyes" and early stuff like "A Wednesday in Your Garden", but the 70's classic rock infatuation is clouding the poll. "These Eyes", "No Sugar Tonight", "Undun" and "Laughing" are no longer known by most of society and are never played on oldies or classic rock stations.

They are like Steppenwolf- "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born to Be Wild" are in the RRHOF songs section and "American Woman" is in that section too-but one Hall of Fame quality song is not enough for the band. I checked NotintheHallofFame.com and they have over 500 listed rock artists that belong in the Hall and the Guess Who could not even make that list. In a month from now, this thread will have a few hardcore fans still claiming it and everyone else will have left.

I like them but if I mention them to anyone on the street they'd probably think I was doing an Abbott and Costello routine.

20. the pope ondine

well....no one would know who they are either

21. WilliamWes

Hey that might be true too. :laugh: Guess who's on first? You know I was looking that up just now and found that that 'Who's on first?' has some cool accolades...

In 1999, Time named the routine Best Comedy Sketch of the 20th century.

An early radio recording was placed in the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry in 2003.

In 2005, the line "Who's on First?" was included on the American Film Institute's list of 100 memorable movie quotations.

22. the pope ondine

its a classic! [​IMG]

WilliamWes likes this.
  23. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Three words: Canadian Content law.

Also, thanks for at least admitting upfront to being a threadcrapper. Most people don't. I guess you can't fathom the idea of someone being passionate about certain musical groups. Your signature contains a link to a Love album by album thread. Now, I happen to like Love and most of what Arthur Lee put out over the years. Do I think they belong in the Hall of Fame? Yes. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't click on a link and proceed to post what you did. Likewise with Steppenwolf. I don't think they belong in the Hall Of Fame. But I wouldn't go dump on their fans either.

Abbott and Costello? Really?

24. WilliamWes

Oh those jerseys look great! Hey whether or not people remember the sketch, here and there, I'll see or hear it mentioned once in a blue moon. I actually found the starting lineup...

PositionPlayer
    First baseWho
    Second baseWhat
    Third baseI Don't Know
    Left fieldWhy
    Center fieldBecause
    PitcherTomorrow
    CatcherToday
    ShortstopI Don't Give a Darn or I Don't Care

I'll throw in
    Designated Hitter: The Guess Who

;)

the pope ondine likes this.
  25. WilliamWes

I am a Guess Who fan who doesn't think they belong in the Hall. Just like most of the music I listen to. I've said on the forum as much as I love everything about Love as you saw on my thread, I'm iffy if they belong in the Hall either though Forever Changes is in the RRHOF albums section and also on the National Recording Registry (in the U.S.).

I always appreciate the passion of the rock fan especially nowadays, but there's a point where I get realistic with my fandom for a lot of artists and realize that as much as I love them, I know which ones are excellent, which are innovative, which are influential, which suck. I have plenty of music that I think sucks within the whole history of rock. I had Sponge as my avatar for my first year here- a below average 90's rock band with only a few hits and I know they suck but I love them. He he

There's a certain ego element that makes me think that people think that like=good and that's just not the case. Claiming a favorite rock band that had a few hits belongs in the Hall is a bit of an ego trip. If you check the Steppenwolf thread, you'll find they actually got me to change my mind about Steppenwolf though I noticed that band was off the nominations list now. Reading a lot of -'The Guess Who are great cause I love them' in a way shows that the fan only has his own perspective in mind when deciding who belongs and who doesn't. There's more to it than that but if a Guess Who fan gives me a fantastic argument as to why then my ears are open.

If this were a 'Guess Who appreciation' thread, I would just post the songs I like and say that I was a fan of the group, but this is a question posed that allows for any answer - 'yes's and 'no's. If you have some kind of personal connection to the members of the Guess Who then I can understand you being upset but I thought I gave a thorough and honest answer. An emotional connection to music can feel personal and therefore a claimed insult to an artist can feel like a personal insult and language can be a strong device. If a Guess Who fan uses that language as a device strong enough to convince me, then I will accept that they belong in the Hall just like the posters did with me on the Steppenwolf thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.