Sibilance

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johan Bos, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

So when you speak in terms of vocal sibilance you are not just talking about S´s and F´s? Do you mean that the entire voice is shrill or something? Do you have some examples?

2. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, the number on the deadwax at side 3 reads: 115158E1/C 3762449-A

Track 1 sounds ok. Sibilance starts at track 2, very pronounced in many words like: "wings", "so", "through", "souls", "found". Some parts its worse than other parts in the same track. I will try to measure effective tonearm mass.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If there is no lacquer cutter signature on the record, there is a good chance the LP (especially if it is a new, recent reissue) was cut from whatever the latest digital remaster is. In house cuts at plants like GZ or even Record Industry are usually done DMM like this and they aren't always great. So if there was natural sibilance in the music because that's the way it was recorded, and then you get a half-crap cut, that sometimes means the sibilance is exaggerated.

TLDR: it's probably the record.

Re: tonearm mass, it's a good practice to make sure your cartridge and tonearm are properly matched compliance wise.

4. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

115158E1/C - this master plate wasn't cut at GZ. Are you sure about all the digits? It might be an external cut lacquer (or a mother plate) supplied to us.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

This one was released by a great guy, Jack Clement.
    [​IMG]
    Those into their Country and Rock n Roll will know about this guy.
    The vinyl is Atrocious! Sibilance City for sure!
    I've had multiple copies and they are all the same.
    Terrible and a distracting listen.
    I got a digital copy later on, while never being officially re-released, so i know
    the recordings are just fine.
    Released on the Elektra label. Record sounds like the needle is full of dust
    before playing.
    Shocker!

6. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Too much engineers worked on this record, the original sound was lost on the road.

Engineered At – Battery Studios, London
    Engineered At – The Village Studios
    Engineered At – Steakhouse Studios

Pressed By – GZ Media – 115158E

Nobody can revive the vinyl industry with low quality products.

7. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

In my experience, usually the recording, although certain equipment can exasperate the problem( tweeters, cartridges, etc). Example: hotel California. This title track, even on state of the art equipment, always has some sibliance. My axiom m3ti actually do a respectable job on this recording. Better than most hi end speakers.

8. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I was getting some serious sibilence on certain tracks on my vinyl.
    I was enlightened by a local turntable techie that I was using a DJ scratch cartridge/stylus... I changed cartridges and wow... normality!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.