Shows you discovered via reruns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, Dec 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are some shows you didnt watch in their initial run, but discovered them via reruns? One of the most notable ones for me would be Night Court (OK, by the time it hit syndication it WAS still airing, but I never watched the show until I saw the syndicated reruns). Magnum PI (thanks USA network!) also comes to mind. And of course, lots of 50s-70s shows as well, but to be fair, I wasnt born then.

2. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Seinfeld. Never watched a single episode during its initial run. I didn't start watching it until around 2007. Wish it didn't take me so long.

altaeria and beccabear67 like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Modern Family and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Neither stuck for more than a year or so.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The King of Queens. Was more or less forced to watch it during a few hotel stays with limited viewing options and really fell for it.

5. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

Any sitcom I've watched within the past 30 years. Except Young Sheldon which I started because I was already a fan of Big Bang Theory.

a customer likes this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Several, but these come immediately to mind:
    Da Vinci's Inquest, Mr. Ed, and The Office.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

That was a good show. The leads had a great chemistry and the father was hilarious.

MrGrumpy, MikaelaArsenault and twicks like this.
  8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Everybody Loves Raymond. Discovered when they were in their real-life final season, caught up on the syndicated versions.

9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Seinfeld. Never watched it when it was new. Discovered it on TBS. Family Guy. Ditto

a customer likes this.
  10. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Many shows, since I wasn't born until the late 70s. The first show that immediately comes to mind is the Brady Bunch. Those reruns were a staple growing up in the 80s with my family.

Steve Litos likes this.
  11. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

This year:
    Cold Case
    The Closer
    Major Crimes
    Law & Order: SVU

12. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

Star Trek in the late 70's. It was on every week day from 5-6 when I was a kid which was slightly annoying because we would have dinner every night at around 6 pm. My parents would call us to the dinner table at around 5:5o. I would wait until the third, most agitated, "Dinner!!!" call and run upstairs and invariably missed the last five minutes of every episode...LOL

Steve Litos and vinnie like this.
  13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Barney Miller (from WGN reruns)

14. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Schitt$ Creek.

Lion254 and jlocke08 like this.
  15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The Nanny
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    The King of Queens

I never watched a single episode of these 3 shows during their original run.
    I became a huge fan of the original Law & Order when I discovered the show when reruns were shown mornings on A&E in 1996; The show was then in its 6th season on NBC and I had never seen it there. Apparently, it gained a multitude of new fans who began watching it because of the A&E repeats.

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Wings. It always lived in the shadow of its older sibling, “Cheers,” which was frequently its lead-in. And I never felt that the three “Wings” leads were as dynamic of charismatic as Ted Danson and Shelley Long. But on its own merits, and no longer airing in tandem with “Cheers”, “Wings” is a very solid and sometimes clever sitcom.

17. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Twin Peaks

18. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Parks and Rec. Never watched it when it came out, loved it when I eventually watched the reruns.

Warzawa, Lion254 and JPagan like this.
  19. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Seinfeld but saw the pilot some time around the late '80's and thought Jason Alexander was ripping off Woody Allen's mojo (which he confirms in interviews before switching to doing Larry David instead). Didn't watch the series. Too busy during the '90's to check show schedules anyway. What I now don't understand about Jerry Seinfeld is his never mentioning his "Frankie" character on "Benson" in current talk show interviews which I thought stunk to high heaven, another reason I didn't watch Seinfeld. Here's a reminder...

I started watching Seinfeld in reruns in '97 and was dumbstruck on how good it was especially seeing a big improvement in Jerry's performance compared to his Frankie character.

Now I'm hooked on Mannix and Cannon which I didn't watch because they bored me as a teen when they originally aired. Going Spectrum cable basic limited forced me to settle for these rerun channels like MeTV. I've found these old detective shows are really well written and not as formulaic as today's NCIS and similar others. There's a lot of specificity in setups and situations that points to really good writing and writers who seem to have learned a lot about the crime world.

altaeria, somnar and showtaper like this.
  20. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

A bunch of my "teenage girl" obsessions.

Dawson's Creek
    Gilmore Girls
    Buffy
    Angel

And Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

West Wing. And tons of stuff that was originally on cable or services like HBO--Mad Men, Sopranos, yadda yadda.

22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Becker

Erik Tracy likes this.
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

Randall & Hopkirk (deceased) 1969

I rediscovered Minder this year via ITV4 showing all the episodes. I do remember watching it in the early-mid 80's but forgot about it.
    I'd said it is one of my favourite ever TV shows now. Love it. I'm actually re-re watching episodes again. Recording whatever they are showing again.

They are showing Dempsey & Makepeace as well. Another childhood fav.
    Its not as good as I remember.....although Glynis Barber is :love:

More ITV4 repeats

The Professionals: Vaguely remember this being on....Good show.
    The Sweeney: Missed this one, was learning to walk.....great show.

cathandler, Dave Hoos and beccabear67 like this.
  24. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Ooh, I forgot West Wing.

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Gilligan's Island
    The Addams Family
    The Munsters
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Star Trek
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    The Flintstones
    The Monkees
    The Andy Griffith Show

I don't think I really thought about how they weren't new when I watched them as a kid. There may be others, but that's what I could rattle off by memory.
    Of more recent vintage, I think 2 and a Half Men was already winding down when I started watching it in syndication.

Steve Litos and Danny Coffin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.