Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

if you've also heard the 2020 CD, how does the vinyl compare?
    Asking since the DR #'s (I know, I know...) appear to be about the same, so wondering if the vinyl's hi-res is a noticeable improvement over the CD.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I am normally asleep by then :D

EG.

croquetlawns and sunspot42 like this.
  3. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Sorry haven't heard the new CD release. I was referring to my 80s CD version.

4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, the vinyl is larger for starters.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What have price variations on the Big CD Box been like?

I've not seen much change on Amazon.

I've waited to buy in the hopes it'd take a big dip in price. Wondering if I should abandon hope and just buy it already!

fishyboots and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Wasn't this performed during this concert?

The groove and bass intro at 49:00 during 17 Days my favorite Prince moment so far. "This is a record". I really hope they put this record out on the Parade box, along with a dvd of Cobo Hall.

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have not been in this thread for a while so apologies if already mentioned but have just noticed this set is on UK Amazon for £99.99 for the cd and £199.99 for the vinyl - this is a Black Friday reduction!

Eric_Generic and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Thanks, but that's essentially the same price as US Amazon: about $135! :)

fishyboots likes this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the cd set before it was released when it was at it's cheapest in the UK at £143. After a couple of days I never saw it that cheap again on Amazon so this price below £100 seemed like a bargain!!

Gavaxeman and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Oatsdad

I guess that is a good price in your neck of the woods! :cool:

I'd have to see something super-cheap from Amazon UK to make it worth the hassle of getting it shipped across the ocean! :)

Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi Eric,

Have you (or others) compared the remaster of the album to the original CD?

I have read some positive things in this huge thread today, but I am curious about the EQ differences on the remaster.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Hi George, I've not compared them visually, via waveforms, but just to my ears there is a huge difference between the original and the new CD remaster. Mostly for the better. My ears, or my system, or the volume I chose to listen at, seem to create some anomalies on certain tracks....the drums in Play In The Sunshine, the vocals on It, which feel a bit too far back in the mix. But I might pull up the tracks in Audacity and compare the 1987/2020 CDs!

EG.

George P likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, does the remaster tame (but not too much) the brightness and/or add some bass, compared to the original CDs?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Pretty much! :) Lots more bass. A wider kind of sound. Far more detail. But yes, something has been slightly tamed/reduced/brought back into the deeper mix.

EG.

15. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Could someone who owns the vinyl set scan in the cover art of Live in Utrecht for me? I'd be happy to clean up the scan myself, I just need a hi-res image of this to make the cover art for my CD rips. I can't find a copy of it anywhere online.

Eric_Generic and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I thought someone posted all the scans on this thread.

fishyboots and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

If they did, I missed it. Thanks, I'll start searching the previous pages for them (maybe google images doesn't index this forum because nothing popped up there).

CBackley likes this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

They did indeed....800x800, or thereabouts. If that's HQ enough.

EG.

fishyboots likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Anyone happen to know if the 2CD and 3CD sets only differ by the third disc? Is the artwork and booklet the same in each?

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Nope, they're different designs.

The 2CD is really just a digipak rendition of the original, front and back. Same blue sticker style as 1987 too.

The 3CD has the artwork of the Boxset, with the "spotting" and the black rear inlay with tracklisting that slots in over the rear cover. It also has a peach sticker.

EG.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. Same booklet in each?

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I saw it today and wanted to share it.

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That I cannot answer! The images on Discogs for the 3CD only show the front and back.

EG.

24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

One thing i've recently noticed regarding the vinyl sets is that while Warner did go public and saying that SOTT deluxe was a one time only pressing, this seems to bode true for all their albums in general, not just Prince. Tom Petty's Wildflowers is going the same route, the 3 LP set (the album plus "All The Rest", 9 tracks) is now going for more than double what I paid for it (I am not a big enough Petty fan to want a 9 LP uber-deluxe set) and many reissues from the past 2-3 years are already also long gone. And I've noticed tons of Warner vinyl going out of print and going crazy expensive. It seems like at this point, only the perennial big selling classics like Purple Rain and Rumours are lasting beyond a single pressing and in general if there's anything you like coming from that company, buy it asap since it seems like once something is gone, it's GONE. At least Warner was courteous enough to let you know if if you wanted to get a super deluxe SOTT box set, best get it on release because it'll disappear quickly

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. I bought the 3CD set today and it only has the lyrics, it has none of the essays/interviews from the super deluxe set. And only three pages of pictures. :sigh:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020