Shure V15VMR Channel Problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an older Shure V15VMR with a Jico SAS stylus on my VPI Scout and I recently had the left channel go completely out. There was a loud hum in the left channel and the right channel was fine. In the colder months, if I am wearing shoes that give off some static, Ive cues up a record and received a shock when touching the tonearm. This is the second time this has happened and it’s usually in the colder months after some static build up occurs. It is now fixed, as both times I’ve removed the headshell connector pins and connected them again. Is this common or possibily the older Shure cartridge. I’ve also changed to a different cartridge after this happened and it was fine. Any ideas?

2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'm running two V15V's one with MR stylus and the other with Jico SAS on Boron coated cantilever. I have a static electricity problem like you in winter unless the humidifier is running. Sometimes I get a little shock but not so bad that it ever knocked out a channel. Your problem is a mystery to me.

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

A static discharge is never good, however a normal "carpet" static discharge does not damage the cartridge coils. A discharge could open a marginal pin connection. Also static discharge can damage phono pre-amp circuits, even though the unit may appear unaffected. The fix for this, clean the pins with some Meguire's ultimate compound (black bottle) with a Q tip stick. Follow up with isopropyl and a blast of compressed air to remove any dust. The pins could be sprayed with contact cleaner, but it can react with certain plastics, plus does not remove any petina that may have formed, so I do not recommend contact cleaner , nor deoxit (stay away from that stuff) Meguire's micro-polish removes any possible petina, and restores full electrical connection.

patient_ot and Sterling1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.