Sigur Ros - agaetis byrjun - original 1st record press sound quality...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

This thread would like to talk exclusively about the quality of the first vinyl edition made in England of this masterpiece; copy I own has marked pressing defects that compromise sound quality, especially by a marked background noise. Does anyone have the same experience with this rare first press? ...and above all: does anyone have a perfect sounding (or semi-perfect...) first record edition?

Really many thanks!

2. progmog

progmog Senior Member

From what I can see on Discogs, it appears that there were two versions of the first press - one which had A1/B1/C1/D1 matrix numbers, and one with just A/B/C/D matrix numbers. I need to check which one I have (will do so tonight), but what I can say is that mine plays flawlessly.

Stefano G. likes this.
  3. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

Thanks.
    Maybe it's just an urban legend, but it seems that the first (or so...) record editions of this album have many pressing flaws...

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Does anybody have the 25th anniversary pressing that came out recently (the normal edition, not the box set)? If it's an improvement on the recent (2017?) repressing I have I'd love to pick it up.

Stefano G. likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The copy I had was just the same as yours. Intolerable surface noise, especially for that kind of music. Bought new and visually fine. Sonically a nightmare. Sold it when prices were sky high, described it accurately, still got a premium.

Stefano G. likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I ended up getting this and just gave it a listen, flawless from start to finish without any noise in quiet parts.

RobNeil likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How much better than that 2017 pressing?

8. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Used to have one, bought it as an import when it was released. Sold it because it was super noisy.

Stefano G. likes this.
  9. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I just found out that Takk is getting a vinyl reissue next week, which I'm delighted about as its a favourite of mine....

10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Had the second press (DMM) and a third press of this (Agaetis Byrjun) - dont bother with either of them, both had inner groove distortion. Dont remember which side had that choir at the end of the track, but that choir sounded like muffled mess also, just awful.

edit: first press is probably impossible to find in NM condition, they have always used a very flimsy jacket on this album, not much mastering care have not been into mastering either.

11. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Any comment on the latest 2021 Pallas mastering and pressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.