*sigh* Helping a neighbor-guy with 78s

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dillydipper, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Is there any hope of finding a list of 78's that might actually be of interest to anybody? From just eyeballing his 3 boxes, I couldn't offer any optimistic wisdom, but, I don't know the market. Maybe there's that one, lone Al Jolson disc in there that might make eyebrows go up somewhere, I dunno.

How do ya know?

He's also got about 500 45's I'm not even ready to think of bringing to the local monthly record show in Lancaster. But, I don't wanna just say, "sucks to be you", and walk off.

This is a new area for me. He's a junque dealer of good repute, but he's never done anything with records, so when they come to him, they just kinda wander off into the warehouse and take up space.

I'd like to give him at least a good head start.

(For posterity's sake...it's September 2020 right now)

2. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Look up the titles on discog...u can sell on their marketplace

Hey i read awhile back a 78 sold for like 28K

Just might be worth the time to dig thru one by one

3. Dillydipper

Normally that would have been the first place to check, just for price suggestions. But, they've put up the ol' "ad-blocker" firewall now, and it's the most complex cookie-sneaker I've ever seen, so I don't want to deal with them again.

I could use a very generic list of, "if you ever encounter a 78 collection, at lease see if they have..." sort of advice, just to get him started. I'm sure he could decide for himself if it's worth it for him to become an instant-expert, or it contributing to the nations' landfills is a better course.

4. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Please unless the lp is trash condition wise don't throw it away...give too a goodwill or thrift or church auction
    or advertise locally free give away come pickup on craigslist or local cheap rag

DONT THROW AWAY! Someone out there would like to have them im sure

5. Dillydipper

What LP are you referring to?

6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I'd try to look up a few titles on Amazon or eBay and see if they are worth anything. You can always drop them at a thrift and the vultures will haul them away.

Do you have any Half Price Books retail stores near you? They don't pay much if anything on the 78's but maybe the 45's.

I think I ended up throwing out a bunch of 45's before we moved out west. I didn't want to hassle with them.

Dillydipper likes this.
  7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

1st pass is to separate all the blues out.

chazz101s and Dillydipper like this.
  8. Who's they?

There's no ads or pop-ups on Discogs on my app, mobile web or desktop version. Just search 78's.. there's not that many in that category 14, 775 now as I look.

9. Dillydipper

So, you don't get a "We care about your privacy" creep-up at the bottom? You must have already let them feed you cookies. Homey don't play dat.

Once you go down the "choose cookie preferences" or the "show purposes" ( :wtf: ), and see how complex it is, I wonder why anybody would drink the kool-aid and just hit "I Accept".

It's probably a good educational experience to read-up on the latest in Internet Intrusion, but that doesn't mean I'm opting-in blindly, and nobody has the time to consider all the ramifications. We already give up a little of our liberties every time we check the box to accept a software update; I wouldn't be surprised if I no longer legally own my garage by now.

10. I don't subscribe to fear based browsing. If you are connected to the internet and have a smartphone, you've already sold your soul and I don't see how you're going to be able to help your neighbour without the db access.
    :cheers:

JasonA and stereoptic like this.
  11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm not sure if you want to, but if you create an account you shouldn't get that dialog box.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.