Sign O' the Times - Prince (super deluxe edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, May 29, 2020.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No, sadly. I'm with you. I have an original SOTT and also find the single edits kind of a waste. But at least with this one, the digital/streaming release is mastered really, really well, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on that much sound-wise by not having $250-ish to drop on this vinyl set, as opposed to the 1999 one.

That said, it's certainly something that would sell, and I wouldn't put it past the estate to do this in the somewhat distant future after the fancy box sets have all sold out and they're looking for things to reissue. Like, they're going to run out of studio albums to reissue, and who knows what form other vault releases will take, so a standalone SOTT or 1999 outtakes LP set would be an excellent product to put out. If i were them I'd also trim the contents down to a 2LP set for 1999 and SOTT each, picking the best stuff from the bigger box in a vinyl-optimized running order. (I think most Prince fans would admit that even though most everything the man recorded is worth hearing to some extent, some vault tracks in these sets are clearly stronger than others)

I have no info, just hypothesizing in a "here's what I'd do if I worked for the estate" kind of way. Despite the man's incredible discography, eventually they will run out of reissues to keep pumping out, and I could see them repurposing some of the already-released vault tracks for some kind of other release one day.

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

No rumors about such a thing currently, though I think it may be unlikely because of the idea of manufacturing of a product that would overlap with what so many people already got with the deluxe sets and the fact all the tracks can be streamed or handpicked digitally for purchase.

That being said I know the 1999 set was much more limited than the SOTT set so I hope more people get the chance to acquire that deluxe set and its excellent Vault tracks as well

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

These tracks are the lure to get people to buy again. I doubt very much that they will reissue the unreleased stuff as a separate package.... at least not until the penny drops that it will generate a lot more sales.

HotelYorba101 and croquetlawns like this.
  4. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

5. miinsane

miinsane Forum Resident

I really wish they would release that 12/31/87 Paisley Park show as an audio release. Would love to have that show on vinyl!

905, CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

Honestly fairly surprised it took as long as it did! The 1999 deluxe CD set went out of stock fairly quickly by comparison

croquetlawns and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

That was probably a combination of factors:

1. They probably pressed significantly more copies of SOTT based on the quick sellout of 1999.

2. The higher price point for SOTT probably slowed sales somewhat.

8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Still available in the UK.

The vinyl is down to £155 which must be almost half what it was on release?

EG.

Matthew Tate and Gavaxeman like this.
  9. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Don’t tempt me (got the cd box already !)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

It's tempting, but I've already got the CD set, and I value my marriage.

11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I plumped for the LP box.

So far, I've not moved beyond the first double LP of Vault tracks, it's a great set.

But, I have time...

Eric_Generic and TonyCzar like this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The SOTT box is as close to perfection as any MoneyGrab has gotten. Leave it alone.

13. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Jack White has said he's releasing Camille on vinyl. That's one.

14. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Not really. Like the SD edition of SOTT, Camille will likely include both SOTT album tracks and vault tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I think all the tracks from Camille have been released officially. What we don't know yet is if the mixes are identical to the released versions and the segues between the tracks.

16. HotelYorba101

That is a good point - feel fortunate I was able to get the 1999 set in retrospect! I bought the SOTT set within the hour of pre-orders being available just in case lol

The deluxe edition of SOTT, while a bit up there in price is one of the best musical purchases I can remember making these past few years. There is not a week that has gone by where I haven't dived into some aspect of it, be it the album itself, the Vault tracks, or the live shows

17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

When I said vault tracks, I meant vault tracks from the SOTT SD box. I was making the point that Camille was going to likely use at least some of the tracks from the original SOTT, so it wouldn't be a standalone vault tracks release, strictly speaking.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Finally got around to picking up this vinyl box thanks for a forum member's sale. I've had the 1999 Super Deluxe LP set and have always enjoyed it.

Whew, this one feels like a 'we're not worthy' Wayne's World experience. So much to digest here, and the presentation is top-notch.

I've actually taken several 'proper album-only' listens to get myself in the right mindset for the period. Even after all these years, "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" is pure brilliance on many levels.

I'm trying to pace myself for the deeper tracks and live stuff. Sometimes I think it really is amazing we got this box at all. I'm putting this as a 10/10 along with the Metallica Super Deluxe boxes, and as best reissues of the 2020s.

19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Have you ever heard the version of Eggplant NOT in this box? One of the hidden gems for sure and wipes the floor with the version included. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have not! But will keep my eyes peeled.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Its got Wendy or Lisa (forget which) as the lead vocalist, going back and forth with Prince, arguing about his poor taste in girls, lol. It circulates in official-sound quality!!

Its absolutely hilarious as well!!!!

Maybe Eggplant isnt an amazing SONG, but this duet version is an absolutely spectacular TRACK. Seriously, its one of the best outtake leaks ever!!

:)

22. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

Similarly, the Yah U Know with 85 (86?) overdubs is also pretty cool.

For as nice a listen as this box is, there are tons of little oddities and mixes that should've been included somehow but weren't... and an even more puzzling selection with what fully finished tracks they did/didn't include.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I should have probably included a caveat with my glowing/initial review :) I'm not a Prince die-hard, nor will I ever know all the nuances of his catalog. So what could be (or is) missing falls into an 'ignorance is bliss' category. Regardless, I can tell when these boxset producers put some real work into the finished product, vs. when they slap something together to cash in. This definitely feels like a labor of love, even if there's legitimate things that are MIA.

24. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

No worries at all. Even for as much as I complain about the Comerica releases and how I think in a lot of ways they're drastically undercooked, it'd be silly for me to not admit that it's a herculean collection of gobsmackingly great music, same with the 1999 SDE. I think Comerica and Howe's approach was incomplete and misguided, but yes I agree that there was work and love put into it for the most part. Wasn't trying to bring you down about it, enjoy it!

25. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

It is a great box, even if there are some songs missing. One of the best super deluxe boxes I've ever bought, both in terms of sound and content. (though I did not get the vinyl version, just a digital version.