Shure DT35P/Optonica RP-4705 Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WMTC, May 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I've got a Optonica RP-4705 turntable. It's currently outfitted with a Shure DT35P cartridge. Is this a good cart? I was able to find a replacement stylus on LP Gear for nearly $80. The stylus in the cartridge currently is bent. Am I better off buying a different cart for this turntable, or am I better off with a replacement stylus for this cartridge? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Can you possibly post a photo of your cartridge as mounted in your headshell? The Shure DT35P is a P-Mount cartridge which is less common. The examples of your table I see online show something else. A photo would be a big help.

WMTC likes this.
  3. WMTC

Sure, I will try and post one later this evening. It is definitely a DT35P; I believe this 'table is retrofitted with a "p" mount adapter.

4. WMTC

Unfortunately a few things came up and I completely forgot about this post... My apologies. At this point, I think I'm just going to seek out a replacement cartridge for this turntable. Any recommendations? I'm looking to stay under $100.00.

I'm at school currently and the turntable is at home so I don't have access to it to take a picture of the current cart.

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If it's a standard 1/2-inch mount (two screws through the top of the headshell), you might consider an Audio-Technica VM95E. Not expensive, and plenty of reviews online. You'll also need an alignment protractor.

WMTC likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Seconded for the VM95E as the current cartridge under $80 that is closest to what you have. You would have to mount it and align it.

Here is the original manual for the DT35P. It was a good cart.

https://pubs.shure.com/guide/DT15P/en-US

This shows that cart originally came with a "Hyper-Ridge" stylus, which I think means Hyperelliptical, and that one from LP Gear is about very close to the original Shure.
    That manual shows the replacement stylus model as N97LT. But the lower elliptical N96LT and N95LT models would fit perfectly. ("LT" meant Linear Track, just marketing mumbo which really meant nothing for a cart.)

If you just want to get by for now, search the auction site for N97LT and a stylus for $12.99 free ship will come up (today). It will be OK but it is a conical. It will have decent sound but it will not track difficult records as well, but it is just $13. I have ordered other styli from that seller and his stuff is OK. Perfect for playing 7" 45s.

Then you can decide whether to get the LP Gear stylus or the VM95E.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2021
    WMTC likes this.
  7. WMTC

Thank you for all of the great information! Would that N97LT damage albums or cause significantly more wear than the $80 one from LP Gear? If not, I might just get it for the time being and try out that turntable with it!

I'm assuming by "the auction site," you mean eBay, correct? I believe that I found the listing you referenced.

Thanks again!

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Theoretically it could cause a very tiny bit more wear, but only on difficult cut LPs. Not enough to worry at all. But it could have more "sibilance" on difficult cuts, especially on difficult female vocals. It's actually slightly better than the original on 45s. I only note all this to be too nit-picky accurate based on my experience.
    Yes, I mean that E site but I try not to use that name here, it's OK if you do! I think I would get that stylus now and decide later about the LP Gear or the VM.
    And you're welcome! :)

WMTC likes this.
  9. WMTC

Okay, that certainly makes sense! I just purchased that stylus and will give that turntable a spin when it arrives here on Monday:D.

Will report back here with the results!

Looks like that cart tracks at 1.25g too, which is a very comfortable tracking force.

Thanks again!

10. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I am interested in your thoughts about it.
    It is rated at 1.25g, and try that, but it is an aftermarket and you could try 1.4g and 1.5g too and hear at what setting it sounds best. (This would be the same for the LP Gear.)
    Also, it should sound good right away, but give it 5 hours of playing time to break it in. I think you will find, at least, that the separation will open up - wider stereo - after 5 hours or so of break-in.

WMTC likes this.
  11. WMTC

Thanks! I'm running it through the system that's in my avatar - an early 70s Panasonic - in a dorm room so a lot of the nuances of the stylus certainly won't come through. But it certainly sounds nice and has pretty minimal sibilance so far, though most of my listening is singer/songwriter and folk, so I doubt I'll really be pushing it too much in that regard. I'll play with the tracking force and try to see what sounds optimal!

[​IMG]
    It's certainly a stylish enough turntable!:D

Thanks again for all of your help and advice; I appreciate it!!!

JohnO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.