Shows you discovered via reruns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, Dec 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Not really "reruns", per se, but after the fact anyway.

All of the "Alan Partridge" shows
    A Bit of Fry & Laurie
    Blackadder

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' 30 Rock ' is hysterically funny.
    Alec Baldwin is fantastic in it.

CoryS likes this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think these qualify as reruns since they debuted in other countries and after being shown there were shown in the U. S.:
    • The Benny Hill Show
      • It appears that the shows that were broadcast in the U. S. were amalgams created from the hour-long U. K. shows. I have some of uncut episodes released on DVD and the original shows were more like a variety show, and some acts who only made a fleeting appearance on the shows broadcast here had full performances in the U. K. shows.
    • Monty Python's Flying Circus
    • The Goodies
    • Dave Allen At Large
    • Doctor Who
      • My first experience with Doctor Who was via the non-canon movie Dr. Who & The Daleks which starred Peter Cushing as Dr. Who (it was basically a movie version of Doctor Who's first Dalek story). Then, I got a paperback novelization of story, followed by some of the Doctor Who comic books published by Marvel Comics (they were drawn by Dave Gibbons, better known here for being the artist on Watchmen). The first true Doctor Who episodes I saw were the first Fourth Doctor stories, reruns of the U. K. episodes.
    • Astro Boy
    Some others shows that come to mind:
    • The Wild, Wild West
    • The Twilight Zone (The Original Series)
    • Love, American Style
    • The Flintstones
    • The Jetsons (The Original Series)
    • The Outer Limits
    • Hogan's Heroes
    • The Beverly Hillbillies
    • Petticoat Junction
    • Green Acres
    • The Andy Griffith Show/Mayberry R. F. D.
    • The Avengers (the U. K. series)
    • Tennessee Tuxedo
    • The Alvin Show
    • Underdog
    • Rocky & Bullwinkle

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Star Trek. It was cancelled well before I was born, but I became obsessed with it as a wee lad.

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Punky Brewster. Yeah, it was another one of those "cute orphan" shows of the 80s, and they went over the top with "very special episodes", but it has a charm all its own, and George Gaynes does more than enough with the material he's given (surprised he wasnt a more prolific actor). Glad I discovered it in syndication.

6. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Schitt's Creek Now an all-time favorite. Very funny.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I just binge watched 6 episodes of Spectrum Cable TV Originals "The Bite" and I've never laughed so hard at any TV show, even more than an SNL episode.

It's created by Robert and Michelle King, who created CBS's "Evil". "The Bite" is on a whole other level of sophisticated social parody concerning the politics of the Covid pandemic.

It's like Woody Allen made an "Annie Hall" styled zombie movie that takes place in the upper east side and Hell's Kitchen of New York. It's so smartly written and produced.

It's the first time for me binging any streamed service. And from the quality of this show I'm never going to say anything bad about when Spectrum offers for free their On Demand Spectrum Original TV series content most of which I tried and didn't like until the "The Bite". It's as smart and entertaining as Breaking Bad IMO.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This year I have watched Dragnet (color episodes 4 seasons) on MeTV and my wife and I had never seen those. When the episodes started repeating we moved on to Adam-12. I did not remember anything about Adam-12 but I remember it being on when I was a kid. I have the DVR set to record it each afternoon then watch it at night. Also, Mission Impossible on MeTV.

9. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I discovered my 2 favorite TV shows in reruns: Star Trek and Are You Being Served?

twicks likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's how my wife came to Love Raymond. Once she ran into it in syndication, there was no stopping her.

Let me ask you, as far as it affects your absorbtion of a series: do you prefer the pace of once-a-week, "stripping" (that is, 5-a-week, Monday-through-Friday), or the total anarchy of bingeing?

I've found, having access to as many of them you want, leads to ruining the impact of sitcoms, but sequential dramas benefit from you getting to enjoy perhaps two episodes in sitting, to help you retain plotline, then you can go on to other shows. We loved watching The Americans that way.

My wife, on the other hand, just crams epidside-after-episode into her noggin (and maddeningly, they're usually the lighter ones, such as Black-ish ), tying up the teevee for hours at a time.

11. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Two shows I discovered as reruns after school...
    The Rifleman
    Perry Mason

12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Caught many of them on tbs because they came on the same time everyday. Big bang theory. Mom. Etc

13. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

There's a few but Parks and Rec would be near the top of my list. Went through it a few years ago and then again recently in fact im on the last season and one thing I realized is I forgotten how much i loved this show the first time around.

The other show well sorta but never watched it until it had run its course was Gilmore Girls

14. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Happy Endings. Never knew it existed until I heard about the show through recommendations, years after it went off the air. That show was funny as hell. There's a reason why it's available on Hulu now despite lasting only three seasons. If I had known how good it was when it was on the air, I would have watched it then.

15. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The Andy Griffith Show; never ever watched it as a kid, but when I was in the hospital for two weeks after surgery the hospital only had a basic cable package so I got hooked on the show. The black-and-white episodes were so much better than the later color ones; the color episodes looked cheap and the set dressing made everything look like it was filmed behind the Iron Curtain. All the budget must've gone on color cameras and film stock the last few years!

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I generally don't watch police shows but I saw a Major Crimes rerun about a year ago and was hooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.