Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

You keep saying it's an 'expensive' book - but I picked up this set for 230 pounds on vinyl, which works out at 16.42 per disc (including the dvd) which are superbly mastered, perfectly flat and quiet. I consider this set cheap on vinyl (and would easily pay double for a set of this quality) with or without a book. I do find the book high quality (something that can not be said of the 1999 book - although I preferred the content of the 1999 book compared with sign).

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

If only I could have found perfectly flat vinyl. :realmad:

But I enjoy the book and the vinyl nonetheless.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  3. Mobs

Mobs Forum Resident

Pretty cool, the original live backing track for "It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night"

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is reasonably priced if anyone’s looking for a cheap alternative to the Prince “book” for Christmas ;)

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

CD super deluxe £99 and vinyl £199 on Amazon UK at the moment. It's a decent reduction but I can't help thinking these are the prices they should have been in the first place....

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It's certainly closer to the ImportCDs price that I paid.

Phil Tate likes this.
  7. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

I agree that's part of the fun. And look at this: Adore doesn't do much for me either, but Girlfriend might be my favourite of the whole SOTT era!

Michael Macrone and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

My wife's not happy - she bought it for me on release as a Xmas pressie!

Matthew Tate and Phil Tate like this.
  9. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

Ordered vinyl yesterday for £249.

Saw it was reduced to £199 today.

Original order cancelled double quick.

Searched for other similar reductions but aside from a Tom Petty boxset it appears to be the only really big reduction.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Really digging the vault tracks (for what I’ve heard them so far) and this is actually one of my best purchases of this year.
    This is prime example of how deluxe boxsets should be done. Absolutely my favorite. ❤️ Prince ❤️

11. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I paid about $235 I think at Import CDs but cancelled it when a big bill came in. I picked it up yesterday on Amazon Australia for $170 and they’re guaranteeing delivery before Christmas. Stuff like this never happens to me!

12. Pop Life

Pop Life Forum Resident

The book is perfect and this is one of my favourite reissues of the past decade. A contender for best release of 2020.

skisdlimit and Jayseph like this.
  13. croquetlawns

Well done! I didn’t expect it to drop that low or quickly on Amazon. Mine was about $190 with shipping from Import CDs.

DesertHermit and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I wonder how many are returned copies....

EG.

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Funny you should say that. My copy of the 1999 super deluxe vinyl boxset arrived earlier and at first I thought there was a scratch across the cover, running the length of the box from corner to corner. However, when I removed the shrink wrap it was actually just a scuff on the shrink and no indentation or mark on the actual box. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone had seen that scratch and shipped it straight back thinking the cover itself was scratched.

sunspot42 and Eric_Generic like this.
  16. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

So, I'm toying with the idea of getting the 2LP peach vinyl since it's still available. I have the 8CD SDE, but hey, who doesn't love colored vinyl with a spot varnish cover?

Anyway, I prefer ordering from importcds, but I was confuzzled by some wording on the item listing. It's identified as CLEAN. In fact, it's the first word in the listing - all in caps.

My question is: there was never an both and "edited" and "regular" version of any of the SOTT reissues, was there? It seems odd to me. I couldn't find comparable listings or info on either the Prince site or any Amazon listings. I can't imagine they'd do that to an item that is aimed at true fans and collectors anyway. I'd imagine this was likely the case back in '87, but not now.

Were there some initial bad pressings? I can't figure out why it says CLEAN. Ultimately, I'll email them to find out, but can anyone speak to this phenomena? I'll even take half-baked theories.

17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I can't think of any "Parental advisory" lyrics or anything on SOTT.

I don't know about all the extra tracks.

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Housequake and It both have lyrics that might be deemed in need of stickering/censoring.

EG.

Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  19. Trane

Trane Forum Resident

I always wanted something like this, exept I don't care much about single mixes, dance mixes etc, but the vault and the live show ! However, I checked the Utrecht show and damn that was slow.
    The Slow Show for sure was a deal breaker for me.

Too bad.

20. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I think the only album to come in both clean and unclean versions was Love Symbol.

croquetlawns and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That was a fad Warners went through....Erotica was the same (released in October 1992 as well).

EG.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  22. croquetlawns

I never knew that! I think we only had the 'unclean' option.

Timjosephuk and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I think the "clean" version was only released in the US. From what I remember it was only the first 2 songs anyway! (My Name Is Prince and Sexy MF).

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Emancipation had a clean version too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

There are F-bombs in "It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night" and "Adore", although I guess they are relatively easy to miss.

Eric_Generic, Mobs and Matthew Tate like this.