Should The Rolling Stones Continue as a Touring and Recording Act Without Charlie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 57 Goldtop, Aug 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Keith could probably survive a nuclear blast.

Sean and idledreamer like this.
  2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I think Keith said that the Stones had been called old and washed-up and dinosaurs, etc., since 1975.

DTK likes this.
  3. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

They should finish the tour in Charlie’s honour and then call it a day. They can easily retire and focus on releasing legacy recordings that haven’t seen official light of day. MSG 72, El Mocambo 77, Knebworth 76, Hyde Park 69, … so much stuff that brings their greatness.

4. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Hoping they continue, just to annoy the entitled, selfish 'fans' saying they should have already hung it up.

5. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Well, If Charlie told them to continue before his procedure no matter what happens........I can't see them continuing.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Yes

Sean likes this.
  7. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

The band is clearly in finite years, Mick, Keith & Ronnie should do whatever they want to do...one day, the last Stone will roll no more...

JDeanB likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Miss Charlie immensely but Jagger/Richards will sell regardless.

R.I.P. Dear Charlie

:cry:

Sean likes this.
  9. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

.......that day comes for all of us.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Should the Stones continue? But of course, "Let's Work"!

stef1205, Sean and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I'm already starting to dislike the Keith jokes after Charlie's passing today. One day the same will happen with Keith, and these immortality jokes will seem in very poor taste.

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

If they want to, rock on. Townsend and Daltrey did a nice record last year and a tour.

Sean, Usagi75 and 57 Goldtop like this.
  13. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume 12 HOT hits for a COOL penny!

An acoustic tour would be awesome. RIP, Charlie.

14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I think with the Who, the band continuing after Keith passed on set a precedent, and that made it hard for Roger and Pete to end the band after John passed too.

I'm not a fan of the last two albums, so maybe there's some selfishness on my part, but I wish they did end the band in 2002.

unclefred likes this.
  15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The age group and mindset skews too old on this board to anything in practical terms. Most folks on this board view the Stones as contemporaries and something that grew with them as they grew up -- this vital evolving rock'n'roll band. That's not the case for a major part of the population now.

For the Baby Boomers who were smoking their joints to "Beggar's Banquet" in 1969... For the GenXer who listened to "Some Girls" non-stop or felt "Tattoo You" was the great rockin' LP by "old men" in 1981... The Stones are not going to continue "for you"...

I probably would not go see them again, because I had my "day in the sun" with this band... and it's not about me.

For the kid born in 2001 who maybe just lost his mind to "Exile on Main Street" about three years ago? That's who the Stones will probably continue for... Because even it's Mick and Keith at 80 still doing it, wanting to do it, enjoying it (not being wheeled out on stage like a very sad BB King or such during his last days), that's the closest someone that age is ever going to get to the "real thing."

And when all of these guys are in the ground, most folks at that point will say that they wished the band continued on just a bit longer.

16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I did actually like the last one but not the bonus tracks.

Bluepicasso and Haristar like this.
  17. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Including Keith.

DTK likes this.
  18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The group should do what it pleases.

Tim

ARK, Sean and audiomixer like this.
  19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

They continued after Brian died.

Sean likes this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am convinced that for many people, retirement is something that is embraced reluctantly. I think that many of us would love to continue working well into our “Golden years” if there were employers willing to hire us. I am over 60 and consider myself to be blessed that my services are still desired, and I dread the day when my clients or my partners may decide that I am no longer needed, and can enjoy time on the beach or with grandkids, etc.

From that perspective, although I would be very envious, I could never fault a friend or a relative or a Rolling Stone if they wanted to keep working into their 70’s rather than retiring. And if “work” means playing rock and roll on a warm summer night in front of 60,000 people . . . well, I can’t think of anything more life-affirming.

Sean, muzzer and wayneklein like this.
  21. doity

doity Forum Resident

I don’t know this might come off as odd......but how about recruiting someone like Bun E. Carlos as a replacement.? Not the exact playing style, but more of the same non-flashy but competent drummer with a kind of “Everyman doing his job” kind of vibe. I would rather much see someone like that get the gig than some anonymous session drummer. Too soon?

22. I think after this tour, it would be wise to call it a day. Then again, Townsend and Daltrey managed to do a great job,of bringing the spirit of The Who on their last couple of tours without John.

23. I’m there with you. There are times when I would like to cut back my hours for work but continue to do what I enjoy but that just isn’t in the cards.

24. Adrian madden

Adrian madden Well-Known Member

They've got to call it a day sometime.......and this is as good as any. !!!

25. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I’d happily swap careers with a successful musician.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.