Shure V15VxMR. Yea, or Nay?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZIPGUN99, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member Thread Starter

I unwrapped a new album, Daft Punk, house music with deep deep bass.
    I put the needle on the record, sat down, and cringed in horror as the tone arm skidded across the record.

I cursed Daft Punk! but it was'nt their fault: the stylus had broken off. The cartridge was more than 15 years old, so I guess I got my money's worth...

but, I was gonna replace it with "Old Faithful" the Shure V15VxMR which goes for 3 hundred and sumpthin' bucks. That's about all I can afford.

I ain't too hip to the current array of cartridge options. Should I go with the shure, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The Shure is tops in its ability to track highly modulated groves and flat frequency response. Two of the most important criteria in my book. Not the only cartridge to consider, but it is one of the very best.

Richard.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a highly recommended cart. Very top, especially for the price they're asking. Possibly the only cart that isn't coloring anything. Tells it like it is.

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Amen to all of the above comments. I finally put my search for the cartridge I could live with to rest in 1989, dumped my Koetsu and Dennesen Air Bearing arm for a JH arm and the V15V. Upgraded to the latest version (VXMR) in 1997.

In addition to the above, there's no need for a moving coil stepup device, as it puts out enough voltage to drive any preamp.

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Uh huh...great little cartridge. I doubt there's a better tracking cartridge in existence, and as was mentioned, it's totally neutral. One thing that wasn't mentioned is it's wonderfully low tracking weight of 1 gram...real easy on records.

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

If you are looking for a good cartridge on a budget may I suggest the Audio Technical ATML-440 somethingorother, which is now selling for $100. Sounds great, tracks well.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The Shure is great for simply listening to the music being reproduced accurately, without having to worry about what the cartridge is or isn't doing correctly. And the stylus is user-replaceable.

8. ZIPGUN99

thanks so much for your input!
    I ordered one Shure V15VxMR up for 324.00.
    I checked several online vendors, including LP Gear, music direct, and acoustic sounds, all are 325 bucks, except for music direct which is 324.

9. Ben

Ben New Member

I'm surprised that, before giving advice or an opinion on a cartiridge, nobody asked you this question...

What make and type TT and arm do you own?

Makes a difference....arm/table/cart is an alchemy of sorts...

Best,

ben

10. ZIPGUN99

i got a belt driven technics with the arm it comes with. Not a bad one, but nothing special. Someday i'll get a better one (first I gotta replace my dying magnepans).

11. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Good point. It's critical for the compliance of the cartridge to be compatible with the mass of the tonearm to control resonance. However, with the Shure V15VxMR, that's not a problem. This cartridge has a stabilizer brush mounted on it's front to control resonance. If it's not needed, it can be disengaged. I don't think it'll be needed in Bob's case, anyway. The stock tonearm on his Technics turntable is likely a low mass tonearm. The low weight/highly compliant Shure V15VxMR would be a very good match for a low mass tonearm. With the stabilizer brush, the V15VxMR could even be used with a high mass tonearm. Great of you to bring this up, though. A high compliance cartridge requires a low mass tonearm. A lower compliance cartridge requires a medium to high mass tonearm.

12. Ben

Ben New Member

Save The Maggie!

13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I've had a TypeV MR for almost twenty years and I love it. All the comments here ring true with me, too. J&R Music World quoted me a price of 229 for an upgrade to the V15VxMR; I know you've already ordered your cart, but I thought I'd pass this along for anyone else who's interested.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I got a shure V15xMR cartridge without the stylus on ebay for $60.00. The replacement stylus was $150.00 two years ago. Total cost $210.00. I like the cartridge. It sounds about right to me.

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Looks like you've already ordered the Shure but I'll chime in anyway.

You will not be disappointed. I bought a new one ($275 at Music Direct) and used it briefly on my trusty old DD Technics with amazing results. What a change from the distorting mushy mess of a Grado Red. That mid-fi deck never sounded so good.

Now I have an AR ES-1 with the standard arm (hope to upgrade soon) and with the Shure, it's by far the best analog I've ever heard in my system. It's worry free analog. It simply plays the music. No fuss, no mis-tracking. The kind of analog that makes one believe that LPs still rule!
    Like I said, you'll love it. Great cart, a true classic.
    Dan C

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Alas I broke the stylus on my V15VxMR yesterday. Fortunately for me, I had had the foresight for this sad event back in '97 when I bought the cartridge, and ordered the replacement stylus for it at the same time. Funny how expensive the cartridge has gotten in the past 5 years: I paid $290 total for the cartridge and the replacement stylus back then.

A friend recently bought a Type 5 off the internet after having done a google search. As I recall he paid about $200 for it from an authorized dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.