Shure M97XE fault

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rtrt, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I had a Shure V-15RS with a soft suspension. You can still use the cartridge IMO, but lighten up on the tracking force a bit (ie 1.5 grams to 1.1 grams) That worked for me until I replaced the stylus.

rtrt likes this.
  2. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks -will give that a go.

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Interesting. I just replaced an OM5e with the M97xe and found the Shure to be a substantial upgrade right out of the box. Maybe I got a good one (knock on wood). The stylus & cantilever looked well-aligned. TT is a Pro-Ject Debut III DC.

To my ears, the midrange in the Shure is sweeter & better-resolved, and the bass is much more impactful--the Ortofon sounded thin and peaky in the upper mids by comparison. Vocals sound much nicer on the M97xe. I can hear the treble roll-off in the Shure but it's not at all objectionable on my daughter's modest system.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Shure.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I had the 97XE. To me, it was a boring sounding cart. But to each his own.

Mad Dog and patient_ot like this.
  5. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I have the m97xe and flip flop between loving its smoothness and excellent bass detail and then finding it lacking in the higher frequencies. I have it right now in a table that gets less use and plan to try an upgraded stylus when the stock one is used up. One thing that's great about the Shure is that it is tremendous bang for the buck!

6. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

That's exactly how I felt (not to knock the cart or anyone who enjoys it). It was my first real "audiophile" cartridge and I enjoyed it at first until I started to hear other cartridges. It made me realize the m97xe was kinda just ok sounding.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Right, and that goes for me as well, if you like the sound of it, may the road rise to meet you. It just wasnt for me.

Right now, I have a Denon 103R, and while its a great cart, it doesnt have the same midrange as the Denon Dl-110 which it replaced, so I'm looking around for another Dl-110.

8. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I had a denon dl110 and LOVED it! I was however swayed by the sweet sounds of the nagaoka mp30 (and now I have the mp50).

I do read however the jico sas transforms the m97xe into quite a beast

The FRiNgE likes this.
  9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes!

Jelloalien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.