Silo- new Apple science fiction series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, May 8, 2023.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Based on the Wool series of self published books from 2012, this is an interesting series.
    Set in a dystopian society where the outside world is toxic, the remainder humanity lives in a massive silo created for survival purposes.

Stars Rebecca Ferguson, it’s a well made series and-so far- two episodes in it’s intriguing. I don’t want to post anymore info because of spoilers.

ds58, pscreed, PTgraphics and 6 others like this.
  2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

+1
    This looks extremely promising. Love the books.

ds58, wayneklein, Leadfeather and 2 others like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

My daughter told me about this show. I got Apple TV for three months of free service just in order to stream this show. It definitely has me hooked after the first two episodes.

Doggiedogma and Amnion like this.
  4. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Have you read the books? Incredible story, and I always hoped (and dreaded LOL) it would get a TV series. So far it looks excellent.

formu_la, RSteven and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

For the first time ever, The Silo Saga Omnibus brings together all of the work in Hugh Howey's ground-breaking, best-selling, acclaimed series, including the individual novels Wool, Shift, and Dust, as well as original essays by the author, and a bonus chapbook of short fiction, Silo Stories.
    Probably NOT a coincidence.. LOL.
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have not read the books yet, but I really dig this whole premise so far. I am really picky about the genre of science fiction, but this story has really intrigued me so far. I love so much of the mystery behind it. One of the things I always dread is the ending to these science fiction movies or series. Sometime they just don't know how to end the story without it seeming like a huge let down. Hopefully, the books had a cohesive and logical ending. As usual, it is a very rare thing when a movie or series is ever able to match the expectations of a great book.

Amnion likes this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I'm very picky about sci-fi too.There's a huge backstory, and many interwoven stories to be explored here, and hopefully they'll have the time (and success) to able to get that far. Fingers crossed, but a fine start IMO.

RSteven likes this.
  8. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

So far (granted it’s only two episodes in), it’s been largely faithful without compromising just for the sake of compromising it. I do have a level,of trust with showrunner Graham Yost (Justified).

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    RSteven and Amnion like this.
  9. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Yes, and the production value (sets, etc.) seem very solid.

RSteven and wayneklein like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh man, I didn't catch that name on the credits. Justified is one of my top ten shows of all time. I can hardly wait for the premier of Justified: City Primeval.

Stone Turntable and Amnion like this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I watched the first episode and I liked it but didn’t love it. Does it get better as it goes on? I LOVE Rebecca Ferguson :love::love::love:

12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

This is a time worn premise in SciFi but it is well done. The books are very good and so far the series is also very good.

RSteven and Amnion like this.
  13. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Time-worn, as "Dystopian" undoubtedly is, but this is very promising. Hopefully the character development (and backstory) will measure up to the books.

RSteven and robertawillisjr like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Started watching this week, and I really like it so far! Good pace and good acting.

I'm not familiar with the book, so this is all new to me.

Amnion likes this.
  15. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

We watched what we thought was the first episode, on Apple TV+, last week, and got confused. Most of the episode took place underground, with all Asian characters. But all the ads I am seeing feature famous or recognizable actors. Two versions floating about? Will check it out.

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The first episode was terrific, but the show has already moved away from that storyline.:D

I’m not a fan of the hour plus length of the episodes either. Last nights show which spent most of its running time with characters fixing the ‘generator’ felt unnecessarily dragged out. I’m not a fan of the Rebecca Ferguson character yet either. Rather a shame as she appears to be the star of the show.:D

I would have thought an actress as established as Geraldine James would be able to knock out a decent American accent too. Whatever she’s doing is distracting and takes me out of the show.

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

This one (program) seems to be written for the long run. The characters' background are still being developed (I wonder where Common's character is headed) and embellished. The tension between outside and inside is kept high by continuously showing us the "window" and the dead bodies and the nuances/interactions between the three main power groups are being exposed.

Did the mayor commit suicide OR was she terminally ill OR was she murdered?

Amnion likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I’m guessing the latter.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Did episode 4 seem a little weak? Or was I just not paying close attention?

RSteven likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I have to say the only episode I’ve really enjoyed was the first one.

After that it’s become a different show.

phantasmagoria and RSteven like this.
  21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can see that. Initially, it had some quirky Severance-type of mystery. But maybe it's evolving into a more traditional drama.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I just can’t take to the Rebecca Ferguson character. And she’s almost never off the screen!

BTW, I’ve not watched Severance. Is it good?

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I’ve watched 2 episodes and am enjoying the series—very intriguing!

Leadfeather likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Absolutely! It’s nothing like “Silo,” though.

Kray, Stencil, SamS and 1 other person like this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The premise of this series sure seems a lot like Philip K. Dick's "The Penultimate Truth." I haven't gotten a chance to check out this series yet, but I will eventually. My wife spontaneously decided to retire lately and my watching and listening opportunities have become quite challenged.

Robert M. and Amnion like this.